Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Mass question for all the Science Whiz guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass question for all the Science Whiz guys

We all learned in physics that F (force) = M (mass) x accelation

The almost universal analogy was that if two football players were accelerating at the same rate, but their overall mass was different, that the one who had more mass would exert more force in the end.

Can this pertain to lifting as well? I know that there are certain lurking variables such as motor recruitment and how well adapted the CNS is to a particular lifting style.

But for this instance, assume we observe one individual for applies the same acceleration (maximum amount possible) to a given weight. Would a difference in the mass of that individual change the amount of weight he would be able to lift (the amount of force he could produce)?

We often associate heavier people to be automatically stronger because a punch, for example, from a larger arm in terms of mass, would hurt more than say a skinny guy.

Just wanted opinions on the matter since we always tie gaining strength with gaining mass in the weightlifting game, I want to work towards some big goals on my main 3 lifts and have been wondering if putting on more mass would aid in this.

Thanks

GridIron

Yes, you've seen how people utilize other bodyparts besides arms to lift a heavy weight when they aren't large enough to lift a weight..they use more mass and also accelerate the weight up quickly...however, some thin guys with lots of slow-twitch fibers and years of lifting can outlift bodybuilders...saw a 180 pound guy with maybe 15-16" arms at 5'8 press 365 twice at my gym the other day (though he did arch his back a bit it was nothing crazy).
    žonne god wile eoršan lifes ende gewyrcan!

Comment

There are too many genetic variables to consider to answer this question accurately.

Looking at your statement as presented: take 2 people identical in every way except that person 1 weighs 200 lbs and person 2 weighs 300 lbs....now all things considered (same height, same structure, same fast/slow twitch muscle make-up %, etc) person 2 is larger because they have more muscle fibers, and according to your theory where they have the same CNS recruitment, then yes, person 2 would be able to lift more than person 1.
      You wouldn't know what fun was even if it beat the shit out of you. -Big Jimsty

Comment

Originally posted by GridIron400 View Post
        I want to work towards some big goals on my main 3 lifts and have been wondering if putting on more mass would aid in this.
        how exactly are u working your lifts? for reps like bodybuilding or one rep max as in powerlifting? IMO the 3 lifts are about 50% technique and 50% strength. for example, a guy weighing 180lbs with perfect technique can probably squat more than a 200lb guy with less than perfect technique. but a 200lb guy with perfect technique most of the time will squat more than a 180lb guy with perfect technique. having more mass/muscle in general will help you to handle more weight, but you still have to perfect your technique on the big 3.
        I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

Well, thats part of what brought on the question. I injured my lower back/glutes about a year ago doing heavy deadlifts. And for the longest time after that I began losing strength in all of my lifts. I have been hitting back from a bodybuilding style approach to hopefully strengthen and build endurance in the muscles with higher reps before I began hitting the heavy weights again.

Actually tonight was the first time i deadlifted over 315 in the past year and it felt pretty good. Did 365x2 and then 365x3. My goals are to get each lift to at least 4 plates for now and once I can reach that Ill probably re-evaluate my goals and continue moving forward. My bench was close to 400, but with focussing more on back and legs and rehabilitation, It has gone down to about 340-350 for the moment.

I am 6'1 and ~200-205lbs. Bf%=9-10%. 21 years old in April and planning on being natty for the rest of my life. I experimented with two PH cycles and eventually an injectable cycle. I was too young but thats not really the purpose of the thread.

My main objective was to determine if in trying to up my lifts, if increasing bodyweight, whether it be muscle mass or something else is going to be a key factor is gaining back lost strength as well as surpassing my previous best lifts and continue on the journey to getting into the "big weights".

Current lifts:

Bench Press: 340-350lbs
          Deadlift: *As of today 365x3, I figure I can hit 5-6 if i did an all out set.
          Squat:340-350 if i do them with a box. But im focussing on legs too.

Sorry for the long post but basically, I am thinking of a 3 day split with one of each main lift on a different day and supplementory exercises for that day as well.

My current idea is that I can start out at higher reps (10) for endurance/ hypertrophy and with each week up the weight and lower the reps by 2. Until 5 weeks later when I have progressed to sets of 2 and then re-evaluate the training cycles with new poundages.

Opinions are definitely welcomed! I want to get stronger but i want to also remain healthy and keep size in the process and I figured a staggered weekly approach could be most effective and safe.

GridIron.

Comment

Yes LBM will obviously cross over to some degree, to strength.
            www.IronMagLabs.com

15% off on all IronMagLabs products at the IronMagLabs store= H4TW15

Comment

Working...
            X