Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

THE HARDCORE GYM REGISTRY

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hercules Gym, Lurgan Street Dublin 1, Ireland.

The Hercules Gym, Lurgan Street Dublin 1, Ireland.

25 euro joining fee, 85 euros for 3 months

Website?? Ha ha, you must be joking!

The Hercules Gym is Dublin's oldest gym dating back to 1934. One or two of the members from that time are still around and on the membership committee. It's run like a real cooperative club whereby all the members are 'owners' and pay a monthly subscription (subs).

I got some of these pics from Gym Stories and some more from a thread put up by Stark at the Get Big forum. These are recent shots so the place has gone all posh from the time I trained there back in 1982, when it used to be located down near Smithfield Market.

I have vivid memories of the incredible hardcore atmosphere and the real Dub characters who used to lift there. There were a couple of mornings when I was the first one down there and I had to pick up the keys from the 'caretaker' who lived in one of the council flats near by. The first time I did it, he warned me to bang on the door real loud before I opened it. When I asked him why, he told me it was to scare off the rats! He wasn't kidding - one morning I forgot to do just that and opened the door to be greeted by the sight of some of the biggest, ugliest rats I've ever seen (until I came to Singapore that is). It's possible that they were more scared of me than I was of them - but unlikely!

Another 'fond memory' was the shower which was the darkest, blackest, slimiest, most disgusting thing this side of Calcutta. Amazingly, there was never a case of athlete's foot ever caught there: probably because no fungus could ever survive that environment...

Hercules was a fantastic place to train and produced some of Ireland's best Olympic weight lifters, powerlifters and bodybuilders... and some of the toughest, hardest bouncers in Dublin. At Hercs, EVERYBODY lifted HEAVY, even the little guys. If any of you guys are ever in Dublin, it's well worth checking this place out.
    Attached Files
    www.conor.sg

Comment

• anyone know of any hardcore gyms in kentucky?

In Louisville, there's only one true hardcore gym: The Fitness Factory, located at Hikes Point. Tons 'o free weights, 5 squat racks, a power cage, dumbbells up to 180 lbs. Sweating, grunting, chalk, and deadlifts are permitted! Training here are the majority of local bodybuilders, some powerlifters and strongman competitors, WWE hopefuls, etc.

Better Body's (that's how they spell it ) on Westport Road is also fairly hardcore. Former IFBB pro Porter Cottrell trains a lot of his clients there.

There are other hardcore gyms in Lexington, northern KY and elsewhere in the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        I don't know how I could have forgotten

The Pit Barbell Club
        400 EDGAR St
        Evansville, IN 47710 (812) 422-0617

That's about 20 minutes from my house bro...I didn't know anyone knew where Evansville was. WE'RE ON THE MAP!!!

Comment

• Anyone know of any hardcore gyms in Cincinnati? It's a possibility I may be moving there within the next month or 2, and other than a place to live, the gym is the most important thing I need...a REAL gym.

Comment

• Flex Gym & Fitness Center
            1309 Starfire Drive
            Ottawa,IL 61350
            815-434-3539

As I got ready for the show, this is where I was .Its own by a hubby/wife team, and get this, the hubby Jeff Johnson is a NPC Judge and so is the wife. Really nice digs. So if you are ever in the middle of nowhere, this is that place to go..
            "They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America: They will be met."

Comment

• Originally posted by richwa View Post
              Anyone know of any hardcore gyms in Cincinnati? It's a possibility I may be moving there within the next month or 2, and other than a place to live, the gym is the most important thing I need...a REAL gym.
              PM one of the gyms from westside Gym in Columbus, they might have a clue..
              "They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America: They will be met."

Comment

• Originally posted by billy mimnaugh View Post
                Anyone know of any hardcore gyms in Indiana.We are re-locating to the Zionsville area.

Gold's Gym 8401 Michigan Rd, Indianapolis, IN

Comment

• don't know if anyone has posted it--

BODY TECH GYM
                  Moore, OK
                  thelaststronghold.com
                  OWNER- Howard Huddleston

i think he trained Bret Miller some. national level competitor Tommy Brown trains there.

my wife started training there for a figure show next summer. (her first)
                  its a 2 hr drive from here and she does it 4 days a week. i've only been once. would go everytime, but i work in the oilfield and don't have much time off.

only one more hardcore that i've been to is the one and only "METROFLEX". its about 3 hrs from here and if i had the time i would drive and train there. feel like i grow just walking into the place!!!

oh, and BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bearded bb View Post
                    don't know if anyone has posted it--

BODY TECH GYM
                    Moore, OK
                    thelaststronghold.com
                    OWNER- Howard Huddleston

i think he trained Bret Miller some. national level competitor Tommy Brown trains there.

my wife started training there for a figure show next summer. (her first)
                    its a 2 hr drive from here and she does it 4 days a week. i've only been once. would go everytime, but i work in the oilfield and don't have much time off.

only one more hardcore that i've been to is the one and only "METROFLEX". its about 3 hrs from here and if i had the time i would drive and train there. feel like i grow just walking into the place!!!

oh, and BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!
                    sorry, i think its brIt miller.

Comment

• Gotta throw it up to Lances Gym on Iron street here in Chicago. Just bare bones ass basic!!!
                      twitter: @badbadleroyb,

Comment

• Its not hard core, but my boss just built this and is starting his own chain of affordable luxury clubs. its so clean.

http://www.luxefitnessclubs.com/

Comment

• though the gym in my neighborhood (boca pointe) caters to decrepit old people, its actually awesome just because of the guy who's in charge. its deserted at all times but has quality equipment and really heavy dumbbells. i think the guy won the west palm beach championships a few years ago, maybe hes on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by mts View Post
                            i knew there have to be at least one small PA town in this thread.
                            How about the IronHouse in PA. It's in Hazleton and is pretty hardcore. Dumbells up to 160 I think. No machines. Mostly freeweights and there's one cable machine

Comment

• Originally posted by bad bad leroy brown View Post
                              Gotta throw it up to Lances Gym on Iron street here in Chicago. Just bare bones ass basic!!!
                              Good call man, a bud of took me there when I was visiting...bare bones is an understatement.

Comment

• Big Iron Gym in Omaha, Nebraska. I dont know if anyone is around that area but I love that gym.

Comment

Working...
                                X