Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Who Squats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juggertha View Post
    Honestly, I would have chosen both options if the poll allowed it. As I stated earlier in the thread, my squat numbers climbed in my 20s, but my legs did not. Now, after 10 years off and an injury, I've basically taken squats out of the mix, and have seen my legs improve. They're still not big by any means, but they're better than they were.

So for me, I do not find squats very effective for my goals.
    Fair enough, I do a lot of different typesof pressing movements. Some people cut tgem out just because and use Yates as a reason...it is bullshit.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Comment

Originally posted by bolsen View Post
      Fair enough, I do a lot of different typesof pressing movements. Some people cut tgem out just because and use Yates as a reason...it is bullshit.
      I do agree that the yates thing is bullshit. If you watch the mark dugdale dungeon video with dorian he has him do squats. A lot of my training is modeled off Dorian style and some DC and I squat ~75% of my leg work outs, and the other times I smith squat. However I do think that a small percentage of people simply cant squat effectively for bodybuilding purposes, but most that use that excuse are just lazy as you said.

Comment

Or they use their ego and try to go to heavy, and not low enough/and or focus on the stimulation of the muscle. Lifting heavy weight you are going to contract a lot of muscles, but repetitiveness is what is going to build that physique and even strength up on many programs.
        B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Comment

Originally posted by bolsen View Post
          All the people who talked about how ineffective squats are seem to have vanished.
          I was hoping to see some comparrisons from the non-squaters.
          pics are old but still
          Attached Files
          Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from the manufacturer instead of a marketing company I get my supplements at www.truenutrition.com

Comment

Front squats ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by UriahMcGee View Post
              pics are old but still
              Awesome shape. Just stating that properly executed squats can build up some of the best backs and glutes. Sounds kind of dumb to an exercise such as squats for these two areas, but it is true. Which would not be a bad move for someone like Dennis Wolf with a lackluster glutes, and lower back ( not lats, but lower back). I can show you some not so genetically and genetically gifted powerlifters/bodybuilders who have extrememly thick backs from utilizing squats properly and glutes over most bodybuilders, but yet everything else on them sucks as far as development. Not from necessarily going "heavy" or maxing, but the way they utilize these exercises slightly different than most bodybuilders approach is.
              B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Comment

Originally posted by frankdaddy View Post
                Awesome shape. Just stating that properly executed squats can build up some of the best backs and glutes. Sounds kind of dumb to an exercise such as squats for these two areas, but it is true. Which would not be a bad move for someone like Dennis Wolf with a lackluster glutes, and lower back ( not lats, but lower back). I can show you some not so genetically and genetically gifted powerlifters/bodybuilders who have extrememly thick backs from utilizing squats properly and glutes over most bodybuilders, but yet everything else on them sucks as far as development. Not from necessarily going "heavy" or maxing, but the way they utilize these exercises slightly different than most bodybuilders approach is.
                my form on squats is terrible due to being inflexible...I can't even reach back to grab the bar for more than 2 seconds because my rear delts cramp...my hips are very stiff too...so I stick to hack squats lol
                Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from the manufacturer instead of a marketing company I get my supplements at www.truenutrition.com

Comment

my form on squats is terrible due to being inflexible...I can't even reach back to grab the bar for more than 2 seconds because my rear delts cramp...my hips are very stiff too...so I stick to hack squats lol
                  maybe it is just my gym, but the guys who spend the most time doing squats are the guys with the least impressive legs...all they do is heavy squats in the 2-6 rep range for like 2 hours, taking what seems 15 minutes breaks in between sets, and then they pose and flex in the mirror falling in love with themselves...every monday
                  I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
                  JESUS THE CHRIST

Comment

You could use a cambered barbell...

or a Safety Squat Bar

If your gym has them of course. If they don't go to a new gym...or just see if the management will purchase one or the other.

Training Log

Comment

• Originally posted by UriahMcGee View Post
                      Dang dude, you need to stretch before you tear something. LOL.

Originally posted by RockyIII View Post
                      maybe it is just my gym, but the guys who spend the most time doing squats are the guys with the least impressive legs...all they do is heavy squats in the 2-6 rep range for like 2 hours, taking what seems 15 minutes breaks in between sets, and then they pose and flex in the mirror falling in love with themselves...every monday
                      I bet if they dieted down some of those dudes would have the best musculature in their glutes and backs compared to most guys even though they never directly work either.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockyIII View Post
                        Nobody said to just do squats, but heavy squats will build a very impressive base for your entire structure. I just can't see why a person who is wanting to look "powerful" wouldn't do them. Hack squats are not even close to being the same...nothing is. Not even front squats.

Training Log

Comment

• Originally posted by bolsen View Post
                          Safety Squat Bar

If your gym has them of course. If they don't go to a new gym...or just see if the management will purchase one or the other.

Safety bar is awesome, but soo much harder than regular squats. Kinda like front squats without the front felt pain also.

Comment

• For the guys who are not squatting because of poor flexability or hip issues I suggest you learn who Kelly Starrett is. Seriously, in the strength and fitness world he is revered for this shit...

Training Log

Comment

• Originally posted by frankdaddy View Post
                              Safety bar is awesome, but soo much harder than regular squats. Kinda like front squats without the front felt pain also.
                              We use the SSB often to train ourselves to stay upright as the bar puuls your neck down and causes your upper back to round. In essence building your upper back to handle more weight.

Training Log

Comment

• Flexibility issues are a big deal with lower body much more than anything else IMO. Their are only a handful of good leg exercises and all of them are pretty dangerous pushing it, squats, deadlifts, lunges, sldl, etc while their are a ton for upper body. It usually takes flexible body to squat low or lunge with a good depth or stay upright during all squatting movements. A lot of people have back problems from weak stomach, bad knees from weak hip flexors/glutes, etc.. Not necessarily weak, but tight areas.

Comment

Working...
                                X