Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Mobsters training diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday
    2HP @ 44mm (see comments)
    Packed some orders and then trained. Snow on the ground outside and very hard to get warmed up. The temp this week might fall to -5c in the evenings and not get over 2-3c all week. It was so much so that (as below) the top weights were a real struggle. I even took my kettle over and got it hot and put my hands (see '*' marked lifts) on it but I was still off. I'll go back later and do some thick pinch work instead.

Gloves on: equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, Gloves off: plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 80-kilos x 0, 1* rep, plus 82.5-kilos (104.5 total) x 2 x fail*.
    2-time 500 word MD essay winner. 4 x British Grip Champ (06,08,09 and '10)

Comment

• Back an hour later to try thick pinch with Loz. As I'd done some earlier I was off on the very last max weight set plus I also did 2 singles for everyone Loz did... anyway

Thick pinch (67mm/90-kilo disc)
      disc x 2 x 1 reps, plus heavy pin (4.5??) x 2 x 1 reps, plus 2.5-kilos (97) x 2 x 1 reps, plus 1.25-kilos (98.25) x 1 rep, jumped to plus 1.25 (99.5) x 1, miss, 1 reps topped out at plus another 1.25-kilos (scaled weights and pin at 10.6 so total weight was 100.6-kilos) x 3 x miss, miss, miss

Comment

• Damn this cold weather!! I did my usual Tuesday errands following a very good Monday for the company so training was later than usual. I also realized I'd done a workout or two ass about face so did grippers today. But I was well off my usual level due to the hands being so cold even with gloves. So I dropped down a notch and also went back with the working grippers to my much warmer house where I did the following:

Tuesday
        Torsion Gripper work
        Usual warm-ups to
        L/H: CoC 3 x 1 rep, BBE x 0, N, N, dropped back to CoC 3 (in house) VN, 0, 1, 1, 1, VVN, 1, VVN, 1, VVN (10 attempts in total)

R/H: HG350 x 1 rep, CoC 3.5 x 1 rep, BBSE x 1 rep, 'easy' 4 x 1 rep, 4.01 rated 4 x VN... dropped back to easy 4 and set myself a target of 10 singles (all done in house). 10 x 1 reps done

On another topic one of the members of Muscle Talk created this banner which I liked:

Comment

• Wednesday
          My aches and pains are bloody annoying. The lower back, right side, is just 'there' all the time but sometimes more than others as it is right now. As for my right shoulder... if this carries on I may have to rethink all benching of any kind. I'd said before xmas I might make it my last (08) big heavy bench year if I needed to. I'll give declines a spin next time to see if that doesn't hit the spot, as it were, and if that's ok I'll do that. I'll also look at some shoulder recuperation moves if need be.

DB Bench
          Nice-n-light to start off with: 25-kilos @ x 8 reps, 32.5-kilos x 8 reps, 42.5-kilos @ x 8 reps (note all weights are plates on the dumbbell only. The last pair were scaled so...), 49.7-kilos @ x 4 reps but this just hurt too much so although I felt good for more reps the discomfort was too much.

Super setted with

Low machine row
          50-kilos x 8 reps, 70-kilos x 8 reps, 90-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 8 reps. Loads more here and barely feel it in the shoulder joint. I may have a crack at the 4 x 15-kilo plate thing as per Paul Knight's suggestion later.

Comment

• Day 1 of the assault on the British DOMINATION!.

My sciatica was annoying and then the holds for time, even using my free hand to brace myself on a preacher bench, was made worse. I was shaking all the way through. Just gritting my teeth and determination made me get some numbers. That said, esp with my right hand, I held back from going all out just yet. The pump from these, esp at the end of a competition, will be of the scale. They also make my forearms get more freaky. I joked with Paul they'll be 17-inches by May.

Thursday
            2HP
            Much better even with my back playing me up something chronic. The air temp is a little higher which helped.

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 80-kilos x 1 rep, plus 82.5-kilos (approx 104.5kg) x 4 x 1 with a hold for time on the last rep. I could have done more but held back.

Baby Inch hold for time
            These were done with Paul on the stop watch. I set 40 secs as the target rather than go all out straight away. I wanna build up slowly to some sick number.
            L/H: 1st set x 40-seconds, 2nd set x 22-seconds
            R/H: 1st set x 40-seconds, 2nd set x 40-seconds.
            NB: To begin with I was taking my thumb off, pinky off, etc esp on the first sets but the second were much harder and I don't need to show off but get the job done.

Bwt: down again

Comment

• Friday
              Back aches as per. Joy of joys. Off to the accountant this am and nice news about a possible claim (and who knows some backdated wedge as well). So a late start on coming back working and training.

Seated Log Press
              Log (50kg) x 8 reps, plus 20-kilos (70) x 6 reps, plus 42.5-kilos (92.5) x 3 x 2 reps

DB Curls
              10-kilos @ x 8 reps, 20-kilos @ x 8 reps, 27.5-kilos @ x 2 x 6 reps. NB: first set heavy left hand, collar came off and weights landed on floor, carried on anyway. Grr.

TPD
              40-kilos x 8 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps, 87.5-kilos x 2 x 6 reps (should have been 85 but too lazy to get a 5-kilo plate).

Comment

• Saturday
                I did my old man impression (stooped over) first thing my gradually loosened up a little as the day went on. I was also up at stupid o'clock (4.30) so ate my usual and then got another hour or so. As per recent efforts the cold made training grippers (Vulcan today) that much harder and also had a slight affect (took longer to get going) on plate wrist curls. I had Paul video a rep or two and debated whether or not a 'over a bench' effort would be better than a over the knee effort (videos later). Finally I did a little formulator work for the opposing muscles because I was getting small twinges in the back of the wrists.

Vulcan Gripper
                B/H: L1 x 6 reps @, L7 x 3 reps @
                L/H: L12 x 1 rep, L14 (no work with 15 until 14 done properly again) x 0, VVN, VVN, 1, VN, VVN, VVN,
                R/H: L16 x 1 rep, L18 x 1 rep, L19 x VVN, VVN, 0, VVN, VN

Plate Wrist Curls
                B/H: 5-kilos x 6 reps @, 10-kilos x 3 reps @, 10-kilos and light pin (as before) x 3 reps
                L/H: (all plus l/pin) 11.25-kilos x 3 x 3 reps, 12.5-kilos x 2 x 3 reps
                R/H: (all plus l/pin) 11.25-kilos x 3 reps, 12.5-kilos x 3 reps, 13.75-kilos x 3 reps, plus 15-kilos x 2 reps.

s/set with

Formulator
                app x 10 reps, plus 2.5-kilos x 10 reps, plus 5-kilos x 10 reps, plus 7.5-kilos x 10 reps, plus 10-kilos x 8 reps

Comment

• Monday
                  Not sure if old age is kicking in or whether I no longer need an alarm clock but up early again today (6am)

2HP @44mm
                  Took a while for me to get the 'this will be good' feeling but job done. It may, however, have made the work to follow that little bit harder.
                  equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 80-kilos x 1 rep, plus 83-kilos (approx 105) x 4 x 1 reps

Baby Inch for time
                  My god this was brutal, both times and both hands.
                  L/H: 40-second hold, 25-second hold
                  R/H: 2 x 45-second holds (hard on my iffy back even with me supporting myself with my free hand).

Comment

• Tuesday
                    Hard work today. My right hand was down on strength compared to the left using a thumb over grip and every single with 160-kilos and 175-kilos made me a little dizzy. I sipped a glucose drink to help and will FEED today as well.

One hand deadlifts
                    B/H: 60-kilos x 6 reps @ (t/o), 100-kilos x 2 (t/o)+2 (hook) reps @, L/H: 140-kilos x 1 rep t/o and 1 rep hooked, 160-kilos x 1 rep hooked, 175-kilos x 3 x 1 reps all hooked
                    R/H: 140-kilos x 0, 0 t/o and 1 rep hooked, 160-kilos x 1 rep hooked, 175-kilos x 3 x 1 reps all hooked

Comment

• Wednesday
                      Went to GN and tried seeing if pre-ex'ing the chest helped. Had no problems getting a pump etc on the cables (slight twinge and did one set only with light weights) or pec dec (no pain) but declines hurt a little with my usual close grip and less so with the wide. I'll go right back to basics, or in my case 60-kilos, for multiple reps wide and see how I get on.

Pec dec (old universal style variable resistance machine)
                      13 x 12 reps, 25 x 8 reps, 35 x 8 reps, 42 x 6 reps

Decline Bench
                      60-kilos x 8 reps (close grip / some ache), 90-kilos x 3-6 reps (I did a couple close, a couple wide and so on - see note above).

Low row
                      4p x 10 reps (silly easy), 8p x 8 reps, 12p x 8 reps, 13p x 6 harder reps. I'll assume this is 130-kilos or close to it. I prefer our machine.

straight arm pull down
                      7p x 8 reps, 8p x 6 harder reps. Nice burn in armpit as per. Also preex for pullovers.

pullover machine
                      5p x 15 reps, 9p x 10 reps, 14p x 10 reps, 18p x 8 reps. All felt ok.

Bwt: still off what it should be. Most annoying.

Comment

• Wednesday pm
                        In lieu of the MM3 attempt Saturday with Sam I trained torsion grippers this evening.

Torsion Grippers
                        Usual warmups

L/H: GM x 1 rep, CoC 3 x 3 x 1 reps (note last times effort), BBE x 3 x VVN and the last was a gnats ball off or VVVN.

R/H: BBE x 1 rep, HG350 x 1 rep, BBSE x 1 rep, CoC 3.5 x 1 rep, E4 x 1 rep, 4.01 rated 4 x 5 x VVN

Bwt: up and down like a yo yo. With kit etc on our scales, after lunch and so on 284lbs

Comment

• Thursday
                          Busy this am (the RB grippers being added to my eBay account etc) with more to do but training as always...

2HP
                          Good solid workout. The gloves on 82 was, to be frank, stupidly easy and after a little wobble with the first max weight rep the rest were rock solid.
                          G/On: equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep G/Off: plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 80-kilos x 1 rep, plus 83.5-kilos (105.2) x 6 x 1 reps (2 more than targeted 4 x 1)

Comment

• Friday
                            So much for resting... I probably should have done so as well (see TPD). So I'll try not to do anything Sunday. I also realised I did not take my creatine until after.

Seated Log Press
                            log x 8 reps, plus 20-kilos x 8 reps, plus 45-kilos x 4 x 1 reps

DB Curls
                            10-kilos @ x 8 reps, 20-kilos @ x 8 reps, 27.5-kilos @ x 3 x 6 reps, All ugly looking.

TPD
                            40-kilos x 10 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps, 87.5-kilos x zero. Stopped as I'd run out of steam.

Comment

• Saturday
                              Had a good size crew down today and was expecting more. Still lots of fun and, towards the end, goofing around (photos elsewhere).

adjustable prototype gripper
                              Trained using the adjustable prototype gripper RB sent me.
                              B/H: F1/R1 x 6 reps @, F3/R3 x 3 reps @, cut off vinyl on handles as I did not like this. Cont: F5/R5 x 1 rep @, F6/R6 x 1 @ (had for left hand).

L/H: F6/R6 x 4 x 1 reps

R/H: F8/R8 x VVN rep, F7/R7 x 4 x 1 reps, F7/R8 x 2 x 1 reps

Comment

• Sunday
                                Plate wrist curl
                                Added a spring collar which helped (as per a suggestion elsewhere) and also worked up to an actual 15-kilo plate with the right hand.
                                B/H: 5-kilos @ x 6 reps, 7.5-kilos pin etc x 4 reps.
                                L/H: 12.5-kilos + pin, collar etc (14.1kg total) x 3 x 3 hard reps
                                R/H: 12.5-kilos + pin (1.35kg), collar (about .25) etc x 3 reps (easy), 15-kilos + pin, collar etc (16.6) x 1 rep (had to reset bloody camera) + 3 reps, x 3 reps reps, then a 15-kilo plate x 2 reps and a failed 3rd rep. NB: on 1st plate nigh on flipped over as per warning by David. I use my free hand to spot as required. Form was hard on this set.

Reverse grip on formulator
                                equ x 6 reps, +2.5-kilos x 10 reps, plus 5-kilos x 6 reps, plus 7.5-kilos x 2 x 6 hard reps

Photo of lighter set up. See position of collar etc. I make sure this is on the opposite side to the thumb so as to give as much room as possible:

Video of some reps. I have to concentrate on keeping the wrist down. Note how I am now using a bench and not over the knee as before:

Comment

Working...
                                X