Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone.
Just as a friendly reminder between December 7th thru December 8th, the forum will be undergoing an upgrade and service may be disrupted for a period of time. This maintenance will be done at a time that will impact traffic the least, but offer huge benefits. Especially with the Olympia right around the corner.
Enjoy and thanks in advance for your understanding.
Best
Jen

PS Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jrod
    replied
    Originally posted by MHurricane View Post
    This fall I will be enrolling into my first year of college. Is it hard balancing college life and fitness? Also, earlier in the thread you said you only logged your measurements up until 18 (I believe). Are you able to recall those measurements?

Thanks in advance.
    Balancing college life and fitness: Looking back to these time, I would say it was easier then than it ever has been. Of course you have to put some effort towards balancing out, but it was, to me at least, a much easier time than balancing things now (post college/work life). Back then, I had a lot more time and a much easier schedule to deal with. The only benefit now is that I have more money than I had back then; but, dealing with less time is harder to deal with than dealing with less money. Enjoy it.

I do not remember my measurements from when I was 18, but I can assure you they were probably pretty average. I'm sure if I wrote them out they wouldn't be very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• MHurricane
    replied
    This fall I will be enrolling into my first year of college. Is it hard balancing college life and fitness? Also, earlier in the thread you said you only logged your measurements up until 18 (I believe). Are you able to recall those measurements?

Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• laddskate
    replied
    Aha I see! I'll give it a try, thankyou Jeff hope life is good man.

Leave a comment:

• jrod
    replied
    Originally posted by laddskate View Post
    Jeff! Hey man this is probably a question you don't get too often, but I'm finally fed up with my shaker bottle and wanted to know if you recommended a certain brand or bottle itself? Hate those leakin' lids feel me?
    I don't always use shake specific shakers. I usually use water bottles with a large opening; like a nalgene bottle (or a generic version), or rubbermaid bottles. I would just go to walmart, target, safeway,... and buy something with a large opening and thats cheap.

Leave a comment:

• laddskate
    replied
    Jeff! Hey man this is probably a question you don't get too often, but I'm finally fed up with my shaker bottle and wanted to know if you recommended a certain brand or bottle itself? Hate those leakin' lids feel me?

Leave a comment:

• jrod
    replied
    Originally posted by sugardaddy69 View Post
    Thanks for reply basically this is what I expected as an answer, there is no holy grail I know just hard consistent work.

I will have to look at hammer machines as well as I seem to have a busted shoulder that starts being irritated by the middle of my chest training.

Anyway thanks good luck BTW what rep ranges do u use for abs and how often do u hit them? Since I started martial arts I hit them almost every workout different rep ranges though, plus I just can't stand still and do abs between sets with chest and shoulders and arms, I give up and never try them with legs and back just to have extra stability doing squats and deads
    Abs: i train them once a week, 8-12 reps, and about 5 sets (just simple dumbbell crunches, reverse crunches, machine crunches, or reverse crunches).

Leave a comment:

• sugardaddy69
    replied
    Thanks for reply basically this is what I expected as an answer, there is no holy grail I know just hard consistent work.

I will have to look at hammer machines as well as I seem to have a busted shoulder that starts being irritated by the middle of my chest training.

Anyway thanks good luck BTW what rep ranges do u use for abs and how often do u hit them? Since I started martial arts I hit them almost every workout different rep ranges though, plus I just can't stand still and do abs between sets with chest and shoulders and arms, I give up and never try them with legs and back just to have extra stability doing squats and deads

Leave a comment:

• jrod
    replied
    My questions would be, of course assuming everyone is different but:

1. Chest your chest development for a nattie, and you are a young guy a begginer I would say, is amazing any secret strategies for pecs?

2. Lats very wide and thick are there any specific rep tempos ranges exercises you belive work best?

3. Waist line I assume it is genetic or posing but you have thick abdominal muscles care to elaborate what rep ranges work best and why?

4. Do you feel like carb sources matter I am religious about oats but in reality carbs are not as micro nutrient dense as veggies or specific kinds of meats and fish (eggs etc.) and different fats so what do you think are ideal sources of complex carbs or it just does not matter if you have a potato, oats or rice cakes?

Thanks and good luck competing
    1) I don't really have any secrets. Here is what I have done:
    When I first started training, I used to flat bench press a lot. Now I don't do it very much at all as I've irritated my shoulders from it and heard about a lot of people getting hurt from it. Now I do a lot of incline barbell and dumbbell presses, hammer strength presses, and dips

2) I like the 4-8 rep range. For lats I would say pull-downs and pull ups; and eat a lot of protein!

3) Waist is genetic, but getting leaner makes your waist smaller. I train abs very simply: dumbbell or cable crunches and ab machines. I do 5 sets for abs about once a week.

4) For carbs, i try to just focus on one thing: breakfast and post workout I eat fast (high GI) carbs, the rest of the time I eat slower (lower GI) carbs. I eat a lot of veggies when dieting, but not so much in the offseason. Offseason I eat a lot of oats and rice.

I don't really have any secrets for all your questions. I wish I could give you a more fun, extravagant answer but the truth (for me) is, its about being consistent (eating and training well) for a long time. Time and consistency are what its about!

Leave a comment:

• sugardaddy69
    replied
    Originally posted by jrod View Post
    I don't really train max-ot (often times close, though), but I have in the past. If you read through this thread you should be able to get an idea of my training style. More recently, I have been paying more attention to how my body feels and adjusting my training accordingly (as opposed to just strictly going by a specific rep range and set of exercises, regardless of how I feel). For the most part, though, my rep range is 4-8 and I do about 4 or 5 sets for smaller bodyparts and about 7 or 8 sets for larger bodyparts. Let me know if you want to know something specifically.

My questions would be, of course assuming everyone is different but:

1. Chest your chest development for a nattie, and you are a young guy a begginer I would say, is amazing any secret strategies for pecs?

2. Lats very wide and thick are there any specific rep tempos ranges exercises you belive work best?

3. Waist line I assume it is genetic or posing but you have thick abdominal muscles care to elaborate what rep ranges work best and why?

4. Do you feel like carb sources matter I am religious about oats but in reality carbs are not as micro nutrient dense as veggies or specific kinds of meats and fish (eggs etc.) and different fats so what do you think are ideal sources of complex carbs or it just does not matter if you have a potato, oats or rice cakes?

Thanks and good luck competing

Leave a comment:

• jrod
    replied
    Yeah, Jeff, I would really like to know more about your training, your diet seems insnane to me anyways (read macros ) so I would just like to know how do you train in the off season to gain strenght and mass so I could incorporate your strategies into my regimen.

Iremeber you said that you follow something akin to max ot just shorter breaks very intense.

Care to share??
    I don't really train max-ot (often times close, though), but I have in the past. If you read through this thread you should be able to get an idea of my training style. More recently, I have been paying more attention to how my body feels and adjusting my training accordingly (as opposed to just strictly going by a specific rep range and set of exercises, regardless of how I feel). For the most part, though, my rep range is 4-8 and I do about 4 or 5 sets for smaller bodyparts and about 7 or 8 sets for larger bodyparts. Let me know if you want to know something specifically.

Leave a comment:

• jrod
    replied
    Originally posted by 46jake View Post
    Jeff, will you be posting your off season strategy: diet and training?
    Its a lot like my offseason diet from last year. I haven't taken the time to sit and write it out as I pretty much know what I should be doing, but I'll take some time later in the week to write something up and put it on my blog.

I'll put up my training, too, but for now its split up like this:

Back, biceps, forearms
    shoulders, traps
    quads, calves
    chest, triceps
    Hamstrings, abs

Leave a comment:

• jrod
    replied
    Originally posted by KMH23 View Post
    Hey Jeff, question about training. A while back I remember you saying you drove to a different gym to use a trap bar for dl and that you felt they were more of a leg exercise for you. I have one at my gym and Im curious about it. I like to dl from the floor but rarely do bc I feel more lower body than upper and I would rather do stiffs which I feel better. Do you still use it? How do you count it as far as bodypart? Quads, Hams, Glutes?
    I wish I had a trap bar at my gym, I would use it for training quads/on leg day. I feel them on my back as well, but consider them more of a lower body/quads,glutes,hips exercise.

Stiff legged deadlifts are great, they're my favorite HAMSTRING exercise; I do not consider these the same as traditional deadlifts.

Leave a comment:

• jrod
    replied
    Originally posted by Quelly View Post
    yes I will hopefully Alberto and I will be able to get a training session in with you this extended offseason if your interested, I think that would kick ass
    No problem

Leave a comment:

• sugardaddy69
    replied
    Yeah, Jeff, I would really like to know more about your training, your diet seems insnane to me anyways (read macros ) so I would just like to know how do you train in the off season to gain strenght and mass so I could incorporate your strategies into my regimen.

Iremeber you said that you follow something akin to max ot just shorter breaks very intense.

Care to share??

Leave a comment:

• 46jake
    replied
    Jeff, will you be posting your off season strategy: diet and training?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X