Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weight Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Machine?

Hi there. Well, I'm not a hardcore body builder like most are on this board, I'm sure. I'm actually a very heavy guy (268). About 3 weeks ago, I decided to get off my fat ass and do something about it. I'm on an eating program and I alternate treadmill weights every other day, 7 days a week. My question is this. How is a weight machine going to work for me? I don't have any free weights, and we have a massive weight machine in the basement. In the past 3 or 4 weeks I've noticed that I'm getting bigger, but it seems too soon. Also, I'm only getting bigger in my upper chest/shoulder/frontal delts area. It's like all the upper body exercises I'm doing are only serving to make that area grow. I can't see that I'm lifting wrong... It's a weight machine; I can only lift one way. But is this a fatal flaw of the weight machine? Does it always put the imphasis(?) on that area just because of the WAY the exercises are done? Like the bench press is seated. I can't do a traditional press? Thoughts. Please help! I've finally gotten off my ass, and I don't want to be doing something wrong or counterproductive. THANKS!

Ben
    A country boy can survive ...

LemonPeppo Art
    www.lemonpeppo.com

My best advice would be to get a gym membership if you can afford it! If you want to develop your body in proportion you need an different assortment of machines and free weights. I've used plenty of machines you are talking about,HELL I even spent 2,000 on a bowflex. But mothing compares to getting it on in a real gym! Stick to a good diet hit the cardio, hit the weights and you'll be on the right track. Good luck!
    TRAIN

Comment

The biggest factor you face is having the motivation and discipline to work progressively. Keep working toward improvements over what you did last time, aka, progressive overload. Keep a written log - no one can honestly remember everything they did! But eventually you will out grow the machine you have and you will need to leave the comforts of your home to pursue a gym membership. Hopefully this beginning will hook you into moving to the next step.

BTW - the body will not grow too far out of balance. This is one reason why some advocate Squats for a bigger chest... doesn't make sense right? Actually it does, especially for the natural bodybuilder. If you neglect parts of your body (especially the largest muscles in your body, located below the waist - save the jokes ), your upper body will stop growing. A lot of drugs might get it to respond again, but once the drugs are stopped - bye, bye gains as you return to a natural environment.

The body must be worked as a whole. Use what you have now progressively, but be prepared to eventually find more suitable facilities for your goals.
      Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I wasn't training my legs at all, as they're already pretty large from carrying around WAY too much weight my whole life, but I think I'll start doing that too. Also, when should I start to increase weight? I've had some people tell me that you should lift comfortably and I've had some say that the minute you're able to complet your sets without thinking you're going to die, you have to increase. THanks again!

LemonPeppo Art
        www.lemonpeppo.com

Comment

Originally posted by gntlben
          Thanks for the help guys. I wasn't training my legs at all, as they're already pretty large from carrying around WAY too much weight my whole life, but I think I'll start doing that too. Also, when should I start to increase weight? I've had some people tell me that you should lift comfortably and I've had some say that the minute you're able to complet your sets without thinking you're going to die, you have to increase. THanks again!
          If you want your body to change - you have to provide a reason why. It will not add muscle unless it sees it as a necessary adaptation. You provide the stimulus, you rest and feed the rebuilding process, your body adapts and then you provide a greater stimulus for the training supercompostion. How often you should workout depends on things like: age, current conditioning, nutrition and sleep habits...

Keep a written log of what you do everytime. Then try and progress either with a slight increase in the load (don't try and take large steps), additional repitions or an overall increase in work in the same amount of time.

If you do 10 reps of 6 plates. Next time push for 11 reps for 6 plates or 7 plates for 10 reps... either way, you progress! And this is what gets your body adapting to the need to become stronger... and stronger means greater muscular energy stores and mass.

The big thing is to make this as much of your life as taking a shower... think of it as basic hygiene. The human body was made to be worked - basic exercise is a necessity for a healthy body. Just like brushing your teeth or proper grooming. Whether you take it to the next step down the line, to reach the goal of maimzing your genetic potential - is up to you. But for now - lay the foundation... then worry about how to build the house.
          Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Comment

Hey, I just want to give a GREAT BIG THANKS to all you guys that have responded and given me some insight and tips. I'm so pumped up for my workout when I get home from work, I almost left early. THanks so much, guys.

Ben

LemonPeppo Art
            www.lemonpeppo.com

Comment

Originally posted by gntlben
              BEN, I feel ya on bein' big. I'm 6'2" 333, and I got some big-ass calves to prove it! HAHA, dude just lift as much as you u can. EX-if I'm gonna do bench presses,I do a couple of light FEEL-SETS, then 1 set with as much weight as I can handle with good form!

Comment

dats how i started, fed up and dedication... bought my first crap bench at a garage sale, guy thru in the vinyls and a few bars for an extra ($40) i got robbed!.... i just kept sweaping the papers for more weights and saved up for a leverage gym w/leg and pull down... I didnt get much support so, i suggest do wat u WANT and ignore the rest. Currently my work out partner ditches all the time so...

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

Working...
                X