Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Mobsters training diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow is Rolling Thunder work (an event at the upcoming Euros) being done with a thumbless grip and some, if my back lets me, Kettle Bell work. The KB is both for core strength which I desperately need, back strength (ditto) and cardio-vascular work.

Here's a short video from the 2008 British Grip Championships (which I won) doing the thumbless RT lift (which I also won):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcsrv6yfAPA

The shorts (as wonderful as they look ha ha) help cos I can use my free hand to push off.
    2-time 500 word MD essay winner. 4 x British Grip Champ (06,08,09 and '10)

Comment

Here's a photo of one corner of the gym. The leg press was donated, the seated press never gets used and needs to go. The dumbbells I paid next to nothing for when they were sold by a local gym. The leg curl was donated. The dumbbell (80-kilos / 176lbs) I brought the handles via mailorder from the US at Weightlifters Warehouse. Half under the leg press are two of our four 70-kilo (empty) each farmers bells. Almost out of view is the chalk records board where we keep numbers to encourage each other.

Comment

Just cracked off my submission for the next 500 word essay comp (I hope they still do subs mines almost up he he).

Comment

this is a killer thread. love the avatar.
          my strongman training
          Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Comment

Glad you like it. The lads (or regulars) are well involved in the strength scene here in the Uk. I'll blow my own trumpet another time but one of the better known is Laurence Shahlaei. Here's a photo of him wrestling (it was an event this year) the eventual winner of the yet to be televised (probably August in the UK) Britain's Strongest man Jimmy Marku. Both are over 300lbs bodyweight.

The photo is one I took at the competition held down in Minehead here in England. It is a slightly cropped version of the original and was a lucky shot as I held the camera up over a crowd. Laurence, or Lozza, TT, Tabletennis or a number of other names we have for him is face towards the camera. Check out Jimmy's monstrous calves! One of our lads has then tinted and played around with the image a little to give it some pizzazz!

More to come.

Comment

Here's another of Lozza taken at our Xmas 'Whey Power Challenge'. The event was an informal gathering - much like the Animal Pak get togethers - for some of the lads and lasses that had been down to train with us during the year. Lifts were Squat, Bench, Deadlift and an overhead and one grip lift. Loz did a 698lb squat and this 770lbs deadlift. I benched 177.5-kilos / 390.5lbs which was then the record. All 24 in attendance then went for a proper Xmas dinner:

Behind him is my business partner Mike and sitting is a visitor Richard. Note the thick bar or Axle behind Mike. Lozza is not using any lifting aids except a belt and chalk. He has since done 13 reps with 660lbs and says he feels good for an 800lb single.

Comment

yeah cool.
                ever make it over to the US?
                my strongman training
                Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Comment

I was last there (competing) in 2004. The www.dieselcrew.com boys hold a competition called the GGC (Global Grip Challenge) and I was lucky enough to get $900 / 500 sponsorship. I came 4th of 18.

Comment

yeah the diesel crew has a good event.
                    my strongman training

Comment

Monday
                      Thumbless R/Thunder
                      B/H: 45-kilos on heavy pin x 8 reps @
                      L/H: 87.5 (accident) on light pin x 1 rep, 85-kilos x 9 x 1 reps (v good)
                      R/H: 97.5-kilos x 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0 all over the place today. The last successful rep was solid as you like and then I missed the next one. Strange

K/Bell
                      didn't feel like it so did atlas instead

Atlas stone
                      80-kilos / 176lbs x 3 x 1 to the chest and 3 x 1 onto the platform. The last one made me dizzy. I am real good at picking them up due to the flat handed strength carried over from grip training but rarely, if ever, actually put them onto the 50" platform.

Comment

good training. have to dig out my RT.
                        try hercules holds with 2 RT's in a crossover.

do you use tacky on the stones?
                        my strongman training

Comment

No tacky ever. A little chalk. As I said the grip work means I have no problems handling them. Indeed I've picked up much heavier stones and lapped them.

That said I probably shouldn't have platformed the 80 yesterday cos since about 7ish last night I've been crawling around the house in agony. I've a long term ongoing back problem of 2 partially prolapsed discs.

I've found that any time I lean back (like putting the stones on the platform) that irritates the bulges and kapow down I go. In fact round back lifting sometimes helps ease the pressure. Baring in mind I had 2 lots of back work last week... man it hurts. I've just had a hot bath which has helped a little and will be sticking a support belt on so I can go and run some errands.

Did I mention it hurts?

Comment

i have discovered training without tacky really helps especially when a contest comes around.

ouch that sucks! take care of that back.
                            my strongman training

Comment

Nice to see someone else doing some strongman events. Cool, I did some keg carry's today for the first time, my goodness my hamstrings were on fire. Goodluck with the back pain.
                              AAEFX Internet Rep
                              AAEFX.com prrstraining.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dabear View Post
                                i have discovered training without tacky really helps especially when a contest comes around.

ouch that sucks! take care of that back.
                                That's what we found. Train hard and compete easy.

New 500 word article submitted

Comment

Working...
                                X