Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Roll Call: Master's b. builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Muscular
    replied
    Perhaps we should call this the "Old Farts" thread?

I didn't start working out until I was 37 and although I knew I had great genetics I never realized where bodybuilding would take me. As I was approaching the big 4-0 I was determined to get into the best shape of my life so I started preparing for my first show. After that, I got hooked.

In 1998 at the age of 42 I decided to try my hand at a National show just to say I had did it and so I wouldn't wonder "what if?" the rest of my life. To my surprise I ended up getting a unanimious first place win as a bantamweight at the NPC USA show that year. In 1999 I came in second as bantamweight in the NPC Nationals.

I didn't compete again until 2003 and won as an Over 40 Lightweight at the NPC Masters Nationals, again with a perfect score. Last year (2006) at the age of 50 I made my last comeback and won as a Middleweight in the Over 50 class and as a Welterweight in the Over 40 class which I dropped down to compete with the "younger" guys, again with a perfect score.

While I didn't win my Pro card, which was one of my personal goals, I did end up winning four national NPC weight class titles in four different weight classes and all of them with perfect scores from the judges. These accomplishments are something I would never have dreamed of doing.

Now that I am retired from the bodybuilding stage I am still planning on being involved with bodybuilding, both as a NPC judge and next year as a promoter of my own show, the NPC Heartland Natural Classic which will be held on April 12, 2008 here in Minnesota... and yes, we will have a Masters class....

nuff said...

Leave a comment:

• esplendido
    replied
    I remember Ken Waller's description of Mike Katz in Pumping Iron..."like a big spider on stage"...and that fits me pretty much..LOL! It's hard to compete at 6'-4", even though I weighed 240 (shoulda been 220 for shredded) up against you guys at 5'-9" and 200. But I love to train and love to do the shows....and can now blame my weaknesses on age!

Old Navy, thanks for the info and invite. However, my physician has me on Androgel for HRT. My test level was 200 pts below the low end for our age group 2 years ago and he prescribed the Androgel without a blink. So, I'm not natural by any means and need the gel to keep lead in the old pencil, if ya know what I mean. I'll just have to go against the 50-over gearheads and see what happens.

Mike, thanks. I look at those photos and wonder what zombie possessed my soul while I was up there...LOL!

Leave a comment:

• hifrommike65
    replied
    Another set of esplendido onstage

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/b...rowse&id=11944

You have great presence onstage.

Leave a comment:

• Old Navy
    replied
    Rick:

Welcome back, Warrior. I'm happy for you. If you are interested, there are several drug-tested Master Pro Qualifiers you can compete in. The NGA, NPA, IDFA and FAME WNSO all have Masters competitions that lead to Pro status. You must be 'drug free' for 5 or 7 years, depending upon the Federation. No steroids, test boost, HGH, andros or prescription diuretics allowed. These shows are polygraphed and/or pee tested.

If you are interested, email me. (oldnavycapt@aol.com) and I'll send you some information.

Leave a comment:

• esplendido
    replied
    Yup, those pretty much tell the story, Mike.

Leave a comment:

• hifrommike65
    replied
    Over 50 Muscle Mayhem

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/b...rowse&id=11944

This set of pix, right, esplendido?

Leave a comment:

• esplendido
    replied
    I'm 50. I competed from the time I was 18 til 32 and quit entirely for 14 years. 3 years ago, I started back and boy has it been a journey. I discovered right away that I had arthritis in both knees from my previous training. No more squatting..dammit! No more really big legs, either...LOL! I had to dial training back to working each bodypart once a week rather than twice to recover sufficiently.

I planned at 47 (the new beginning) to compete at 50, since I'm 6'-4" and needed time to add mass. In Sept '06, I completely tore my left tricep from the bone on a heavy bench set. I couldn't workout the upper body until Dec '06, but wasn't up to full strength until Feb '07.

I competed in the Muscle Mayhem 50-over and got second.....out of Two! Too soft still. I dieted down 2 more weeks and competed in the Central Classic in Tulsa and won the 50-over (out of TWO again), but I was harder.

I learned a lot, especially that my body isn't wired like it was in my 20's and 30's. I know now that I'll have to cut carbs nearly to zero the last 2 weeks to shed that stubborn, thin layer of "old man" fat. But I'm looking forward to next year, perhaps competing in the Nationals Masters 50-over with 10 lbs more muscle and a lot "dryer".

It's been great to get back to the sport I've loved. 50 in body but 30 at heart!

Leave a comment:

• Buadain
    replied
    Originally posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
    Another............

NYC BIG MIKE
    Great poses Big Mike, congrats on your first show.

Leave a comment:

• NYC BIG MIKE
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Navy View Post
    Nice Pose. Congratulations on your first show. Well done, Warrior.

Thanks Old Navy. That might have been one of the few poses I hit right. Even though I placed in the two classes I did in a tough show, I learned how important posing is. As one judge said, "He's like a kid with a nice sports car but he doesn't know how to drive it". That hit home. LOL.

NYC BIG MIKE

Leave a comment:

• Old Navy
    replied
    Another............

NYC BIG MIKE
    Nice Pose. Congratulations on your first show. Well done, Warrior.

Leave a comment:

• NYC BIG MIKE
    replied
    Another............

NYC BIG MIKE
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• kiMbergman
    replied
    I'm 42 and still going strong. I have no idea how much longer I plan on competing... I guess I"ll know when I'm tired of it.... I don't see that in the near future!

I won my class at the Jr.USA in 2006 when I was 41.
    I think I'm just getting better~ (like fine wine! LOL)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just saw this. Here's one.........

NYC BIG MIKE

Lookin' good Big Mike.

Leave a comment:

• NYC BIG MIKE
    replied
    Originally posted by DBowden View Post
    Mike, got any contest photos ya can share with the forum?
    Just saw this. Here's one.........

NYC BIG MIKE
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    Originally posted by Naruto View Post
    come on masters.. pop some pix 4 us youngsters to see.

39 here...i'll be 40 come January and doing the provincials in 2 weeks to qualify for 2008 nationals...when ill be 40 ;o)
    P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X