Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Dude, is that a DB in your pants?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by woodswise View Post
    Hope you feel better soon, bud.
    Cheers. Pills are making me a lot better. Still have one day to go but my cough is pretty much gone.



    11-August 2012
    Wave 12, Week 2
    Squat / Deadlift

    Not my official week 2 workout. Will be squatting again on Tuesday but using this session to get familiar with the working weights again. Felt really strong on the deadlifts, snatches and the good mornings. I don't doubt for a moment that I could of gotten a new PR on the snatches and GMs tonight. After two weeks off sick, I'm fairly well recovered. Definitely feeling neurally more effective at moving the weights.

    Squat
    330 x 1 x 2

    2" Deficit Deadlifts
    440 x 1 x 3

    Good Mornings
    176 x 5

    DB Snatch
    110 x 1 x 2

    Comment


    • Originally posted by GermaniaK View Post
      Haven't trained for the past week and a bit. Been messed up with the flu and had this chronic cough that I couldn't get rid of. On antibiotics now and planning to be back Saturday.

      Also got my copy of WSBB: Book of Methods today. Looks extremely detailed.
      Is the WSBB: Book of Methods a copy of articles from the Westside site?
      My Competition Prep Journal

      Muscular Development Forum Rules

      Comment


      • EBook or print?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Bowden View Post
          Is the WSBB: Book of Methods a copy of articles from the Westside site?
          Yeah somewhat. The book goes a little more in depth with the commentary on specifics and of course clumps all the like-articles together, but the essentials are taken from the articles. No deep dark little black book secrets or any real new stuff.

          Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
          EBook or print?
          Print.

          Comment


          • Nice, I bet it's a great read.

            Let us know what you think of it.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
              Nice, I bet it's a great read.

              Let us know what you think of it.
              I've gotten through 70 pages. It's been full of good information but it is a serious mind fuck to read at times. A lot of the first 70 pages was reiterating the need to rotate your max effort lifts every 1 to 2 weeks otherwise your CNS will burn out. Literally the same phrase about a dozen or so times.

              This aside it's still good. Very in depth into the conjugate system.




              12-August 2012
              Wave 12, Week 2
              Bench / OHP

              Good session. Went heavier on the benching than expected.

              Bench Press
              286 x 1

              Barbell Rows
              220 x 5

              Standing OHP
              154 x 3 x 3

              Rope Face Pulls
              BW x 8 x 3


              Comment


              • WSBB: Book of Methods Looks like a cool book but they want $50 for it on Amazon. Is it worth that much money?

                I always laugh now when I read something like that -- good information but poorly written/edited, obviously the author is an expert at the subject matter but definitely is not much of a writer. I just skim the parts that are repetitive, because I can't stand to read the same point over and over again. . .

                Comment


                • Originally posted by woodswise View Post
                  WSBB: Book of Methods Looks like a cool book but they want $50 for it on Amazon. Is it worth that much money?

                  I always laugh now when I read something like that -- good information but poorly written/edited, obviously the author is an expert at the subject matter but definitely is not much of a writer. I just skim the parts that are repetitive, because I can't stand to read the same point over and over again. . .
                  I hear you on that. I've found a number of very basic spelling mistakes and grammatical errors too which I normally may miss, but stand out like dogs balls. You can clearly see the book wasn't edited, or not edited very thoroughly. Unless you are 100% wanting to buy it, don't buy it. If you are concerned with the outlay, you would be MUCH better off picking up Supertraining by Mel Siff for a little extra at $65. It's basically a text book and much of the WSBB training methods stem from the studies conducted by Mel Siff and Yuri Verkhoshansky. I.e. the need to train absolute strength as well as strength-speed and speed-strength, etc. Plus you will likely understand the concepts better without having to google.

                  http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles

                  You can get 80% of what you need from these articles. The other 20% is really just additional commentary which as I stated above, is repetitive throughout the book. I like the convenience of it all being lumped together but much of the book is a copy and paste job.

                  But all in all, if you want a value this book gives I don't think it is worth more than $15 or $20 (probably why it was express posted to me for no additional charge on standard international freight)

                  Comment


                  • 14-August 2012
                    Wave 12, Week 2
                    Squat

                    Not what I had in mind but I think Saturdays squatting was still hanging over me. Instead of getting a triple with 352 I hit three singles. Was weak out of the hole, so I threw some band squats in there too. From the pin squats I realised how damn weak I am at the hip flexors.

                    Squat
                    352 x 1 x 3

                    Band Squats
                    286 x 1
                    [Monster Minis]

                    Pin Squats
                    264 x 3 x 2, 286 x 1

                    Standing Leg Curls
                    66 x 10


                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by GermaniaK View Post
                      I hear you on that. I've found a number of very basic spelling mistakes and grammatical errors too which I normally may miss, but stand out like dogs balls. You can clearly see the book wasn't edited, or not edited very thoroughly. Unless you are 100% wanting to buy it, don't buy it. If you are concerned with the outlay, you would be MUCH better off picking up Supertraining by Mel Siff for a little extra at $65. It's basically a text book and much of the WSBB training methods stem from the studies conducted by Mel Siff and Yuri Verkhoshansky. I.e. the need to train absolute strength as well as strength-speed and speed-strength, etc. Plus you will likely understand the concepts better without having to google.

                      http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles

                      You can get 80% of what you need from these articles. The other 20% is really just additional commentary which as I stated above, is repetitive throughout the book. I like the convenience of it all being lumped together but much of the book is a copy and paste job.

                      But all in all, if you want a value this book gives I don't think it is worth more than $15 or $20 (probably why it was express posted to me for no additional charge on standard international freight)

                      LOL at dog's balls! Thanks for the review and the article link.

                      My trainer right now is a powerlifter and an MMA fighter. I am not aiming to be a powerlifter or fighter, but will do some PL training if it helps me build my muscles (he says it will and I believe him). He has me doing 10 sets of heavy weight to failure. He is urging me to try a variation on the smolov squat routine that he is working on. I will probably take him up on it.

                      Comment


                      • Numbers are all looking good G!! How ya been?
                        https://www.facebook.com/DavidLeesMPD
                        https://www.facebook.com/Ripped2ShredsPhysiques

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by woodswise View Post
                          LOL at dog's balls! Thanks for the review and the article link.

                          My trainer right now is a powerlifter and an MMA fighter. I am not aiming to be a powerlifter or fighter, but will do some PL training if it helps me build my muscles (he says it will and I believe him). He has me doing 10 sets of heavy weight to failure. He is urging me to try a variation on the smolov squat routine that he is working on. I will probably take him up on it.
                          Sounds like a full on program. I've never done any of the Smolov routines but have heard very good things about them.


                          Originally posted by SVT03DAL View Post
                          Numbers are all looking good G!! How ya been?
                          Very busy. Started my CPA studies the other week so now I'm trying to put in about 10 to 15 hours of study amongst working full time and going to the gym.


                          15-August 2012
                          Wave 12, Week 2
                          OHP



                          Standing OHP
                          184 x 3

                          Chins
                          52 reps
                          [10, 10, 14, 8]

                          Dips
                          40 reps
                          [15, 15, 10]


                          Comment


                          • been awhile since I stopped by, what are your goals for lifting, still going w/ the strength pl style program?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by MURDERBEAST View Post
                              been awhile since I stopped by, what are your goals for lifting, still going w/ the strength pl style program?
                              No problem bud, I'm amazed anyone stops in here given how little I've input into others journals this year. Been busy as shit but I just need to manage my time a bit better I think.

                              Yeah still focusing on just getting stronger, right now my goals are to get to that 400 squat by years end. Hopefully up my bench to 330 and nail a 500 deadlift with it. Haven't added any size for almost a year but I've kept in fairly good shape year round.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by GermaniaK View Post
                                No problem bud, I'm amazed anyone stops in here given how little I've input into others journals this year. Been busy as shit but I just need to manage my time a bit better I think.

                                Yeah still focusing on just getting stronger, right now my goals are to get to that 400 squat by years end. Hopefully up my bench to 330 and nail a 500 deadlift with it. Haven't added any size for almost a year but I've kept in fairly good shape year round.
                                Accept it, we like you cause you're a cool headed and focused dude. Also most packs are led by alphas (not trying to say you have your own pack or anything . . .)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X