Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

THE HARDCORE GYM REGISTRY

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Weightroom in Santa Cruz, California. It's laid out like the old Gold's Gym. It's got posters of Dave Draper's magazine covers and photos of him everywhere, and if you show up at the right time he'll be getting a workout in there.

120 Dubois Street Santa Cruz, CA 95060
    (831) 423-5617 - Fax (831) 423-4235
    In the Harvey West Park area, behind Costco and UPS
    I min/max my physique

Comment

My gym replaced its old hack with Hammerstrength's bullshit version, and Christmas here brought 'em a new I don't know what: rack with weightstack, handles, and ELECTRONIC something ... triggers duct-taped everywhere. What is this?

Plus, the bikes have become "spinners" in what is now a "cardio theater"; lotta talk, too, about "achieving fitness" and "core" lately. And I'm always tripping over some trainer's giant balls.

I'm therefore NOT adding my once hardcore gym to the registry.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeter View Post
        And I'm always tripping over some trainer's giant balls..
        Nah,id love to,but ill just leave that post be.lol
        Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

Originally posted by dlew6969 View Post
          Nah,id love to,but ill just leave that post be.lol
          Have at it! I put that fucker on a tee.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeter View Post
            Have at it! I put that fucker on a tee.
            lol
            Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

Best in the area

The YMCA I workout in is not exactally hardcore but you can get a hardcore workout there without any hassels if you want.
              Everyone is frendly and helpful but not judgemental. sometimes my workout clothes get a bit extreme like the short shorts I wear on leg day and the speedo [a 2-incher] I do laps in.

Comment

Originally posted by minataur View Post
                The YMCA I workout in is not exactally hardcore but you can get a hardcore workout there without any hassels if you want.
                Everyone is frendly and helpful but not judgemental. sometimes my workout clothes get a bit extreme like the short shorts I wear on leg day and the speedo [a 2-incher] I do laps in.

I train at a YMCA simply because it's really close to my place. 2 sets of DBs, one only goes up to 80, the other up to 100. Only 2 squat racks. Smith. A very broad selection of machines (compared to many gyms I've been in). Lots of benches. Surprisingly, the demographic includes a lot of serious lifters, male and female.

Question: any hardcore gyms in MONTREAL?
                Psychobilly legend.

Comment

gyms

The only hardcore gym left in Vancouver that I know of is called Fitness Quest [their slogan(written in huge letters across the whole south wall): Survival of the Fittest!]. You can squat till you puke in the summer with very little weight, as there is no air conditioning. It's in the south-east part of the city, so the clientele is mostly indo-canadian thugs nowadays. The only chicks you see there are using the tanning beds. There is a team of powerlifters who train there, which is cool for obvious reasons, but which sucks because there's only two power racks. These guys used to work out at another Fitness Quest closer to downtown, which has since gone out of business. With a big 'ole weight floor, tons of freeweights, four power racks, a boxing ring upstairs, and friendly, BIG staff, this place had the best bodybuilding atmosphere I've experienced. This gym could have stayed afloat indefinately, but a couple of years ago the lease run out, and the owner sold the property out from under them. It's now a Canadian Tire and Best Buy.
                  Enjoying the awesomeness of the pumptitude as an end in itself

Comment

Originally posted by gymdog View Post
                    The only hardcore gym left in Vancouver that I know of is called Fitness Quest [their slogan(written in huge letters across the whole south wall): Survival of the Fittest!]. You can squat till you puke in the summer with very little weight, as there is no air conditioning. It's in the south-east part of the city, so the clientele is mostly indo-canadian thugs nowadays. The only chicks you see there are using the tanning beds. There is a team of powerlifters who train there, which is cool for obvious reasons, but which sucks because there's only two power racks. These guys used to work out at another Fitness Quest closer to downtown, which has since gone out of business. With a big 'ole weight floor, tons of freeweights, four power racks, a boxing ring upstairs, and friendly, BIG staff, this place had the best bodybuilding atmosphere I've experienced. This gym could have stayed afloat indefinately, but a couple of years ago the lease run out, and the owner sold the property out from under them. It's now a Canadian Tire and Best Buy.
                    Bro,
                    there used to be soo many hardcore gyms in vancouver. Western gym, Gators (far out of Van though). Golds on the NorthShore still has a fantastic gym, and takes good care of the members. Best gym was Olympus Gym off lonsdale, closed many years ago with all the new high rises going up. Some world class powerlifters, and national level Canadian BB's. Oh man, I'm tearing up!!!!! Now most of the gyms are

Comment

I've been meaning to register Hard Nocks Gym for some time now. I was too lazy to go back through the thread, so I hope that this one hasn't already been listed.

Hard Nock's Gym
                      11 High Street
                      Amesbury, MA 01913
                      (978)388-6929
                      Owner is Dave Nock.

WWE's John Cena trained there for a long time (or is it Matt...they are brothers and they both train/trained there).

It's a pretty sweet little spot, with the emphasis on little LOL.
                      It's 24 hours for members, who are given a key to come and go as they please. For anyone who wants to show up and train, drop $6 in the envelope at the door on your way in.

I've never seen so much damn equipment crammed into a place like this before in my life. You wouldn't believe it, but there's a little of everything there, including some old school stuff.

Dave Nock is a great guy. He loves to train hard and old school style - I train with him for contest prep, and he likes to take things outside and get a little dirty! Dave is the older gentleman in the background of the pic below. Believe it or not, these pics capture just about the entire gym!

Be sure to tell Dave Nock HI from LORI if you go!

IFBB Pro Bodybuilder
                      2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting MW Champion

Comment

Yeah, Cena talked about that gym in a WWE promo once. Next time I'm in Mass I will definitely stop there.

Iron House Gym in Hazleton, PA.

The Iron House is very small, but it's a pretty hardcore place. Dumbells to 150, thickbars, a loadable log, lots of plates, good racks, and a good overall setup. Only two or three machines and a Smith, but it's a nice place. Lots of bodybuilding/strongman/powerlifting trophies are displayed around the gym.

Ultimate Fitness in Hazleton, PA.

Ultimate Fitness has a long history in the Hazleton area. It just moved to a new location that is 50% smaller than the original, but the owner managed to keep all of the lifting equipment and machines. Another simple basic gym for the simple basic workouts that build huge bodies.

Comment

PLANET FITNESS!!!!!!!!! shhhhh no grunting!!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Grim View Post
                            I used to train at this place west of St. Louis in a little town/city called Union. The gym was xtreme fitness, lots of big dudes, the owner was Bill White, he was prolly about 60 years old when I was there and could just throw the weight around.I miss working out there.
                            how far west? i'm east of stl...

Comment

Originally posted by tflexxin View Post
                              Bro,
                              there used to be soo many hardcore gyms in vancouver. Western gym, Gators (far out of Van though). Golds on the NorthShore still has a fantastic gym, and takes good care of the members. Best gym was Olympus Gym off lonsdale, closed many years ago with all the new high rises going up. Some world class powerlifters, and national level Canadian BB's. Oh man, I'm tearing up!!!!! Now most of the gyms are
                              Yeah, tell me about it. The gym I'm at now, Kitsilano Workout, was voted best independent gym in the city, and it probably is, but it's still not that good. There is ONE power rack, and tons of cardio and pussy machines. None of the staff ever tighten any of the barbells or dumbells, and the music is absolute crap. Chalk is not allowed. At least they don't have a "no tank-top" rule. There are probably a dozen or so hardcores who work out there, and each chick you see is hotter than the last, so it's not all bad.
                              Enjoying the awesomeness of the pumptitude as an end in itself

Comment

This has been awesome everyone! One of our gracious dedicated members has painstakingly complied all these entries and arranged them by state, province and country, in alphabetical order. I'm setting it up in Romano Factor right now and it will be published in the April issue of MD. I'm hoping to update the printing quarterly, so please keep your submissions coming. Eventually, we'll build a search engine and dedicate this to its own page.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                                X