Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mrky03 View Post
    Thanks, I didn't sodium deplete as much for this show I've had trouble with coming in flat in the past when I take it too low. I am keeping sodium high right now and I'm up about 2-3 pounds over my contest weight. I don't drink as much water as you but I am trying to drink 2 gal. a day. I'll try to up it to 3 gal. a day the last week. Wow I'm going to the bathroom about every half hr. all day now! I can't even imagine drinking 5 gallons!

    I need to go back in this thread and review what you're doing. I know it doesn't help to cut sodium or water too soon.
    It might be easier to use my blog for this (check out the september entries): http://jrod123.blogspot.com/2008/09/1-day-out.html


    Here's a quick summary:
    (assuming friday pre-judge)

    water: sunday-wed = 5 gallons, thursday = 1.5 gallons, friday = 1 gallon
    sodium: high all the way till wed. thursday, friday = low/moderate (just whats in the foods i eat)

    i dont know if this is useful to you, but i thought i looked better on saturday and the only difference was on thursday i ate oats and rice for carbs, but friday night and throughout saturday I ate a lot of bananas and raisins (along with the oats and rice). Maybe it was the added potassium?
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jrod View Post
      It might be easier to use my blog for this (check out the september entries): http://jrod123.blogspot.com/2008/09/1-day-out.html


      Here's a quick summary:
      (assuming friday pre-judge)

      water: sunday-wed = 5 gallons, thursday = 1.5 gallons, friday = 1 gallon
      sodium: high all the way till wed. thursday, friday = low/moderate (just whats in the foods i eat)

      i dont know if this is useful to you, but i thought i looked better on saturday and the only difference was on thursday i ate oats and rice for carbs, but friday night and throughout saturday I ate a lot of bananas and raisins (along with the oats and rice). Maybe it was the added potassium?
      Potassium? Most likely not. The extra carbs filled you out more. Many would be surprise how much glycogen bodbuilders can actually hold before "spilling". When guys say they "spill" from overcarbing, it's more than likely to be from lack of sodium..

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BigSur View Post
        Potassium? Most likely not. The extra carbs filled you out more. Many would be surprise how much glycogen bodbuilders can actually hold before "spilling". When guys say they "spill" from overcarbing, it's more than likely to be from lack of sodium..
        Actually, you might be right because I did eat more carbs on friday night (after pre-judging) and all of saturday before stepping on stage.

        Next time, I'll try eating more carbs BEFORE prejudging. I was trying to be conservative this time around and see how that would play out.

        This is one reason why I should do at least another show before the TU next year. Also, I'd like to see what I'd look like on stage around 4 weeks out (its different being on stage with minimal water and color applied compared to living room progress pics).
        Jeff Rodriguez
        www.jrodfitness.com

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jrod View Post
          Actually, you might be right because I did eat more carbs on friday night (after pre-judging) and all of saturday before stepping on stage.

          Next time, I'll try eating more carbs BEFORE prejudging. I was trying to be conservative this time around and see how that would play out.

          This is one reason why I should do at least another show before the TU next year. Also, I'd like to see what I'd look like on stage around 4 weeks out (its different being on stage with minimal water and color applied compared to living room progress pics).
          Big Sur is no doubt right, I probably never eat enough right before a show.

          Thanks for all your help Jeff, like I said you have been a big inspiration to me this year! Seems like I'm always trying to tweak the last few days for maximum effect!

          Comment


          • Hey Jay Rod.. I need some tips for show day.. do you carb up or anything and if you do what's the best time to do it? I'm hearing that 3hrs before show time should be my last meal so... help me out. Any other tricks or treats would be helpful.. thanks in advanced. I just realized you used basamati rice.. we talking 1 cup or what?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by saucetradomous View Post
              Hey Jay Rod.. I need some tips for show day.. do you carb up or anything and if you do what's the best time to do it? I'm hearing that 3hrs before show time should be my last meal so... help me out. Any other tricks or treats would be helpful.. thanks in advanced. I just realized you used basamati rice.. we talking 1 cup or what?
              Yes, I carb up about 2 days before the show, up until the show. As for last meal, I wouldn't go on stage with after a huge meal, but other than that, it probably makes little difference whether you go on stage 1,2,3,4 hours after eating. Just do whats comfortable (I like about 2 hours).

              As for rice I used about 3/4 cup. You can check out my blogs for september: www.jrod123.blogspot.com . I posted about what I did for the show.
              Jeff Rodriguez
              www.jrodfitness.com

              Comment


              • Jrod - Just found this thread, it has a lot of good information.
                BTW - you looked awesome at TU this year

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Dom View Post
                  Jrod - Just found this thread, it has a lot of good information.
                  BTW - you looked awesome at TU this year
                  Thanks, glad you like it.
                  Jeff Rodriguez
                  www.jrodfitness.com

                  Comment


                  • Any idea when your next Trenches vid is going to be put out? Or have you not done the voice-over for it yet?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Fitzchivalry View Post
                      Any idea when your next Trenches vid is going to be put out? Or have you not done the voice-over for it yet?
                      You're referring to the one I shot right after this year's TU, right? I already did the voice-over with **** ******* (did it the same night I was on NBR) and I believe its already been edited (by Bill Comstock). I'm not sure when/if that will be put up; I think its just up to Dave now...
                      Jeff Rodriguez
                      www.jrodfitness.com

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jrod View Post
                        You're referring to the one I shot right after this year's TU, right? I already did the voice-over with **** ******* (did it the same night I was on NBR) and I believe its already been edited (by Bill Comstock). I'm not sure when/if that will be put up; I think its just up to Dave now...
                        Great, I can't wait to see it! You keep me fired up!

                        Comment


                        • Here's an update about trap bar deadlifts, which I started doing 2 weeks ago:

                          http://jrod123.blogspot.com/
                          Jeff Rodriguez
                          www.jrodfitness.com

                          Comment


                          • I love using those trap bars, but you just don't see them around in the newer gyms. My old gym before it closed had one and even had its own platform to perform the deadlifts. I wish all gyms had these.

                            Comment


                            • Jeff, is this at the pleasanton gym? That is the only one I know of in the area with a trap bar, but I hate driving over there since I am always in the Hayward/Oakland area.

                              Great to hear your offseason is off to a good start.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
                                Jeff, is this at the pleasanton gym? That is the only one I know of in the area with a trap bar, but I hate driving over there since I am always in the Hayward/Oakland area.

                                Great to hear your offseason is off to a good start.
                                I didn't know Pleasanton had one; but thats a bit of a drive for me too. The one I used was in the Berkeley 24 hour fitness. The gym is just ok. I've been going there just to use the trap bar.

                                Hows your offseason going?
                                Jeff Rodriguez
                                www.jrodfitness.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X