Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Joint Injury Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Injury Rehab

I could use some advice...

I have been battling an ACL tear in my knee that I suffered in high school. I was a soccer player for years and have basically given it up (but I switched to coaching.) I have becoming more involved in Bodybuilding, and at this this stage my upper-body still needs to come up to par with my lower (have a bit of quality mass from years of soccer training.)

I will be scheduling surgery to repair my ACL over the next year (gotta finally fix this shit.) I know research says that recovery time and quality is improved, depending on the amount of muscle and strength surrounding the joint pre-sugery. I am currently receiving physio - but any specific excercise suggestions would help. Supplement advice would be great - I want to build as much muscle (doesnt everybody?) around my knee as quickly as possible. But since my cardio is very limited right now - I also don't want be a fat slob for the surgery.

Advice? Hook a brotha up!

First is your ACL tear a partial tear or a complete tear?

Comment

some of the recommended supplements for joints is glucosamine, chondroitin, cetyl myristoliate, msm, dmso (topical), SAm- e, copper, Vit.C, manganese, etc. Also in Novemebr's issue of muscular development, in **** *******'s section, he talks about a compound that is good for joints

Comment

Originally posted by staticx
        First is your ACL tear a partial tear or a complete tear?
        It is a partial tear, but significant.

Comment

some of the recommended supplements for joints is glucosamine, chondroitin, cetyl myristoliate, msm, dmso (topical), SAm- e, copper, Vit.C, manganese, etc. Also in Novemebr's issue of muscular development, in **** *******'s section, he talks about a compound that is good for joints
          I currently take glucosamine and chondroitin 3 times a day. I also take a larger dose of MSM twice a day. I use the DMSO on my knee quite often to help with the swelling. I will look into the cetyl myristoliate and SAM-e, although what I've read sounds a bit fantasmagorical (too good too be true.) Thanks.

Comment

The SAM-e and Cetyl Myristoliate has some research backing them up but they are probably not as effective as the other ones i mentioned. even if it helps only a little I would definitely take it to try and help it as much as possible since they are safe. The
            As far as exercises goes however, I don't want to give any suggestions in case it hurts you because I don't know the details of your injury. If you can give some more details on what kind of leg movements hurt your knee and how much instability you have in different joint positions I may be able to give some suggestions.

Comment

As far as exercises goes however, I don't want to give any suggestions in case it hurts you because I don't know the details of your injury. If you can give some more details on what kind of leg movements hurt your knee and how much instability you have in different joint positions I may be able to give some suggestions.
              I "was" doing lighter squats and hack squats without too much trouble. Avoided leg extensions except with light weight and high reps. Cardio was alot of bike and some elliptical. The impact of running or a treadmill was murder. I've taken steps backward now and have just worked up to light cycling.

I want to build mass around the knee. I'm taking whey after work outs, and additional glutamine at night. I'm wary to do take much else because my cardio is almost zero and I don't want to gain tooo much fat. Any suggestions on mass supplements that I should add?

Comment

Working...
              X