Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Train to failure - TO BE OR NOT TO BE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train to failure - TO BE OR NOT TO BE

http://www.flexonline.com/training/train-failure-or-not

Interesting read, would be interested in hearing some thoughts on this article.
    DlewBolsenviciousVSILBB23RMBvillanEvanCentopaniAri esGeorgeForemanRules

An age-old question of [COLOR=blue !important]bodybuilders
    is whether or not to take each set to “failure.” By failure I mean momentary muscular failure. This is when the weight stops concentric movement. Simply put, failure is when you can no longer lift the weight.
    If you go into most gyms that still allow lifters to do their thing, you will see nine out of 10 guys and gals straining mightily as they take each set to failure. Some think that this is the only way to [COLOR=blue !important]buildmuscle[/COLOR]. The thinking is that most of the reps you do up until muscle failure are pretty much worthless; it’s only the last two or three that trigger growth. It all comes down to fiber recruitment, they say. If you don’t train 
to failure, some fibers never get called in to help and those fibers will then not be stimulated to grow. There isn’t time or space to address all of the questionable thinking in that statement, but at least you get the picture. Yet others do the same thing but for a different reason. Each and every workout for them is a test of their mettle; a gut check, if you will. Anxious for rapid progress, they test themselves on every set of every exercise, desperately trying to experience greater strength than the previous workout. Normally these are younger guys who have yet to realize that miracles don’t happen overnight. If you are familiar with any of my writing, you will already know where I stand on the issue; nevertheless, I am always open to new data and the implications they might have on training strategies for growth. One new study just happens to add quite a lot to the conversation.
    Researchers in Denmark recently published a study looking at recruitment patterns in the deltoids during lateral raises. Before I go further, let me say there are a few shortcomings to this study, but I still think the insights it provides are worth noting. This study compared heavy loading (3 reps) versus lifting to failure and used electromyography (EMG) activity to determine fiber recruitment. I should note that the subjects were untrained and the resistance apparatus was elastic tubing. Now, before you write this off as irrelevant, hear me out.
    What they found was that EMG activity was actually higher at the midway point for the lighter resistance than it was for the 3rd rep of the heavy set. But this isn’t the important part. They also found that EMG was maxed out before reaching failure. That’s right, they found that EMG activity and hence [COLOR=blue !important]muscle fiber[/COLOR] activity was higher during reps 10–12 than it was at failure using a 15-rep load.
The take-away message from this study, despite its subject pool or use of elastic bands, was that muscle fiber recruitment plateaued 5 reps before failure. So, put this little tidbit of information in your toolbox and use it the next time you’re planning your training strategy. It may just allow you to train but not overtrain.
    Reference: Sundstrup E, et al, “Muscle Activation Strategies During Strength Training with Heavy Loading vs. Repetitions to Failure,” J Strength Cond Res. 26(7):1897-903; July 2012

[/COLOR]

Comment

^^^Thank you

Comment

i thought jason was with MD?
        The faggot list:

Silly <gaylord
        ViciousVagina forever buttfucking
        DLB < superman
        SWR < tranny
        Bogdi P the Romanian buttwarrior, loves lorenzo
        Rocky tranny fucker
        Noel fucker => can't help bray
        Lorenzo > likes Romanians up his butt
        ritch the swim bitch!

Comment

Only a photo

Besides, I think MD dropped him long time ago.

Originally posted by alexxxxx View Post
          i thought jason was with MD?

Comment

lil mama isn't what you did (copy and pasting content from rivalry websites) conflict in interests at your position?

Comment

Originally posted by Sacrifice Without Regrets View Post
              Only a photo

Besides, I think MD dropped him long time ago.
              Roelly, seth,mcmillan,kai greene and now heath MD's getting worse everyday !! WTF
              The faggot list:

Silly <gaylord
              ViciousVagina forever buttfucking
              DLB < superman
              SWR < tranny
              Bogdi P the Romanian buttwarrior, loves lorenzo
              Rocky tranny fucker
              Noel fucker => can't help bray
              Lorenzo > likes Romanians up his butt
              ritch the swim bitch!

Comment

If you're only training one way...then you're doing it wrong. Lee Haney says, "Stimulate, don't annihilate", but everyone has watched Ronnie Coleman's old workout videos where he's definitely annihilating. Which one of them is wrong? Neither. Just mix up your training.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacrifice Without Regrets View Post
                  lil mama isn't what you did (copy and pasting content from rivalry websites) conflict in interests at your position?
                  if ya say so but i DONT CARE and I rather they view it here than click the link to go over to the other site. Unless your trying to drive traffic to Flex then I can just delete the whole thread.

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with the individual. We all have different capacities and capabilities. How many football players (used to running) would drop dead in a cross country race?

One thing for sure - I've seen many, many guys go overboard in the number times they strain in a workout, trying to copy the supposed workouts of champions, and these same guys don't get much in the way of results. Their last sets have 2 or 3 ragged, cheating reps. They use too much weight and sometimes all reps from the very beginning are bad.

Frequently these guys are beginners who don't realize how much steroids are helping the guys they are trying to emulate.

Many of these guys work upper body only or even just chest and arms only.

Years ago I saw a few of these guys add a few sets of squats so they could enter local powerlifting contests. Ironicly they would make steady gains in the squats doing one set at the highest weight once or twice a week, not really exerting themselves, but would make no gains at all doing 10-40 "working sets" of pressing per week.

Mama, you look terrific in that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbellBeast View Post
                      If you're only training one way...then you're doing it wrong. Lee Haney says, "Stimulate, don't annihilate", but everyone has watched Ronnie Coleman's old workout videos where he's definitely annihilating. Which one of them is wrong? Neither. Just mix up your training.
                      I think this is the key to continuing to make improvements...variation - esp if you are a natural athlete.
                      NGA PRO BODYBUILDER
                      Team P/RR/S Warrior

Comment

Working...
                      X