Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

front squats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete6891 View Post
    question: i discovered that my right ankle is less flexible than the left ( probably injury from my childchood ) it never really bothered me until i started training legs. its very hard to me to perform free weight squat both back and front, if i want to go heavier i have to lean forward because my knee just wont go any further, doing it this way i feel big pressure on my back. whats your advice? thanks.
    Are you 100% sure it is an issue with your ankle flexibility? It seems more an issue of just not having the proper squat form down. Your ankle joint really shouldn't be moving very much at all.

Seems more like you are trying to break too much with the knee joint rather than sitting back, and coming off the balls of your feet instead of driving through with your heels - which essentially will be putting stress on the knee joint causing uncomfort and fundamentally making you want to lean forward.

Comment

Originally posted by pete6891 View Post
      question: i discovered that my right ankle is less flexible than the left ( probably injury from my childchood ) it never really bothered me until i started training legs. its very hard to me to perform free weight squat both back and front, if i want to go heavier i have to lean forward because my knee just wont go any further, doing it this way i feel big pressure on my back. whats your advice? thanks.
      You should NEVER lean forward. That will lead to a severe injury.

You should put a heal on your shoe to help open positions and make it easier to lower yoruself. If you don't have a shoe w/heel (oly shoe), try a 1x4 under your heel. It will help you. My advice is spend the $80 on a pair of Olympic weightlifting shoes and that will fix your issues.
      Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Comment

More likely to be tight calves than anything to do with your ankle IMO. As above - squat with a shoe with a higher heel or place a 2.5kg plate under your heel. That should reduce the need to lean forward and increase your depth.

Comment

i like doing front squats on the smith machine.
          There are only 2 types of people in this world without beards : women and children.

Comment

i'm going to give these a try next leg workout. tried them a few times with arms crossed and form was shit. i can see where the correct method would work much better.

Comment

front squats require much more cordination and skill than back squats, but once youŽve mastered them youŽll love them

Comment

Originally posted by inhiliator5000 View Post
                i like doing front squats on the smith machine.
                You'll never get the benefit on a smith machine that you'll get performing the with a bar in a rack. It takes the stress off the abs and lower back b/c you don't have to stabilize the weight. The bar is in a fixed state. It can't sway forward, backwards, or side to side. Do them in a squat rack oly style and you'll get more results in 8 weeks than you've gotten in 8 months in a smith machine.
                Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Comment

Strange that the OP hasn't been back on after their initial post?

Comment

Originally posted by Giant View Post
                    I did front squats for the first time today, I didn't enjoy them.
                    The last few reps are the ones that count, well on front squats the last few reps are the ones where the bar fucking falls off your shoulders.

I know I'll have shitty technique because it was my first time but how on earth do you keep the bar sitting on them while simultaneously focusing on the squatting movement?
                    that will develop over time. go light with higher reps until you get comfortable with the movement

Comment

Originally posted by Mini Forklift View Post
                      Strange that the OP hasn't been back on after their initial post?
                      I have been reading and I appreciate the responses, thanks.
                      the hope still lives and the dream will never die

Comment

i tried this front squat method for first time last leg workout [ had to use straps and took a little to get the feel of it] and i struggled with just 1 plate each side, but the next day my legs were sore all over. gonna give them another try next week and see if i can the form better.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc_Nbg View Post
                          front squats require much more cordination and skill than back squats, but once youŽve mastered them youŽll love them

more coordination than I typically have early in the morning.
                          Try not to let hurdles hold you down because they will always be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Giant View Post
                            I have been reading and I appreciate the responses, thanks.
                            You think you'll give them another shot?

Comment

You could use a tribar thats what i do

Comment

i squat with hex bar
                                hands in line with hips and its a back squat
                                move the weight forward and transfer it to quads and its a front squat

most people use high handles and get no depth

the weight is easier to balance though using high handles so i flip it over after warmup and use them for higher weight
                                only going to parallel (platform allows deeper squat)
                                http://krohdaddi.tumblr.com/
                                Originally posted by bolsen
                                Whatever you do, don't take a screenshot and post that pm...

Comment

Working...
                                X