Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
    hows the job search going bro??

    Are you looking for something in a certain field??

    Cos you majored in math right?? Or are you doing something that doesnt have anything to do with your degree ( like myself )
    Hey Flex,

    Funny you should ask, I accepted an offer (just this last friday) for a position in sales. I'll always have my math degree to fall back on (EG teaching), but this is something I want to try and think I'll like and do well at.

    I know you're a counselor (from other thread), but what did you get your degree in?
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

    Comment


    • Hi again JRod!

      Congrats on your sales position, I'm sure you'll do fantastic!

      Again, thank you for posting consistently here, great information as always.

      Now for a bit of a different type of question for you:

      Do you ever get personal trainers coming up to you in the gym either suggesting to you that you do something a little differently OR that the exercise you're doing is wrong OR that your form is wrong OR anything to that effect? It seems that bigger guys or muscularly defined guys who are also big like yourself are the target of these trainers who like to tell you guys that you're doing something incorrectly. Has that ever happened to you?

      Also - how often are you asked questions in the gym - WHILE you're training - regarding how to train, diet, supplement, etc and how often are you accused of roid usage in the gym?

      Looking forward to your answers, and those pictures you posted earlier (which I missed) really look fantastic. I know a few guys who take drugs who don't look as ripped as you with as much muscle. You arms look to be about 18.5 / 19" in those pics. Is that accurate?

      "This is starting to sound like an After-School Special"

      Comment


      • I got my degree in kinesiology.

        But if you ever want to get into what im doing. You start off at 50grand a year. ( but u can make plenty more w/overtime) In 5 years you max out at about 80 grand a year. You dont work hard and your a state employee, and you get peace officer status and a badge. Its a good gig, oh yea, u can retire at 50 with 90% of your wages.

        If your interested PM me.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
          I got my degree in kinesiology.

          But if you ever want to get into what im doing. You start off at 50grand a year. ( but u can make plenty more w/overtime) In 5 years you max out at about 80 grand a year. You dont work hard and your a state employee, and you get peace officer status and a badge. Its a good gig, oh yea, u can retire at 50 with 90% of your wages.

          If your interested PM me.
          Juvenile counselor?
          Believe it or not some positions here in Sac require a Masters for that.
          One of my good friends is a juvenile PO and he does quite well for himself.
          Assistant to the regional manager.
          Iron8 approved

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jrod View Post
            Also, as far as squats go, I believe that its when you go past parallel that you really recruit the glutes.
            Thats the thing.I found that I could handle more weight with just above parallel squats and decided to try them for awhile.Well my quads responded fast but as I wrote my hams and glutes became neglected.

            A yr ago I worked up to 4 plates on each side in squats to parallel.The crazy thing is that all of a sudden I couldnt feel my hams and glutes working anymore and so they began to shrink.So it just got worse and worse and I quit for awhile

            Now the stiff legged deads are my ticket to balanced muscularity.Its all in making sure you look balanced IMO.Im gonna try some lunges next.

            Great about video being same WO with offseason attitude

            Comment


            • [quote=LeePriestLover;377414]Hi again JRod!

              Congrats on your sales position, I'm sure you'll do fantastic!

              Again, thank you for posting consistently here, great information as always.

              Now for a bit of a different type of question for you:

              Do you ever get personal trainers coming up to you in the gym either suggesting to you that you do something a little differently OR that the exercise you're doing is wrong OR that your form is wrong OR anything to that effect? It seems that bigger guys or muscularly defined guys who are also big like yourself are the target of these trainers who like to tell you guys that you're doing something incorrectly. Has that ever happened to you?

              This hasn't really happend to me many times, but here are a two that I remembr.

              1) About a month ago I was talking to a trainer at 24 hour fitness about the diet they put their clients on. The trainer started talking to me about this thing called the bodybugg (http://www.bodybugg.com/). Its this device you wear around your arm (like an mp3 player--maybe ipod sized) that tells you how many calories you're burning while you wear it (even when sleeping). The trainer then told me that I should get one so that I could come in looking better for my next show. If I have a bodybugg, they said, I'd know exactly how to diet, because I know how many calories I burn each day, and therefore I would look a lot leaner at my next show.

              2) A gym member asked me if I train for bodybuilding. We got to talking about bodybuilding a bit (he knew nothing about bodybuilding) and he started telling me that a lot of people don't undestand that you need to train legs to get big. He then told me that if I wanted to get even bigger, I should really focus on deep squats and making my glutes, hamstrings, and quads bigger. I thanked him for his advice and started my shoulder workout. After I was done, as I was sipping on my post workout shake and about to leave, this guy came up to me again and introduced me to his friend. He told me that his friend was a really good bodybuilder and won a couple of shows around the area. So I talked to his friend a bit (actually I didn't do much talking, both of them were kind of just telling me things and I just listened) and turns out his friend won the light-weight novice class at a regional show around here. Without asking for any advice, his friend just started telling me how he eats (so that I can get an idea of how to do it) and gave me a few suggestions on how to eat/diet.

              Often times, so long as it doesn't distrupt my workout, things like this don't bother me. They're actually interesting sometimes.

              Also - how often are you asked questions in the gym - WHILE you're training - regarding how to train, diet, supplement, etc and how often are you accused of roid usage in the gym?

              Questions, I get pretty often. Most of the time, though, they're just quick, little questions. Even when they're longer questions, I try to be nice and answer thoughtfully. As long as its not distrupting my workout, and I'm usually pretty good about not letting it (I ask them to give me a minute to do my set if I need to), I really don't mind. If anything, I can totally understand because everyone has to start somewhere, it sucks to have to re-invent the wheel, and I, too, used to be in their position.

              As for being accused of roid usage, it's happend, but never to my face. I've only ever heard of people telling other people they're sure I'm on drugs. The closest to actually accusing me happened while I was mixing up my pre-workout shake in the locker room at the gym at UC Davis. This student was watching me drink my shake and asked me what I was drinking and some tips on how to put on some muscle. I told him what I was drinking and gave him some tips. He had this weird look on his face after hearing my advice, a look of "AND!" or like I left something out, and then he said, "Come on, man, whats the REAL secret to looking like you do." I knew what he wanted to hear, so I told him "Alright, just don't tell anyone this, okay. I take a lot of steroids. Please don't tell anyone." He smiled proudly, like he'd gotten some real top secret, inside information and I left the locker room.

              Looking forward to your answers, and those pictures you posted earlier (which I missed) really look fantastic. I know a few guys who take drugs who don't look as ripped as you with as much muscle. You arms look to be about 18.5 / 19" in those pics. Is that accurate?

              Hmmm, it's hard to say since I don't measure, but I would not say my arms are 19 inches.
              Jeff Rodriguez
              www.jrodfitness.com

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jrod View Post

                Hmmm, it's hard to say since I don't measure, but I would not say my arms are 19 inches.
                Awesome Jeff, thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

                The reason why I thought 19 is because I measure mine (hey, we all have dreams, right?) and I compared my picture to yours. You're arms and mine are about the same size, but you definitely have more tricep mass. My arms, flexed in the same rear double, measure about 18. Since you're larger, I assumed 19.

                By the way, I say the same thing to people when they ask about roid use and they persist. That I take LOADS of it. They also know I'm joking since I start going crazy and saying other things like, "I take them before, after, during and while sleeping. I also tend to drink the oil instead of injecting and inhale creatine to get better absorption."

                No joke, all true. I also, like you, answer people when I'm training regarding questions and I always give advice, and, like you, if I need to do a set I tell them to hang on a sec, and they do, and I go back to talking.

                What I can't stand is when a trainer comes up to me - like as in a personal trainer, and in the last case I was in, the General Manager of personal training (I guess that's an important position... oooh) who happens to look like butter bean (I kid you not) tells me I had bad form on an exercise. I reacted fine, told him why I did it, but it just got to me. So I figured I'd ask you about it since I knew you'd be alot more civil than me, and that it must happen more often to you.

                My apologies for the long winded response, but thank you again Jeff for being generous with your time and patient answers!!
                "This is starting to sound like an After-School Special"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LeePriestLover View Post
                  Awesome Jeff, thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

                  The reason why I thought 19 is because I measure mine (hey, we all have dreams, right?) and I compared my picture to yours. You're arms and mine are about the same size, but you definitely have more tricep mass. My arms, flexed in the same rear double, measure about 18. Since you're larger, I assumed 19.

                  By the way, I say the same thing to people when they ask about roid use and they persist. That I take LOADS of it. They also know I'm joking since I start going crazy and saying other things like, "I take them before, after, during and while sleeping. I also tend to drink the oil instead of injecting and inhale creatine to get better absorption."

                  No joke, all true. I also, like you, answer people when I'm training regarding questions and I always give advice, and, like you, if I need to do a set I tell them to hang on a sec, and they do, and I go back to talking.

                  What I can't stand is when a trainer comes up to me - like as in a personal trainer, and in the last case I was in, the General Manager of personal training (I guess that's an important position... oooh) who happens to look like butter bean (I kid you not) tells me I had bad form on an exercise. I reacted fine, told him why I did it, but it just got to me. So I figured I'd ask you about it since I knew you'd be alot more civil than me, and that it must happen more often to you.

                  My apologies for the long winded response, but thank you again Jeff for being generous with your time and patient answers!!
                  I love it when people tell me I need to improve my form on an exercise. I usually let them finish and then ask them what kind of credentials they have, and where did they learn their expertise in the field from.

                  When they cannot answer either question, I walk away.

                  Comment


                  • JRod,

                    What do u think about Alan Bailey who beat you narrowly at the team u's finishing 3rd at the nationals.

                    Im not saying that he's not natural, but to stand on a national stage and compete pose to pose with those other guys, I doubt he's just taking creatine.

                    How do u feel about this issue?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by LeePriestLover View Post
                      Hi again JRod!
                      Do you ever get personal trainers coming up to you in the gym either suggesting to you that you do something a little differently ...
                      Actually, something like this happened on Friday which made me think of this question.

                      I was scooping some Isolyze (straight out of the bottle) into my shaker to make my mid workout shake when this trainer (walking by with a client) says to me, "You having some xyience?" I looked down at the bottle of Isolyze I was scooping out of and noticed that the label was directly facing him (meaning it obviously says "ISOLYZE"); regardless, I told him, it wasn't xyience. Then he said, "Oh, well you really should get some xyience, mmmm, its really good." I just nodded and smiled. I figured he was either trying to push it to his client, or maybe it was on sale at the gym.
                      Jeff Rodriguez
                      www.jrodfitness.com

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
                        JRod,

                        What do u think about Alan Bailey who beat you narrowly at the team u's finishing 3rd at the nationals.

                        Im not saying that he's not natural, but to stand on a national stage and compete pose to pose with those other guys, I doubt he's just taking creatine.

                        How do u feel about this issue?
                        Regarding his placing I think it's great that he placed so well. I spoke to Bailey on the phone after the TU and he told me then that he planned on doing Nationals. Since then I hoped he would do extrememly well. After all, wouldn't anyone rather get beat by the guy who places 1st, than the guy who places 15th?

                        Think about it like this. Let us suppose that, worst case scenario, the judges at Nationals judge exactly the same as the judges did at the TU. Furthermore, lets suppose that Bailey and I looked the same as we did at the TU. Then, simply put, I'm no better than Bailey. Therefore, if Bailey places 1st, then I could place as high as 2nd. However, if Bailey places 10th, then I could place no higher than 11th.

                        Now, regarding his natural status, commenting on that puts me in a tough position. I've heard and seen evidence against it and I've also spoken to Bailey who says he's completely, 100%, lifetime drug free. So, instead of commenting on that, I'll address how you seem to have come to that conclusion. Just because he placed 3rd at nationals does not imply Bailey is not natural (it doesn't imply otherwise, as well, obviously). You say Bailey "narrowly" beat me at the TU, which means i was close. So, according to that logic, its conceiveable that I would do okay at Nationals and I'm natural. I think there are naturals that would do well at Nationals.
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

                        Comment


                        • Well what I was really asking is, how do u feel about placing 2nd at the team u's to a guy who "might" be on the sauce??

                          But like u said, its a great compliment to your physique that you placed 2nd to a guy who is a top 3 middleweight in the country right now.

                          I know its a question u cant really answer, but I was just curious when i saw him, I thought of u. (in a totally non gay way)
                          Originally posted by jrod View Post
                          Regarding his placing I think it's great that he placed so well. I spoke to Bailey on the phone after the TU and he told me then that he planned on doing Nationals. Since then I hoped he would do extrememly well. After all, wouldn't anyone rather get beat by the guy who places 1st, than the guy who places 15th?

                          Think about it like this. Let us suppose that, worst case scenario, the judges at Nationals judge exactly the same as the judges did at the TU. Furthermore, lets suppose that Bailey and I looked the same as we did at the TU. Then, simply put, I'm no better than Bailey. Therefore, if Bailey places 1st, then I could place as high as 2nd. However, if Bailey places 10th, then I could place no higher than 11th.

                          Now, regarding his natural status, commenting on that puts me in a tough position. I've heard and seen evidence against it and I've also spoken to Bailey who says he's completely, 100%, lifetime drug free. So, instead of commenting on that, I'll address how you seem to have come to that conclusion. Just because he placed 3rd at nationals does not imply Bailey is not natural (it doesn't imply otherwise, as well, obviously). You say Bailey "narrowly" beat me at the TU, which means i was close. So, according to that logic, its conceiveable that I would do okay at Nationals and I'm natural. I think there are naturals that would do well at Nationals.

                          Comment


                          • [quote=flexingtonsteele;383910]Well what I was really asking is, how do u feel about placing 2nd at the team u's to a guy who "might" be on the sauce??

                            But like u said, its a great compliment to your physique that you placed 2nd to a guy who is a top 3 middleweight in the country right now.

                            I know its a question u cant really answer, but I was just curious when i saw him, I thought of u. (in a totally non gay way)[/quote]

                            Hahaha, you sure about that, Flex?

                            Seriously, though, in the end, as much as I would love to win my class at the TU and as shitty as it would be for someone to beat me by cheating (not to say that he was, rather this is what I think you're asking), I'd rather get beat by someone that is NOT natural. Why? Not because I think it's okay to compete on drugs at a drug free show, but because placing 2nd to someone who is not natural means I was the best natural bodybuilder in my class; and that, afterall, is my goal: to be the best natural bodybuilder in the class/show.
                            Jeff Rodriguez
                            www.jrodfitness.com

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jrod View Post
                              Actually, something like this happened on Friday which made me think of this question.

                              I was scooping some Isolyze (straight out of the bottle) into my shaker to make my mid workout shake when this trainer (walking by with a client) says to me, "You having some xyience?" I looked down at the bottle of Isolyze I was scooping out of and noticed that the label was directly facing him (meaning it obviously says "ISOLYZE"); regardless, I told him, it wasn't xyience. Then he said, "Oh, well you really should get some xyience, mmmm, its really good." I just nodded and smiled. I figured he was either trying to push it to his client, or maybe it was on sale at the gym.
                              Haha!

                              Definitely trying to show his client that you'd make even BETTER gains with his product as opposed to yours, and also I guess he wanted to show his client that he knew you, and possibly helped you along the way somehow.

                              I say that because I've overheard at least 2 trainers at my gym tell their clients that "He couldn't handle my workout" - referring to ME - and I would go over and tell him, "Yeah, it's true - it's much more strenuous to do the swiss ball sit-ups than it is to bench 300 pounds."

                              I'm more of a seasoned smart-ass at these types of things, and I do take it in stride, for the most part, unless an overweight guy comes up to me and accuses me of doing something wrong, then I lose it.
                              "This is starting to sound like an After-School Special"

                              Comment


                              • [quote=jrod;383998]
                                Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
                                Well what I was really asking is, how do u feel about placing 2nd at the team u's to a guy who "might" be on the sauce??

                                But like u said, its a great compliment to your physique that you placed 2nd to a guy who is a top 3 middleweight in the country right now.

                                I know its a question u cant really answer, but I was just curious when i saw him, I thought of u. (in a totally non gay way)[/quote]

                                Hahaha, you sure about that, Flex?

                                Seriously, though, in the end, as much as I would love to win my class at the TU and as shitty as it would be for someone to beat me by cheating (not to say that he was, rather this is what I think you're asking), I'd rather get beat by someone that is NOT natural. Why? Not because I think it's okay to compete on drugs at a drug free show, but because placing 2nd to someone who is not natural means I was the best natural bodybuilder in my class; and that, afterall, is my goal: to be the best natural bodybuilder in the class/show.

                                Hey J, Very good response bro!!!! Keep working hard. I think the same way bro!!!! Team U is 9 months away!!!
                                kiyoshimoody.com
                                *TEAM GENR8* genr8speed.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X