Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deerod021 View Post
    JROD thanks for the response, I'm sorry If I wasn't clear before, but, what I meant was taking dextrose post workout with my protein shake. I'm one of those people who doesn't notice much when it comes to supplements, seriously there is not something I can pinpoint and say, "wow, that supplement was great for me". That being said, I take the basics-Whey, Multi, Omega 3,6,Joint Formula,BCAA, and Glutamine.

How will I know If its too little or too much Dextrose to take; is starting off with 1 tsp(5 grams) to little?

I have done so many things like Vitagro, pre-workout formulas, etc. and haven't noticed a change in my physique to stay the course. I guess I need to stick to the basics and ride it out and hope my work ethic and dieting catch up to my change in physique(Arms and shoulders are my weakpoints). Maybe the Dextrose is a change in the right direction.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Especially with things like dextrose or other "food" type supplements, its difficult to assess their effectiveness in a short amount of time.

As for the dextrose, I meant err on the side of too little, but not THAT little. Hahaha, I take back what I said about you really can't go wrong; 5 grams is WAY too little. I'm going to guess and say that for a post workout shake, maybe start with about 30g dextrose (6 teaspoons) (with your whey, glutamine, bcaa). Then if you want/can add more, maybe try incorporating a pre-workout shake before adding more to the post-workout shake. It will be hard to know if you're taking too little, since you're used to none, so I doubt you'll notice too little. On the other hand, eating too much dextrose will simply be like eating too much food (dextrose is food), so I think you know what will happen then (it will take a while, though).

"guess I need to stick to the basics and ride it out and hope my work ethic and dieting catch up to my change in physique"
    I agree with this. Its all about being consistent over a LONG period of time. You will eventually get there.
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• lot of tips

Comment

• [quote=jrod;355413] Then if you want/can add more, maybe try incorporating a pre-workout shake before adding more to the post-workout shake.quote]

Jeff, I like this idea a lot. It will help me get in more protein on a daily basis, the reason I don't do it presently is because I go to gym early in the morning before going to work. I eat a solid meal (4 whole Omega3 eggs) and workout 1 hour after. If I add a shake pre-workout I may be full. But I want to give it a go, what I will do is take a shake with Whey, Dextrose,etc like you say instead of drinking my creatine pre-workout drink(I don't drink coffee, never liked it). I'll just put the creatine in the shake also.

Why do you use Dextrose over Waxy Maize Starch?

How come you do Decline Close-Grip presses for Tri's as opposed to flat, is there an advantage towards the tri's in decline position?

Do you ever drink a mult-species protein throughout the day, or is it always WHEY?
        Cancer SURVIVOR

"Falling isn't FAILURE, FAILURE is not getting back up"

Comment

• [quote=Deerod021;356504]
          Originally posted by jrod View Post
          Then if you want/can add more, maybe try incorporating a pre-workout shake before adding more to the post-workout shake.quote]

Jeff, I like this idea a lot. It will help me get in more protein on a daily basis, the reason I don't do it presently is because I go to gym early in the morning before going to work. I eat a solid meal (4 whole Omega3 eggs) and workout 1 hour after. If I add a shake pre-workout I may be full. But I want to give it a go, what I will do is take a shake with Whey, Dextrose,etc like you say instead of drinking my creatine pre-workout drink(I don't drink coffee, never liked it). I'll just put the creatine in the shake also.
          Deerod,

I train at 5:30 AM and something I've been doing for the past 4 months or so is setting my alarm 2 hours before I train (so 3:30) and have a shake or food, then going back to sleep. It has been an amazing difference verses just a pre workout shake, as the body has time to digest and absorb the nutrients. If you can go back to sleep (and have a spouse who doesn't mind the extra alarm) then I would highly recommend trying this.
          www.naturaliowamuscle.com
          www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• [quote=DEDICATE92;356625]
            Originally posted by Deerod021 View Post

Deerod,

I train at 5:30 AM and something I've been doing for the past 4 months or so is setting my alarm 2 hours before I train (so 3:30) and have a shake or food, then going back to sleep. It has been an amazing difference verses just a pre workout shake, as the body has time to digest and absorb the nutrients. If you can go back to sleep (and have a spouse who doesn't mind the extra alarm) then I would highly recommend trying this.

Dedicate I wouldn't even try this, you guessed it right, my wife already complains enough about my dieting habits and the gym (she calls it obsession). If the alarm goes off that early, whew, she'll really get pissed. If your married you can understand, I rather not stir the pot, LOL
            Cancer SURVIVOR

Comment

• [quote=Deerod021;356504]
              Originally posted by jrod View Post
              Then if you want/can add more, maybe try incorporating a pre-workout shake before adding more to the post-workout shake.quote]

Why do you use Dextrose over Waxy Maize Starch?

How come you do Decline Close-Grip presses for Tri's as opposed to flat, is there an advantage towards the tri's in decline position?

Do you ever drink a mult-species protein throughout the day, or is it always WHEY?
              Dedicate92, I think thats a good idea.

However, if you aren't willing (or able) to do that, Deerod, then you've got a couple of options. One idea is what you mentioned. Another would be to change your breakfast to something a bit lighter; maybe have whey as your protein source. Its up to you.

I use dextrose for a couple of reasons. First of all, I take dextrose because it has a very high GI, while I have no idea (i've tried to find it) what the GI of WMS is. Also, dextrose is what I've been taking for years; when I started hearing about WMS I thought it was just another "new" popular supplement that would soon fade. It hasn't yet, so thats a good sign. I'd have to do a little of my own research first, hear what people have to say about it, etc., before taking WMS. I can see the benefit of WMS if it really does have a "nutrient drawing" effect, as I've read; however, a lot of what I've read is that WMS does not bloat one the way dextrose does. However, I don't get bloated from dextrose. Dave is coming out with a WMS(CARBOLYZE). This means I could easily get a hold of it, so I might start actually looking into it so that I can decide to either switch or stick to dextrose. For now, I'm very happy with dextrose.

"Do you ever drink a mult-species protein throughout the day, or is it always WHEY"

Like an egg or soy protein supplement? The only protein powder I drink now is Isolyze. I'm very fortunate to be able to do so. Even if I didn't, I would buy not buy soy or egg (the powder form) protein, I'd only buy whey. Here's what my diet looks like (and my choices of protein): http://www.speciesnutrition.com/athletejrod2.html

Why decline close grip instead of flat? I have heard that the triceps are more heavily recruited/activated in a decline position, but this is not the major reason why I chose to do them like this. The reason is simply for a small variation on the exercise and I wanted to see how it would feel. This is the first time I have ever done them at a decline, I've always done them flat. However, I thought it might a be a nice change; and I really like it. I'd say that both flat and decline close grip presses are great for triceps; just do what's more comfortable or alternate every now and then.
              Jeff Rodriguez
              www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Thanks Jeff, please post your opinion about the WMS when you try it. Can't wait for Tri's next week to try that decline move.
                Cancer SURVIVOR

Comment

• [quote=Deerod021;356759]
                  Originally posted by DEDICATE92 View Post

Dedicate I wouldn't even try this, you guessed it right, my wife already complains enough about my dieting habits and the gym (she calls it obsession). If the alarm goes off that early, whew, she'll really get pissed. If your married you can understand, I rather not stir the pot, LOL
                  Yeah, that is the main limiting factor for a lot of us! Another option is drinking a bunch of water before bed and having your 'internal' clock wake you up, but that is unreliable and the whole point is to injest 2 hours before training.
                  www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                  www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• Have you always eaten more than 2X your bodyweight in protein? Your diet is relatively low in fat, does that stay the same leading up to a contest?
                    Republicans buy shoes too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deerod021 View Post
                      Thanks Jeff, please post your opinion about the WMS when you try it. Can't wait for Tri's next week to try that decline move.
                      Will do.

[quote=DEDICATE92;357865]
                      Originally posted by Deerod021 View Post

Yeah, that is the main limiting factor for a lot of us! Another option is drinking a bunch of water before bed and having your 'internal' clock wake you up, but that is unreliable and the whole point is to injest 2 hours before training.
                      Thats a great idea. I think your idea is better than nothing at all. I'd rather eat breakfast 3 hours before training than not eat breakfast at all.
                      Jeff Rodriguez
                      www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by BPT20 View Post
                        Have you always eaten more than 2X your bodyweight in protein? Your diet is relatively low in fat, does that stay the same leading up to a contest?
                        No, I have not always eaten over twice my bodyweight in protein. Early on, back when I weighed about 155-160 my goal was to eat 200-240g protein/day. Over the years I have gradually eaten more protein and found that it helps.

Yes, my diet stays relatively low in fat even when dieting for a show.
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• congrats on being Anabolic Freak of the month

Comment

• Off Season Diet

Jeff, Congrats on the Freak of the Month profile in MD. I have a question regarding your off season diet on the Species website. Do you change it in any way on an off day, other than eliminating the pre, intra, and post workout shakes?

Thanks
                            " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

Comment

• Originally posted by rockhard View Post
                              Jeff, Congrats on the Freak of the Month profile in MD. I have a question regarding your off season diet on the Species website. Do you change it in any way on an off day, other than eliminating the pre, intra, and post workout shakes?

Thanks
                              Thanks, Rzilla and Rockhard; it's nice to get to see your own picture in a major publication like MD.

Regarding the off-day diet, I eat the same breakfast as training days, then one of the meals listed under meals #4-7 every 2 hours. I'll write this up more formally/nicer and email it to Dave to have him put it up on the site. I'll get back to you on this when it's up.
                              Jeff Rodriguez
                              www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Congrats

Hey Jeff

Congrats on freak of the month on MD!!!! Hard work pays off bro!!!! Keep it up!!! Come strong at the Team U!!!!
                                kiyoshimoody.com
                                *TEAM GENR8* genr8speed.com

Comment

Working...
                                X