Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by fast-twitch View Post
    you always train this way? or did it evole?
    I did not start training like this from day one. Furthermore, once I started training like this, it has gradually evolved to what it is today.
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

    Comment


    • #92
      jeff, do you follow the max ot anabolic nutrient timing factor. i too have looked at skip and jeffs journals and your pre during and post workout nurition is very similar.as far as protien to carb ratio do you ever think getting 350+ grams of protien is a little over kill? and the fact that most of the total is from whey?

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by kreilly1656 View Post
        jeff, do you follow the max ot anabolic nutrient timing factor. i too have looked at skip and jeffs journals and your pre during and post workout nurition is very similar.as far as protien to carb ratio do you ever think getting 350+ grams of protien is a little over kill? and the fact that most of the total is from whey?

        My diet's structure is like ANTF; however, I've changed my meal 3 (2 1/2 post training) to a low-med GI carb, not a high carb (this is a new change for me): http://www.speciesnutrition.com/athletejrod2.html

        Is 350g Protein overkill? Well, over the years I have found that (through trial and error) I need a lot of protein. I used to eat 200g/day, then 240, then 300, then 350, and now I eat about 450g protein/day off-season. This is what I have found works best for me. I've noticed that a high protein intake for me means faster/greater improvements. Now, I'm sure there is a limit; as in X amount of protein will yield the same amount of improvements as X+100 or X+200, etc. So, as of today, from a few years of trial and error, I have found X to be around the 400g protein range.

        Now, as I mentioned, this is what I have found works for ME (and I know this is a lot of protein). Is your X the same as mine? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe if you were to take 350g or 400g protein/day you'd get fat; maybe you'd notice the same thing I have. But, anyways, to answer your question, I do not think 350g of protein/day is overkill for me.

        As for most of my total being from whey, well, I believe whey (WPI) is the best protein (in terms of bio-availability, quality, etc.). Furthermore (and more practically), it is very hard to eat lots of protein from chicken/steak/fish, as I would have to eat a lot of volume. Having most of my protein from whey is convenient (less cooking/preparing) and makes eating a lot of protein easier.
        Jeff Rodriguez
        www.jrodfitness.com

        Comment


        • #94
          hahah ya for sure its just my pallet gets tired of ''drinking'' my food lol.....wpi is less likely to bloat but a con is the price. i am currently following some what of the max ot ....instead of 4-6 is more 6-8 due to joints and tendon pains, you ever experience this? while intensity is still high i feel more muscle recruitment in this range.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by kreilly1656 View Post
            hahah ya for sure its just my pallet gets tired of ''drinking'' my food lol.....wpi is less likely to bloat but a con is the price. i am currently following some what of the max ot ....instead of 4-6 is more 6-8 due to joints and tendon pains, you ever experience this? while intensity is still high i feel more muscle recruitment in this range.
            Yes, I've experienced joint and tendon pains. Usually, though, I get these pains from form/technique issues; when I let the joint/tendon heal and I correct the form, the issue usually goes away.

            It is, however, easier to keep good form using higher reps. So if you feel more comfortable with 6-8, thats fine. In the end, I think more important than rep range is time (longevity) and consistency. And if that means training 6-8 reps then you're all good.
            Jeff Rodriguez
            www.jrodfitness.com

            Comment


            • #96
              Jeff what kind of headphones do you have in the In The Trenches video..I got the little ball ones from Shure and starting to hurt me ears
              http://www.anabolic-society.com/forum.php

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by daeagles View Post
                Jeff what kind of headphones do you have in the In The Trenches video..I got the little ball ones from Shure and starting to hurt me ears
                I have the ear-clip style. I bought them at RiteAid for $4.99 ; cheap, but they're good enough for me. Here they are:

                http://www.audio-discounters.com/ec-150.html
                Jeff Rodriguez
                www.jrodfitness.com

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by jrod View Post
                  For several weeks before the show I had been loading on sodium and drinking lots of water. Wednesday, July 11th (day before weigh-ins) was the 6th day that I drank 5 gallons of water and my last day of sodium loading. I slept about 8 hours that night and had pissed twice (I think; could have been 3, but if forget). I got up at about 12:30 pm (I was in NY but still on CA time) pissed again then weighed myself; I weighed 179. I decided to watch my water intake until 6 pm weigh-ins (only 5 1/2 hours) to try to make the 176 1/4 cut-off for the middle-weight class. I believe I drank about 36 ounces and 3 shots of espresso before the weigh-ins (finished off my remaining water as scheduled the rest of the day) and weighed in at 175.

                  I would attribute this drop in water weight to my water/sodium manipulations.
                  hi jeff. i would like to ask u a couple of questions on your water/sodium manipulation. i have been doing the same for my upcoming comp in a couple of weeks. keeping water very high and sodium high as well. i have realised i can drop 3-5 pounds over the night if i drank alot before i slept and pee during the night,taking my weight the next morning imm upon waking.i have experimented this a couple of times and knows it works.however i do not alter my sodium intake during these trials( still kept high) i intend to continue to use this method to make my weight at the comp.

                  my question is :

                  1)will lowering my sodium increase the effect of weight loss?
                  2)i want to be "safe" to ensure i make my weight. i am guessing yes, and if so how do i drop my sodium? (timing/gradual/drastic)

                  assuming my weighing in is on a thursday this is my plan, pls advise on it:

                  week before: high water and sodium intake
                  monday: sodium decreased, water increased
                  tuesday:sodium decreased even furthur, water intake increase
                  wednesday : avoid sodium laden food and condiments (try to avoid sodium as best as i can), very water intake high throughout the day cut at 9pm, drink couple cups of coffee at the end.
                  thursday: weigh-in at 10 am.

                  thanks alot for your help and advise

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    1) It might a bit, but nothing as drastic as the effect you will get from lessening your water intake.

                    2) When I did the TU in July, I managed to go from 190 to 179 overnight. Weigh-ins were also on thursday for my (at 6pm). Here is what I did:

                    I made sure to drink at least 3-3.5 gallons throughout my contest prep until the last week. From Saturday to Wednesday of last week, I drank 5 gallons. Thursday (1 day out) ~1.25 gallons; Friday ~1 gallon (about 50 oz before stage, about 80 after), Saturday ~60-70oz before stage (rehydrated afterwards!).

                    My comments on your plan. First of all, if your water is already high (4-5 gallons?), then I don't think you need to increase even more on MON & TUE. Also, I would not decrease sodium so early; I would keep it in until closer to weigh-ins.

                    I don't know exactly what your situation is, but generally, I would say that if I were in your situation, I would plan my water/sodium manipulations and the timing of things to LOOK my best on the day of the show, not necessarily to make a certain weight.

                    Originally posted by notle View Post
                    hi jeff. i would like to ask u a couple of questions on your water/sodium manipulation. i have been doing the same for my upcoming comp in a couple of weeks. keeping water very high and sodium high as well. i have realised i can drop 3-5 pounds over the night if i drank alot before i slept and pee during the night,taking my weight the next morning imm upon waking.i have experimented this a couple of times and knows it works.however i do not alter my sodium intake during these trials( still kept high) i intend to continue to use this method to make my weight at the comp.

                    my question is :

                    1)will lowering my sodium increase the effect of weight loss?
                    2)i want to be "safe" to ensure i make my weight. i am guessing yes, and if so how do i drop my sodium? (timing/gradual/drastic)

                    assuming my weighing in is on a thursday this is my plan, pls advise on it:

                    week before: high water and sodium intake
                    monday: sodium decreased, water increased
                    tuesday:sodium decreased even furthur, water intake increase
                    wednesday : avoid sodium laden food and condiments (try to avoid sodium as best as i can), very water intake high throughout the day cut at 9pm, drink couple cups of coffee at the end.
                    thursday: weigh-in at 10 am.

                    thanks alot for your help and advise
                    Jeff Rodriguez
                    www.jrodfitness.com

                    Comment


                    • thanks for your time and response jeff. i am with you on keeping my best for the comp day.there is one similarity btw your comp and mine (thurs weigh in, sat show), since you managed to drop so much weight wed night, im assuming its possible for me to drop some weight too, perhaps not as drastic as yours, and still look good for your show. i will be following your protocol quite closely.

                      have 1 final questions regarding the day to drop sodium and whether . u said i should drop it closer to the weigh in, im guessing it should be a sudden drop den correct?

                      so would it be better to :
                      1)sunday-monday---> sodium remain high
                      2)tuesday----> lower sodium slightly.
                      3)wed-----> avoid sodium as completely as i can.

                      or

                      1) keep sodim high sunday-tuesday
                      2)drop all sodium on wed.

                      my weigh in is thurs 10am
                      i know its not big a diff and kinda silly but im juz kinda paranoid and wanna do my best.

                      appreciate your advise alot jeff.thanks.

                      Comment


                      • "i know its not big a diff and kinda silly but im juz kinda paranoid and wanna do my best."
                        I TOTALLY understand. Thats what this thread is for. Its better that you ask a million questions and are paranoid than just not prepare. After all, I'm sure you've put a lot of effort into your prep.

                        Between the two, I would suggest something more like your second option:

                        1) keep sodim high sunday-tuesday
                        2)drop all sodium on wed. *****


                        However, I would have kept sodium pretty high for longer than a week (a few). *****Also, I would NOT DROP ALL sodium on Wednesday. I would just go down to what is naturally occuring in the foods you eat and, of course, select foods that are fairly low in sodium.

                        Is your show on Saturday ONLY? My show was Friday prejudging, Saturday Finals. So, keep in mind that what I did was geared towards making me look best on Friday.


                        Originally posted by notle View Post
                        thanks for your time and response jeff. i am with you on keeping my best for the comp day.there is one similarity btw your comp and mine (thurs weigh in, sat show), since you managed to drop so much weight wed night, im assuming its possible for me to drop some weight too, perhaps not as drastic as yours, and still look good for your show. i will be following your protocol quite closely.

                        have 1 final questions regarding the day to drop sodium and whether . u said i should drop it closer to the weigh in, im guessing it should be a sudden drop den correct?

                        so would it be better to :
                        1)sunday-monday---> sodium remain high
                        2)tuesday----> lower sodium slightly.
                        3)wed-----> avoid sodium as completely as i can.

                        or

                        1) keep sodim high sunday-tuesday
                        2)drop all sodium on wed.

                        my weigh in is thurs 10am
                        i know its not big a diff and kinda silly but im juz kinda paranoid and wanna do my best.

                        appreciate your advise alot jeff.thanks.
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

                        Comment


                        • haha...thanks jeff. yep i agree not to drastically drop sodium. will be doing 1 trial this week to see how it goes..aiming to peak on saturday. btw my comp is only on sat, prejudge in the morning and finals in e evening.

                          thanks once again ,you've been a great help

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jrod View Post
                            However, I would have kept sodium pretty high for longer than a week (a few). *****Also, I would NOT DROP ALL sodium on Wednesday. I would just go down to what is naturally occuring in the foods you eat and, of course, select foods that are fairly low in sodium.

                            Is your show on Saturday ONLY? My show was Friday prejudging, Saturday Finals. So, keep in mind that what I did was geared towards making me look best on Friday.
                            Jeff,

                            If the show is on Saturday, I'm assuming you would bring the sodium down on Thursday vs. Wednesday?
                            www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                            www.heartlandclassic.com

                            Comment


                            • notle, No problem.



                              Originally posted by DEDICATE92 View Post
                              Jeff,

                              If the show is on Saturday, I'm assuming you would bring the sodium down on Thursday vs. Wednesday?
                              My personal take on this is that if I am lean enough and have gotten my body used to processing lots of water, then I am going to be walking around pretty dry and conditioned as it is; so, I would err on the side of underdoing the sodium depletion, or doing it late. Meaning, I would do it closer, rather than further from the show, and I would not go down to no sodium. So, if my show was on saturday, I'd probably lessen sodium on friday (1 day out or a bit less than 24 hours out).

                              This is because I think I will start to look, as time goes on:

                              better, better,...peak, worse, worse,...normal.

                              So I'd like to step on stage at the peak or better state (which is why I would err on the side of starting depletion late).

                              So between your two choices, I'd go with thursday.
                              Jeff Rodriguez
                              www.jrodfitness.com

                              Comment


                              • This an interesting topic. You feel strongly that this sodium depletion is very effective, even for the natural bodybuilder. I have always used the if it's not broken don't fix it attitude; worried that I would screw some peaking technique up and look worse.

                                Thanks for sharing your ideas.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X