Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How Much Time Should You Rest Between Sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Time Should You Rest Between Sets?

For most of my time training, I usually take between 3-5 min breaks between sets.
    I need this time to catch my breathe, recover, and be ready to get the next set.
    Everything I read though seems to indicate you need 60-90 seconds, MAX, if you are going for hypertrophy.

I find this shocking, I don't know how I could do a workout at this pace.
    Like right now I do DB Incline Bench...say 4X5 of 75.
    I need every bit of those 4-5 minutes so I can recover and get 5 reps.
    If I did cut down my rest to 60-90 seconds, I'd be lifting A LOT less weight.

1) Just wondering which is the best way to do it for somebody like me trying to gain size.

2) How do you shift from say 4X5 for 75 with 4-5 minute breaks to say 3X10 with 60-90 seconds?
    -Is this really the better way to train for these goals?
    -I'm just afraid I'm going to be down to doing 50 pounds or 55 pounds...my thinking was you should rest as long as you need so you can lift as much as you possible can.
    Shorter rests means you, or at least me, will be lifting much less.

3) Do you all do 60-90 seconds for all your exercises?
    -I was thinking of doing it where say for compounds like Bench/Squat/DL I take 3-5 minute rests...but for all complimentary exercises 60-90 second. Make sense?
    3-5 minutes
    0.00%
    2-3 minutes
    30.77%
    60-90 seconds
    69.23%
    My Journal:

I do 3-5min of rest on all power movements like deadlifts, squats, power cleans, power snatches, etc. For all compound movements I usually take 2:30sec rest and for all other assisting lifts like face pulls, bent over rows, laterals, skulls, pressdowns, zottman curls, etc I take 1min rest.

As you see I can't answer the question with just 1 number b/c it doesn't work like that, at least not for my training.

Also, as you develop your conditioning you'll be able to cut your time down. It all depends on what you want to achieve/goals.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Comment

Similar for me.
      Strength in life and lifting.
      shawnbellon.com

Comment

I do about 20-30 seconds between each sets that about it.
        "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Comment

45-1min for bb style and 5-10 for PLing
          http://www.blacklionresearch.com/

WORLD PHARM =

Comment

Dorian Yates training calls for a 1 minute rest which is enough for me to be back in breath but still feeling it. He says if you are struggling with recovering after a heavy set, you should look at your cardio because that might be holding you back. Oxygen can't reach the muscles in sufficient quantities, meaning longer recovery times. Give it a try sometimes.

Mind you after the exercise you rest 5 minutes, usually if I am out of breath on a heavy set, I'll wait two minutes TOPS then gear back up and go.
            Those who can't, say YOU can't

Comment

as much time as it takes to change the weight and let my training partner do his set. around 90 seconds probably.
              Not Everything. Not Yet.

Comment

i use to stare at the clock.. but gear changed that
                Rise of the falleN

Comment

If I am doing an isolation movement I might only rest 30 seconds, if I am doing heavy deads I usually rest about 5 minutes between sets
                  All statements made herein are fictional and are solely for entertainment purposes

Comment

i have never timed myself, i just get back at it when i feel i'm ready.
                    your only as strong as your mind, so consider yourself weak.
                    Yep...cats before cunts like my grandma always used to say. - BBOY

Comment

Same as most above. Power movements 3-5. Most accessory excersises just long enough to catch my breath and get set for the next set.

RP

-

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker View Post
                        as much time as it takes to change the weight and let my training partner do his set. around 90 seconds probably.
                        You train with a partner?
                        My Journal:

Comment

Usually between 40secs and 1 min for me. Get in and get out.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
                            You train with a partner?
                            Most of the time. Today I didn't.

So, As much time as it take my training Partner to do his set and then for us to change weights if needed-
                            Not Everything. Not Yet.

Comment

For heavy sets 3-5 minutes, but when going lighter 30s to 2 minutes. I generally do both types of movements in the same workout.

Comment

Working...
                              X