Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone.
Just as a friendly reminder between December 7th thru December 8th, the forum will be undergoing an upgrade and service may be disrupted for a period of time. This maintenance will be done at a time that will impact traffic the least, but offer huge benefits. Especially with the Olympia right around the corner.
Enjoy and thanks in advance for your understanding.
Best
Jen

PS Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Mobsters training diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday
    Another struggled session. I may need to rethink the shoulder and arm sessions for now. As in a metaphorical button reset (start again for another run at the big numbers). Lower bodyweight makes some exercises harder due to lack of leverage.

Seated press
    bar x 8 reps, 50-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 6 reps, 100-kilos x 2+F. Grrr so over to machine and 3 x 6 x stack.

S/S with

DB H/Curls
    10kg x 8 reps @, 20kg x 8 reps @, 30kg x 8 reps @

TPD on LPD
    9p x 8 reps, 11p x 8 reps, 12p x 6 reps (tough)

Bwt (not with full kit on as per winter): 285.5lbs @ GN
    2-time 500 word MD essay winner. 4 x British Grip Champ (06,08,09 and '10)

Comment

• Easter / Good Friday
      Nice late start to the day as there's f'all else on the cards. Or at least not until Ant said he wanted to train in the PM. Other than that f'all.
      One hand deadlifts thumb over
      Using same bar as before. On the day I want to use a 100% straight one so am practising with what will probably be a little more than I can lift on our 2-degrees off true bar.
      B/H: bar x 6 reps (used one hand as intention is to warm up back and legs only), 60-kilos x 3 reps @, 90-kilos x 3 reps @, 120-kilos x 1 rep @ No belts at all.
      L/H: 142.5-kilos x 4 x 1 reps. Support belt only
      R/H: 162.5-kilos x 4 x 1 reps. Support belt only

Weaver to the front (see NB)
      B/H: Same warm ups as before. Inc solid bar x 3 reps @ and +1/2-kilo x 1 rep @
      L/H: +1-kilo x 3 x 3/4 reps (arm slightly bent). The 1/2kg jump is monstrous at this level.
      R/H: +1-kilo x 3 x 1 reps. All ok if somewhat hard. Arm as above. Need to adapt.

NB: Checked USAWA rules for clarification and noted that they require the arm to be locked. I'd been asked if I did this on Facebook and said I hadn't noticed. So noticed today and then checked the rules after. I will need to adapt.

Comment

• Saturday
        2HP
        Too extra care with the skin and worked to +85-kilos (106.7) x 1,1,1,1,0,1,1, varying thumb placement for skin saving reasons. The belly of the flexors (ie: in the 'meat') was feeling it.

Orbi
        50/50 B/H, B/W. N/S as usual.

Comment

• Sunday
          Legs
          Leg Press
          80-kilos x 8 reps, 160-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 280-kilos x 8 reps. All bar the first set allowed the small niggle on my right knee to annoy me. I put on a knee support for 240 and 280kg.

Leg Ext
          60-kilos x 8 reps, 125-kilos x 8 reps, Stk+25-kilos (170) x 8 reps

Leg Curl
          20-kilos x 8 reps, 30-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 7 r/p reps

Comment

• Monday
            V/Gripper
            B/H: L1 x 6 reps @, L7 x 3 reps @, L10 x 1 rep @, L13 x 1 rep @,
            L/H: L15+b x 1, 1, VN*, 1, 1 reps (* poor set)
            R/H: L16+2b x 5 x 1 reps (good session)

Weaver (rear)
            Some progress today, time to up the weight a bit next time in spite of back aching (see below).
            B/H: w/up, bar x 3 reps @, +1.25-kilos x 3 reps @, +2.25-kilos x 3 alt reps @.
            L/H: +2.75-kilos x 3 x 1 reps
            R/H: +3-kilos x 3 x 1 reps (last 2 singles 'easy')

For some bizarre reason during weaver work my left lower back decided to spasm. I can only think I was a little too energetic during leg extensions yesterday (leaning forward as I straightened my legs). It's damned annoying and so, if I can, I'll do 2x stretching sessions today. Grrr

Comment

• Tuesday
              Double overhand thick bar deadlifts
              I was somewhat concerned that this might be a no go due to the spasm yesterday but once fully warmed up (also post walk into town - which helped) I was able to work to an 'easy' 190-kilos where I left it in lieu of leg 4 Saturday.

2HP
              Shaky but able to work to a single (where I stopped again) +85-kilos.

Curls (for fun with the boys)
              To 40-kilos over bar weight x 8 reps then tape comes out... right arm cold 19-inches and not much more pumped...

Orbi (ditto)
              right forearm cold 16 and again not that much more after but apparently all veiny and nasty cos of the comments I got as I did 2 minutes.

No more training for the rest of the week and most of above was done with Sam and Ta (Will) visiting along with H, Loz, Ant and Chris in attendance. As per a comment of Mike's... the suns out and we had a full house.

Comment

• Stupid ass computer... I now can't get OE to come on so will not be able to read emails until it's fixed.

Sunday
                @ GN
                Double over hand thick bar deadlifts
                35-kilo bar x 8 reps, 105-kilos x 3 reps, 135-kilos x 1 rep, 165-kilos (support belt on) x 1 rep, 195-kilos (both belts) x 1 rep, 202.5-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

Comment

• Monday
                  Busy day thus far. Work and training. My focus is now 100% on being the best I can for the Brits.

Back @ WG
                  Lat Pulldowns
                  80-kilos x 8 reps, 110-kilos x 8 reps, 140-kilos x 8 reps, 162.5-kilos+ x 5 hard reps

Front raises (seated)
                  +5-kilos x 8 reps @, +13.5-kilos x 3 x 8 reps @ (2 hard and 1 hardish sets)

Low Rows
                  70-kilos x 8 reps, 110-kilos x 8 reps, 137.5-kilos x 6 hard reps

Weaver (F)
                  NB: the difference between a go rep and a no-go rep is 0.25-kilo. I need a way to micro-load (lead shot in a bag??)
                  W/up both hand to bar x 3 reps each
                  L/H: +.5-kilo x 2 x 1 reps, +1.0-kilo x F F.
                  R/H: +.5-kilo x 2 x 1 reps, +1.0-kilo x 2 x 1 reps, +1.25-kilos x F, F, F.

Comment

• Tuesday
                    running a little late as Naz came in the am and I was expecting him in the pm and spent some time talking about motivation at the end of the session.

Vulcan Gripper
                    B/H: L1 x 6 reps, L7 x 3 reps, L10 x 1 rep, L13 x 1 rep. Hardish warming up but ok as I got going.
                    L/H: L15+2b x N, VVN, VN, VVN, VVN
                    R/H: L16+2b x VN, VVN, N, 1, 1, VVN

2HP
                    Half way through the sloppy max weigh set I decided to tape the set up and it was 42mm and not, as it should have been, 44mm. One 30-second job with a spanner and see what happens.
                    42mm t/over equ x 6 reps, +30-kilos x 3 reps, +50-kilos x 1 rep, t/off +70-kilos x 1 rep, +75-kilos x 1 rep, +80-kilos x 1, 1, F, 1 rep. Spanner and adjusted, +80-kilos x 6 x 1 reps. NB: check the damn width.

As per chat with Naz we also had a go at 1 and 2-inch v-bar lifts. I worked to a 135-kilo effort on the 1" and a 120+ effort on the 2" for fun. I've not done any real work on the 1" in a long time. I told Naz how I used to see the bar filled to the brim (200kg plus) and so on. The mind set must be that way to be the best. He wasn't two handing what I was doing 1 handed. But the message is the same.

Comment

• Wednesday
                      Tomorrow will be a planned rest day. Road tested new Zulu Wrist Wraps - Defcon

@ GN

Seated machine press
                      1/2 stack x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, +40-kilos x 6 reps, +80-kilos x 6 reps, +120-kilos x 5 reps.

H/Curls Dumbbell
                      10-kilos @ x 8 reps, 20-kilos @ x 8 reps, 27.5-kilos @ x 8 reps - alt, 35-kilos x 8 hard reps - alt.

s/s with

TPD on LPD
                      9p x 8 reps, 10p x 8 reps, 11p x 8 reps, 12p x 8 reps - PB on this machine I think

Bwt: 288lbs

Comment

• Friday
                        Following on from the rest day I went to GN to try one hand deadlifts (a la the Euros) using a straight non-cambered at all bar to see how much of a difference said bars made. Not much it seems.

One hand deadlifts thumb over
                        B/H: bar x 6 reps each, 60-kilos x 3 reps, 90-kilos x 3 reps, 120-kilos x 1 rep, 140-kilos x 1 rep (took 2 attempts on my right somewhat annoyingly - I wasn't locking it in).
                        L/H: 145-kilos x 3 x 1 reps - more than last time (142.5kg x multiple singles)
                        R/H: 150-kilos x1 rep, 155-kilos x 1 rep, 155-kilos x F, 1 rep. This was down a few kilos from my gym (162.5-kilos x a few singles)

Off to mine to pack orders and do Weaver to the rear in a mo.

Comment

• Saturday
                          Deliberately started late as I knew we had a good size crowd down today inc Kye, Chris and a mate, Andy C, Carl, Mike, G and Ethan, Loz, Nick McKinless and myself. Highlight of the other lifts was Loz's 170-kilo axle over head (I also saw his 182.5kg from a rack on his phone) and Loz's successful attempt (second time this has been done) of putting my Millennium overhead. In fact he had two cracks at it with the first being 100%.

2HP @ 44mm!!
                          worked to plus 82.5-kilos (104.20 x 6 x 1 reps and 1 x a double to finish. As before got better the more I did.

Dinnie work
                          heavy pin, handle etc + 87-kilo disc x 12 reps a hand, +40-kilos (about 130kg) x 12 reps a hand, +60-kilos (about 150) x 2 x 12 reps a hand. The idea not being to max out (I KNOW I can lift 180kg) but to get some volume work/tolerance to the reps. If I do it again (in say 2 weeks time) I'll do sets of 15 reps.

Some more pinch work with Nick and Loz. This included working to 93-kilos (inc set up) at 52mm using only the rubber inserts. I failed (2 attempts) at 98-kilos which Loz got.

Comment

• Sunday
                            Legs
                            Leg press
                            plate x 12 reps, 80-kilos x 8 reps, 160-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 320-kilos x 8 reps. No belts, wraps, straps.

s/s with

Leg Ext
                            60-kilos x 8 reps, 125-kilos x 8 reps, 145-kilos/stack x 8 reps, 170-kilos (stk+25kg) x 8 reps. No jerking.

Leg Curl
                            20-kilos x 8 reps, 30-kilos x 8 reps, 41.25-kilos x big struggle.

Comment

• Monday
                              @ GN
                              Double over hand thick bar deadlifts
                              No thick bar available as I started so standard O' bar used.
                              bar x 12 reps, 60-kilos x 3 reps, 100-kilos x 3 reps, 130-kilos x 1 rep, 160-kilos x 1 rep, 180-kilos x 1 rep, 205-kilos x 1,F,1,1, The best rep was the last one.

Bwt: 293lbs (eqv to 289lbs)

Comment

• Tuesday
                                Busy, busy...

Vulcan Gripper work
                                B/H: L1 x 6 reps, L7 x 3 rep, L10 x 1 rep, L13 x 1 rep
                                L/H: L15+2b x 1, VVN, VVN, VN, N
                                R/H: L16+2b x VN, VVN, VVN, VVN, N

Weaver (F)
                                B/H: warm-ups, bar x 3 reps,
                                L/H: bar+1/2kg x 3 reps, moved to mid-point x 3 reps, to end x 3 reps
                                R/H: bar+1/2kg x 3 reps, +1kg x 2 rep, +1.25 x 2 x 1 reps

Bwt: 289lbs on our scales

Comment

Working...
                                X