Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

THE HARDCORE GYM REGISTRY

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland, De., Pa.

In MD. Brick-House Fitness (410-642-0020), Perryville, MD. Open 6 a.m. 'til Midnight, Lots of free-weight (real shit w/ bars rated in excess of current world records), custom made platform, mono-lift, witnessing 800 pound benches and 1,000 pound squats is fairly common here, chalk is allowed/provided, big sound system w/ lots of angry white music.

In Nazareth PA., Nazareth Barbell (NAZBAR) - more big, big lifts regularly, lots of real shit

In DE., The Training Center in Churchmans' Way Shopping Center - A bit "nicer" in appearance and a shade toned down than the first two mentioned but still plenty hardcore with its share of big animals and big lifts (also host to a couple powerlifting meets each year).

Comment

• 1)Powerhouse Gym....St.Louis, Mo. (best gym in St. Louis!!!)
      www.powerhousegymstl.com
      314-968-3113
      owened by IFBB fitness pro Angie Semsch and managed by our very own 2hot4u

2)American Family Fitness.
      3670 State Rt. 111
      Granite City, Il. 62040
      618-931-5590
      (this gym is PACKED with equipment and has been in business for over 35 years)
      this is where I got my start in working out!!!!!! Currently home to Npc bodybuilder Brett Becker and Npc Masters
      competitor Ralph Wright
      Last edited by thundergod; May 31, 2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• The Weight Room
        NW 39th and Tulsa Ave
        OKC OK

50,000 Sq Ft....DBs up to 150 pds....5 or 6 squat/power racks....Lots of Hammer Strength (they the original Hammer leg press that will kick your butt) Some big MoFo work-out there.

Comment

• I've just been going over this thread again.... This thing is awesome!
          Keep them coming!

HARDCORE MUST NEVER DIE!

Comment

• Club Marco
            686 Bald Eagle Dr
            Marco Island, FL 34145
            (239) 394-8104

Your typical ironpit gym nestled in the heart of retirement country.....lol
            THE OFFICIAL DC TRAINING!! AVAILABLE NOW! http://www.jasonwojo.com/dvd.html

Comment

• Originally posted by bulldog21 View Post
              Club Marco
              686 Bald Eagle Dr
              Marco Island, FL 34145
              (239) 394-8104

Your typical ironpit gym nestled in the heart of retirement country.....lol
              surprised you didnt post a link to the gym you train at.....NEW LADY FITNESS.....LOL

Comment

• Hey Romano!!! Read the article in the july issue of MD about Golds. These place are sprouting up all over. They recently opened one up less than 4 minutes from my house and the place is huge. I went in just to see what the equipment was like and after talking to the manager, he said they DO NOT allow any deadlifts in this new club. (in other words, NO POWER LIFTING) After talking with this clown and reading your article, the "real" GOLDS GYM is dead!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by thundergod View Post
                  surprised you didnt post a link to the gym you train at.....NEW LADY FITNESS.....LOL
                  LOL.....Dude its too harcore for this thread....

I hear you about the golds too....they have A couple in Indy now.....its pretty sad....
                  THE OFFICIAL DC TRAINING!! AVAILABLE NOW! http://www.jasonwojo.com/dvd.html

Comment

• SAD does not even begin to describe it. They have a "mind and body" room, a cardio Cinema, Pilates room and a bunch of machines with weight stacks that only go to about 100lbs. Not the kind of place that should carry the name Golds Gym.

Comment

• Tanique
                      On Britton, East of May Avenue, Oklahoma City.

The name doesn't really do it justice. The bells go up to 150 or 160. 100# plates, several squat racks, plenty of equipment, and they've got chalk waiting on you. Lots of old equipment that works like it should. Lots of powerlifters and some NPC competitors work out there. I used to work out there with three or four other guys every weekday at 6:00 and every other Saturday or so for another round of legs.

Now I have to sneak chalk into the gym I go to. There's only one squat rack, and you usually have to wait on it while someone finishes up behind the back wrist curls (no shit, happened to me last leg day). If anyone knows of a good one around Jonesboro, AR, let me know.

Comment

• Stroud's Fitness http://www.stroudsfitness.net/
                        Euless, Texas

Has been in MD in most of Johnnie Jackson's articles

bodybuilder
                        powerlifter
                        and family friendly

5 lb- 150lb dumbbells; 200lb dumbbells

Comment

• Originally posted by egoatdoor View Post
                          VERY interesting in light of John Romano's column in MD this month about Golds new corporate owners, who are trying to move the chain towards soccer moms and senior citizens and AWAY from the more hardcore lifter.

I hope the owners of that gym have the balls to stick to their guns.

Both you guys and the other members may want to make it known to the owners there that you want the gym to stay HARDCORE.
                          Yeah, i just read that story. I got nervous and talked to the owners. They said they are not a franchise. They purchased the name and are an individual, stand alone gym. I wasn't aware you could do that, but they said they dont have to follow the corporate guidelines. Does that make sense? I know nothing about owning a gym as you can see.

Comment

• Originally posted by vetteboy2002 View Post
                            Yeah, i just read that story. I got nervous and talked to the owners. They said they are not a franchise. They purchased the name and are an individual, stand alone gym. I wasn't aware you could do that, but they said they dont have to follow the corporate guidelines. Does that make sense? I know nothing about owning a gym as you can see.
                            It doesn't make sense. Either they are breaking the law or they didn't answer truthfully. Golds Gym owns the naming rights and the patent on the name. No one can use it without their permission and I highly doubt they give these guys permission or knowingly allow it to happen. Think about it...if someone could open a "McDonalds" and not pay royalties etc. for the name, why would all the other McDonald's franchisees do so?

All legal Golds are either franchises that pay Golds for the rights to use the name or are corporately owned and operated by Golds. I do know the company is moving away from company operated clubs and want to go to an all franchised owned chain.

Comment

• UKGUY,
                              I'm coming through the 'Peg this summer. Any recommendations on places to train. I remember back in the late 80's that the Y was fairly hardcore. Any recomendations would be appreciated. I'm travelling across Canada for 7 weeks this summer and oping to avoid "fitness" gyms so that I can still get 3-4 decent workouts in per week.

Thanks,

Mo_Sco

Comment

• Awesome,I'll be there this July! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X