Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Critique My Chest Day? Lacking Chest Very Slowly Progressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique My Chest Day? Lacking Chest Very Slowly Progressing

Hey guys. Just wondering if someone could comment on my chest day. My chest has always been a weak point on my body. My bench is extremely low (in my eyes) compared to the rest of my body parts. I have improved quite a bit since I got back into lifting/training about 6 months ago but I still got a long ways to go. It seems I have hit a platau. Your probably gonna laugh but here is my bench numbers along with a few other exercises for comparison in weight..followed by my routine.

Body Weight: 200lbs
    Max Bench: 180lbs x 4 reps
    Barbell Curls: 90lbs x 8 reps
    Deadlift: 255 x 4 reps
    Squat: 210 x 4 reps
    Do these numbers look okay in proportion?

Here is my chest routine. Please note I work out at home so I dont have all that fancy equipment. I have a bench with flat/incline/decline settings, and all my workouts are done with free weights.

Bench Press: 8,6,4,4
    Incline DB Press: 4x6
    DB Flyes: 4x10

Superset--
    Close Grip Bench Press 4x10
    Push Ups 4x10

What do you guys think? I am having trouble pushing past my 180lb platau. Got any killer chest routines that could be applied to my situation?..or just comments?
    Thanks All in Advance

Originally posted by beattie View Post
    Hey guys. Just wondering if someone could comment on my chest day. My chest has always been a weak point on my body. My bench is extremely low (in my eyes) compared to the rest of my body parts. I have improved quite a bit since I got back into lifting/training about 6 months ago but I still got a long ways to go. It seems I have hit a platau. Your probably gonna laugh but here is my bench numbers along with a few other exercises for comparison in weight..followed by my routine.

Body Weight: 200lbs
    Max Bench: 180lbs x 4 reps
    Barbell Curls: 90lbs x 8 reps
    Deadlift: 255 x 4 reps
    Squat: 210 x 4 reps
    Do these numbers look okay in proportion?

Here is my chest routine. Please note I work out at home so I dont have all that fancy equipment. I have a bench with flat/incline/decline settings, and all my workouts are done with free weights.

Bench Press: 8,6,4,4
    Incline DB Press: 4x6
    DB Flyes: 4x10

Superset--
    Close Grip Bench Press 4x10
    Push Ups 4x10

What do you guys think? I am having trouble pushing past my 180lb platau. Got any killer chest routines that could be applied to my situation?..or just comments?
    Thanks All in Advance

Yes I have learned something from watching this huge dude in my gym who has a great chest. I am assuming that the weight I saw him use was maybe half or a little more than what his actual strength is. Example: I've seen him use 100lb dumbbells but with the technique I'm going to tell you he uses like 50 or 60 lbs.
    Use a flat bench and lower the dumbbells to your chest and as you raise the dumbbells you raise them as you turn your wrist so that your pinkys are almost facing each other and then you lower the dumbbells and return to the normal position as your coming down. Concentrate on contracting your pecs when you do this. I use it every second week in my chest routine now and I use weights that are half of what my max is with dumbbell presses. I hope this helps.
    MOVE ON!!!! - BlueDevil

Comment

First off lose the close grip bench on your chest day. It tends to isolate the triceps more than the chest. Try a decline style bench instead. Also try widening your grip slightly. Iím talking only a finger width or two. This worked for me to hit my chest better.
      Try some deep dips, which will hit the chest. You can do this with two chairs facing back to back. Place some dumbbells on the chairs for stability.
      If you do some different angle fly movements such as incline or decline, that might help as well.
      Over all it takes time, you have only been lifting for six months. Just stick to and you will see results.

Good luck

Comment

Firstly, your bench is in line with your other numbers. Hell, you bench almost as much as you squat.

Secondly, are you training for size, or strength. If strength, stick to focusing on flat bench. If size, focus on incline.

Thirdly, how ofter are you training your chest?

===================================

Here is a solid chest routine for size:

Incline Dumbbell bench, 4 sets. Warm up thoroughly, then do your heaviest set first, shoot for 6-7 reps at failure. Then each set, drop back 5 lbs per DB, and go to failure.

Barbell Flat Bench. Do three sets, same as above.

Wide Grip Dip. Do three sets, add weight if necessary. Stay in the 8-12 range.

***I would alternate the dips with a pec dec, DB fly, or cable crossover.

Comment

I agree with Twin Peak it all depends on your goal which you didn't state clearly. Strength or size. Training would change accordingly. You mentioned your CHEST is progressing, but slowly and then said you couldn't get by the 180lbs. plateau. If your chest is moving along, but slowly, I'd say everything is going OK it's just not "as quick" to respond as other muscle groups. If this is the case who cares about 180lbs? If you do care about 180 plateau that tells me you are more concerned with strength (right now). In that case I would say stick with the flat bench working with multiple sets of 3-5 reps and avoid failure. Also don't forget to kill the tris as they are responsible for a lot of weight on the bench. Make sure your form is correct for benching big also. Shoulder blades pinned, good arch, feet planted, elbows tucked, bar to lower chest and straight up, not back towards the pins.

All about your goals bro.
          Good luck!

Comment

Chest was a weak point for me until I learned to set up properly.

I never bench anymore.

And if your goal is size, you may want to forget about those sets of four.

I rarely go lower than eight.

One thing I like to do at the end, for a great pump, is to superset low cable crossovers with wide grip dips.

works for me cause the two pieces are close to each other.

But the key is setting up properly, even on the dips.
            CANCER SUCKS!

Comment

Looks fine to me.
              http://www.youtube.com/user/ptarleton?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by tjoe View Post
                I agree with Twin Peak it all depends on your goal which you didn't state clearly. Strength or size. Training would change accordingly. You mentioned your CHEST is progressing, but slowly and then said you couldn't get by the 180lbs. plateau. If your chest is moving along, but slowly, I'd say everything is going OK it's just not "as quick" to respond as other muscle groups. If this is the case who cares about 180lbs? If you do care about 180 plateau that tells me you are more concerned with strength (right now). In that case I would say stick with the flat bench working with multiple sets of 3-5 reps and avoid failure. Also don't forget to kill the tris as they are responsible for a lot of weight on the bench. Make sure your form is correct for benching big also. Shoulder blades pinned, good arch, feet planted, elbows tucked, bar to lower chest and straight up, not back towards the pins.

All about your goals bro.
                Good luck!
                Joe hit it with this post if your going for strength. If your going for size then increase the reps to something like 8-12. But to give you a better answer we need more info. Like seeing your whole split.
                Not Everything. Not Yet.

Comment

Working...
                X