Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

STOP LIFTING TOO HEAVY! Increase # of REPS & SETS, not WEIGHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STOP LIFTING TOO HEAVY! Increase # of REPS & SETS, not WEIGHT!

Almost EVERY bodybuilder I've ever met has been guilty of this CRITICAL ERROR; focusing too much on the AMOUNT OF WEIGHT being used, and NOT on perfect FORM, EXECUTION, and number of REPS and even SETS. Somewhere along the line, in the quest for ultimate SIZE and the unfortunate disregard for proportion, symmetry, and overall aesthetics, bodybuilders became convinced that they needed to lift heavier and heavier, instead of smarter and smarter...

There are FOUR hypertrophic pathways, 4 WAYS in which you can build muscle tissue. To cause hypertrophy, and more importantly, maximum hypertrophy, 4 different variables can be INCREASED. You can increase the:

1.) Amount of weight that you're using
    2.) Number of REPS that you perform
    3.) Total number of SETS that you perform
    4.) Level of intensity

It's unfortunate that most guys in THIS ERA completely overlook numbers 2-4 and focus almost ENTIRELY on number 1,which is simply increasing the amount of WEIGHT--NOT the best for maximum hypertrophy, certainly not alone. Take a look at guys like Arnold, Serge Nubret, and Robbie Robinson, and wonder why they had such amazing development; it's because of how they TRAINED. Arnold would NOT be training partners with Branch Warren, let's just say.

I want you to do an experiment for me, to all of those who this is hitting home with; I want you to START INCREASING REPS & SETS--USING THE EXACT SAME WEIGHTS THAT YOU ARE USING NOW. You can NOT increase the amount of weight UNTIL YOU CAN PERFORM 15 PERFECT REPS! So if you're only using 120's for 6 reps at this point on the shoulder press, now your goal is to use the 120's for 15 perfect reps. Once you can do 120's for 15 reps, you are NOW ready for the 130's.

SECONDLY, I want you to add 1 set per exercise every two weeks. So right now if you're doing 4 sets of 4 exercises, next week you can do 5 sets of 4 exercises, do that again the following week, and then continue adding sets gradually, per exercise. In addition, you can vary intensity, by adding dropsets or supersets in the the regimen, but we will talk more about that in another article. There is also the topic of TRAINING FREQUENCY, which ties in to INTENSITY. I believe that training once per day is ok, but twice is good and three times is OPTIMAL. Sometimes you can train several days in a row, sometimes you can train every other day. But again, this is another topic, and needs to be elaborated on to avoid confusion.

I can GUARANTEE you that you will have significant gains in muscle mass and even strength, by increasing the number of REPS and SETS that you perform, instead of increasing the amount of weight. You'll also be much DENSER, something that many bodybuilders LACK as a result of this critical error of focusing on the wrong things.
    Last edited by Ross Erstling; August 7, 2013, 11:57 AM.
    -Owner/President, Supreme Sports Enhancements

Oh my god

Comment

Originally posted by Ross Erstling View Post
      Almost EVERY bodybuilder I've ever met has been guilty of this CRITICAL ERROR; focusing too much on the AMOUNT OF WEIGHT being used, and NOT on perfect FORM, EXECUTION, and number of REPS and even SETS. Somewhere along the line, in the quest for ultimate SIZE and the unfortunate disregard for proportion, symmetry, and overall aesthetics, bodybuilders became convinced that they needed to lift heavier and heavier, instead of smarter and smarter...

There are FOUR hypertrophic pathways, 4 WAYS in which you can build muscle tissue. To cause hypertrophy, and more importantly, maximum hypertrophy, 4 different variables can be INCREASED. You can increase the:

4.) Level of intensity

It's unfortunate that most guys in THIS ERA completely overlook numbers 2-4 and focus almost ENTIRELY on number 1,which is simply increasing the amount of WEIGHT--NOT the best for maximum hypertrophy, certainly not alone. Take a look at guys like Arnold, Serge Nubret, and Robbie Robinson, and wonder why they had such amazing development; it's because of how they TRAINED. Arnold would NOT be training partners with Branch Warren, let's just say.

I want you to do an experiment for me, to all of those who this is hitting home with; I want you to START INCREASING REPS & SETS--USING THE EXACT SAME WEIGHTS THAT YOU ARE USING NOW. You can NOT increase the amount of weight UNTIL YOU CAN PERFORM 15 PERFECT REPS! So if you're only using 120's for 6 reps at this point on the shoulder press, now your goal is to use the 120's for 15 perfect reps. Once you can do 120's for 15 reps, you are NOW ready for the 130's.

SECONDLY, I want you to add 1 set per exercise every two weeks. So right now if you're doing 4 sets of 4 exercises, next week you can do 5 sets of 4 exercises, do that again the following week, and then continue adding sets gradually, per exercise. In addition, you can vary intensity, by adding dropsets or supersets in the the regimen, but we will talk more about that in another article.

I can GUARANTEE you that you will have significant gains in muscle mass and even strength, by increasing the number of REPS and SETS that you perform, instead of increasing the amount of weight.
      Well if you say so, youre the expert so I think we would all be stupid not to drop what were doing and change things up!!
      "When a vacuum was a badge of honor." - Pecan

Comment

What, you want a 20 page thread full of everyone proving your idiocy this time?
        Originally posted by Nik133

This is bodyBUILDING, not getting a bag of shit into condition building.

Comment

Also, I like the addition of the lightbulb in the thread title, cute.

Comment

Originally posted by HangingLegRaise View Post
            What, you want a 20 page thread full of everyone proving your idiocy this time?
            So, you disagree with the content of my post? Which parts in particular did you take issue with? I think I pretty much spelled this one out for you lol

Comment

4.) Level of intensity

SECONDLY, I want you to add 1 set per exercise every two weeks. So right now if you're doing 4 sets of 4 exercises, next week you can do 5 sets of 4 exercises, do that again the following week, and then continue adding sets gradually, per exercise. In addition, you can vary intensity, by adding dropsets or supersets in the the regimen, but we will talk more about that in another article. There is also the topic of TRAINING FREQUENCY, which ties in to INTENSITY. I believe that training once per day is ok, but twice is good and three times is OPTIMAL. Sometimes you can train several days in a row, sometimes you can train every other day. But again, this is another topic, and needs to be elaborated on to avoid confusion.

I can GUARANTEE you that you will have significant gains in muscle mass and even strength, by increasing the number of REPS and SETS that you perform, instead of increasing the amount of weight. You'll also be much DENSER, something that many bodybuilders LACK as a result of this critical error of focusing on the wrong things.
              The bolded bit is especially retarded. Your muscles don't know numbers, they know tension and stress.

Comment

The bolded bit is especially retarded. Your muscles don't know numbers, they know tension and stress.
                TENSION AND STRESS and QUANTIFIED and QUALIFIED with THOSE NUMBERS..

Comment

So far this is the one thing that I do share the same opinion on. I wish I would have realized the importance of squeezing and mind muscle connection when I first started. My shoulders and knees would definetaly feel better. Dont get me wrong I do have those days when I just want to go heavy and tear shit up but for the most part I focus on mind muscle connection and it has really helped me over the last few years.
                  Last edited by weightrmBB; August 7, 2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

TENSION AND STRESS and QUANTIFIED and QUALIFIED with THOSE NUMBERS..
                    Why was the first "and" capitalized but not the rest? Is there at least rhyme to your lack of reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Light View Post
                      Well if you say so, youre the expert so I think we would all be stupid not to drop what were doing and change things up!!

Thank you for posting this^ you made my morning

Comment

The importance of the number of reps and sets you do is null compared to time under tension Rossy poos.

Comment

Also, you missed one "hypertrophic pathway" called training frequency. Meow.

Comment

Why was the first "and" capitalized but not the rest? Is there at least rhyme to your lack of reason?
                            I meant to say: "TENSION AND STRESS are QUANTIFIED and QUALIFIED with THOSE NUMBERS..

How do you MEASURE TENSION AND STRESS? WEIGHT; REPS; SETS

X amount of STRESS(weight) for Y amount of reps(tension(time))

Comment

Also, you missed one "hypertrophic pathway" called training frequency. Meow.
                              You OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T READ THE ARTICLE HAHHAHA! Don't be a fool, go back and read where I talk about FREQUENCY(it is capitalized) and it's relationship to INTENSITY,,silly guy..

Comment

Working...
                              X