Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Mobsters training diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today, as per an arrangement with Paul 'Viper' Savage, we had a very famous powerlifter come to our gym here in Gloucester. We've already attracted some of the up and coming strength athletes as well as some of the more well known names due to the wide and varied equipment we possess as well as the rough and raw atmosphere we have there.

Due to some confusion between Paul and our guest over ordering issues of an Inzer Shirt Paul offered, once that was resolved, to 'show you some grip stuff to help with your deadlift'. More on that in a moment. Here's the first photo:

Paul had the guest use a set up for pinch that he could put together in most gyms without the need for special equipment. The gloves are to save the skin for powerlifting (... another clue)

The guest went over a variety of ideas he could try including Vulcan Gripper work (standard and inverted as well as closes), pinch (as above), blob and thick handled dumbbell as well as wrist roller and thick bar lifting. Here's he's doing timed holds with a baby Inch dumbbell:

He also had his brains picked by Paul and Harry 'H' Shahlaei over some benching and deadlifting questions.

Have you guessed who it is yet?

2-time 500 word MD essay winner. 4 x British Grip Champ (06,08,09 and '10)

Comment

Sunday
      3 more sessions including this one to go.

Seated Press
      50-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 6 reps, 102.5-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

Thick bar d/o deadlift - sumo
      s/setted with heavy singles on press. GN bar weighs 35-kilos, no collars used.
      75-kilos x 3 x 1 reps, 115-kilos x 1 rep, 155-kilos x 2 x 1 reps. I'm aiming for 165-170-kilos at the event.

D/B Curls
      10-kilos @ x 8 reps, 18-kilos @ x 8 reps, 30-kilos @ x 6 reps (was fucked now)

TPD
      s/setted with curls
      stack x 8 reps, plus 25-kilos x 8 reps, plus 45-kilos (could not find another 25-kilo disc) x 12 reps (10+2)

Bwt: 281.5lbs

Comment

Sunday pm
        Back to the gym after much umming and ahhing for some 2HP. Hands still a little off with both over training and skin still torn/sore being the reason. The first few heavy singles were nice n shaky ha ha. The rest ok, with a small square of tissue doing it's job at the base of my left thumb, except for the very last rep which was very much touch and go so stopped. I'll have to take a look to see where 12 x 1 with 97-kilos is in regards to PB's for volume.

2HP @ 44mm
        equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 75-kilos (97 approx) x 12 x 1 reps as above comments. On the last 2-3 reps my hands started to cramp a little on the little finger sides of my palms.

Comment

Monday am
          Back in the gym again. This time RT which I've deffo over trained. Hopefully the complete rest I'll be getting after the last session either tonight or tomorrow (grippers) will see me right on Saturday. It's worth mentioning that I was better earlier this year with 90+ left hand and 105+ right hand and seem way off those marks at the mo. That said the last two sessions have been all volume and done to blast, blast and blast the grip some more so...

T/L/R/T (all LP)
          B/H: 45-kilos x 8 reps @

L/H: 91.25-kilos x 0 reps, 85-kilos x 0 reps, 80-kilos x 1, 1, 81.25-kilos x 1, 1, 82.5-kilos x 1, 1, 83.75-kilos x 1, 1, 85-kilos x 1, 5!!, 86.25-kilos x 1 and 87.5-kilos x 0 Note how I could not pull 85-kilos early on and then did 5 reps with it later. Annoying or what?

R/H: 91.25-kilos x 4 x 1 reps, 93.75-kilos x 1 rep, 95-kilos x 1 rep (H), 93.75-kilos x 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 reps

Comment

Trained this morning on TLRT and tonight, my last session before the event, on Grippers. It was good.

Monday pm
            Grippers
            B/H: (as per) CoC 1 x 6 reps @, HG200 x 1 rep, CoC 2 x 1 rep, HG300 x 1 rep

L/H: GM x 1 rep (solid), CoC 3 x 1 (solid), VN, VVN, 1, VVN, 1, VVN, VVN as my 3 is similar to the 3.29 used in events I'm happy with this.

R/H: CoC 3 x 1 rep, BBE x 1 rep, HG350 x 1 rep, CoC 3.5 x 1, 1, 1, VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN reps As my 3.5 seemed harder than Sam's (used the other day for 12-14 singles) again this is more than ok. I just need to get my 3.5 CCS attempt in the right place as I also wanna go to 3.81 (with a paralell set) at the event if I am feeling good.

Comment

]Tuesday
              Back in the gym after the Euros (I won) for shoulders, arms and a little gripper work. Daft sod that I am I forgot to take the settings list for the Vulcan so see below:

Seated Press
              50-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 6 reps, 105-kilos (42.5-kilos a side) x 3 x 1 reps (on last rep left arm was dragging behind).

V/gripper work
              Giant setted throughout workout.
              L1 x 6 reps@, l7 x 3 reps@,
              L/H: L11 x VN, 1, 1, 1, 1 reps
              R/H: L15 x 1 rep, L16 x 2-3 x 1 reps (not properly noted)

D/B Curls
              S/S with press
              10-kilos @ x 8 reps, 18-kilos x 8 reps, 25-kilos x 2 x 8 reps

TPD

Bwt:
              20st 2.5lbs / 282.5lbs on GN scales

Bonus pic of me winning the double overhand thick bar deadlift with 170-kilos:

Comment

Wednesday
                Some work to do was half done last night so a few minutes and then my warm up meant I'd had both time and energy to do some more work on the thick bar. Given how just about bloody awful this had been for me (I wish I'd taken a photo) just three months back when I did a sideways impression of a banana with a mere 135-kilos to win at the Euros was nice. Prior to my leaving our BSM/WSM competitor Laurence Shahlaei 'casually' (ahem) mentioned doing 180-kilos. At the Euros, with fire in my belly, I felt I might just have made 180 myself so thinking that 1) I'd like to spend a little more time on the exercise to see if I could improve (what with my lower back being relatively crap) and 2) see if I could hit 180-kilos today. Onwards...

Double overhand axle (2" thick) deadlift
                NB: Bar weighs approx 30-kilos as is.
                plus 40-kilos (70) x 6 reps, plus 60-kilos (100) x 4 reps, plus 80-kilos (110) x 4 reps, plus 100-kilos (130) x 2 reps, plus 120-kilos (150) x 1 rep, plus 130-kilos (160) x 1 rep, plus 140-kilos (170) x 1 rep, plus 150-kilos (180) x 1 rep. The last one, while hard from the floor and which, for a second, made me think I might 'touch cloth' still felt like I may just have had another 5-kilos in me.

Comment

Thursday
                  2 hand pinch @ 70mm at GN
                  using the usual 2 x 15-kilo plates matched for size and a 2-inch diameter pin to stick the plates on but not allowing for spring style Olympic collars I did the following:

43.6-kilos x 6 reps
                  63.6-kilos x 3 reps
                  73.6-kilos x 1 rep
                  83.6-kilos x 1 rep
                  88.6-kilos x 1 rep
                  91.1-kilos x 1 rep
                  93.6-kilos x 1 rep
                  96.1-kilos x 1 rep*
                  98.6-kilos x 0 reps
                  96.1-kilos x 0 reps
                  93.6-kilos x 5 x 1 reps
                  * indicates that I did a max single of 95-kilos on a Euro set at 48mm during the Euro event but wasn't getting a good grip. I did not rub in chalk etc as some do on this set up using 2 discs only yet did more and then did 1.4-kilos less for 5 singles. All on a much thicker set up.

Comment

Friday
                    I supersetted every single set today. So one bench and one lat pulldown then repeat. Note lat pulldowns were all leaning back/half rowing style (nice for thickening the back up which is good for benching)

CG Bench
                    60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 142.5-kilos x 4 x 1 reps (at first I wasn't sure if I'd get these but once warmed up I was ok)

Lat Pulldowns
                    80-kilos x 8 reps, 110-kilos x 8 reps, 140-kilos x 8 reps, 150-kilos x 3 x 6 reps

Nice half pump.

Half a banana and a protein shake after

Comment

• Err just noticed a cock-up. The bench should read 140-kilos x 1, then 142.5-kilos x 4 x 4 reps.

Comment

• Monday (bank holiday)
                        Another day another training session. My need to be the best remains in place. Such are my thoughts when on the platform.

2HP @ 44mm
                        equ x 6 reps
                        plus 30-kilos x 3 reps
                        plus 60-kilos x 1 rep
                        plus 70-kilos x 1 rep
                        plus 75-kilos x 1 rep
                        plus 77.5-kilos x 1 rep
                        plus 80-kilos x 0, half up
                        plus 80-kilos x 1, iffy
                        plus 80-kilos x 0, half up
                        plus 80-kilos x 1, ok
                        plus 80-kilos x 1, best
                        plus 80-kilos x 1, solid
                        plus 80-kilos x 1, good
                        plus 80-kilos x 0 - did not budge

I think 5 successful singles with what was scaled at 102.3-kilos is my best ever session.

Comment

• How long do you rest between sets?

Comment

• Tuesday
                            CG Bench and MM1 cert attempts

CG Bench
                            60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 145-kilos x 4 x 3 reps

MM1 Cert attempts
                            See Gripboard for result.

Comment

• Originally posted by FUTURE View Post
                              How long do you rest between sets?
                              I don't time it so would have to guess. I'd say 2-3 minutes usually. Most workouts used to take, back when I did heavy duty style training an hour to 1hr 15mins. Now it's about 2 hours a pop.

Comment

• Wednesday
                                double over hand thick bar deadlifts
                                At GN using a 35-kilo solid bar
                                bar +
                                40-kilos (75) x 4 reps
                                60-kilos (95) x 3 reps
                                80-kilos (115) x 3 reps
                                100-kilos (135) x 2 reps
                                120-kilos (155) x 1 rep
                                140-kilos (175) x 1 rep
                                150-kilos (185) x just off lock out
                                145-kilos (180) x just off lock out.

I need to drop weight and work on form and do more multiples with about 160-170-kilos

Bwt: 280.5lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X