Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd question for you (on fashion), what's the overall size difference in terms of clothing (fit, etc.) between your heavier weight and lighter weight? The reason I ask is because I may try and get up to 195ish or so lbs, but I doubt that I'll be happy with my bf at that range so I'll have to remove the excess fat a bit. It makes picking out clothes somewhat difficult with this in mind.
    Do you have separate clothing attire for both or is there really not too much of a noticeable difference of say between your 205 and your not quite contest lean ranges?

Comment

• Originally posted by mrky03 View Post
      Your workout split looks tough!

Question, do you think there are any leg exercises that will affect the outer sweep of the thigh more? I've never really subscribed to the theory that you can have that much of an effect on different segments of a muscle. A friend of mine told me that I need more depth or thickness from front to back on my legs so I've been to think of ways to improve in this area. Close stance hack squats maybe?
      Yeah, like you mentioned, I'm a bit skeptical about being able to significantly change the look/shape of a muscle group. I'm sure there are exercises that affect a certain head of your quads more than others. BUT, what I always wonder is, if I've already been training for X number of years and now all of a sudden I do something like close stance hack squats, how long will it take to change the shape of my quads and give them better sweep? a year, two years,.....TEN!

Here's my take on it. Just do what it takes to make your legs bigger. Your general shape is probably already pre-determined; especially after so many years of training. Now if it were bringing up a lagging part, that might be different.

Go ahead and try the close stance hack squats. If they feel good keep doing them, if not, forget them.
      Jeff Rodriguez
      www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Fitzchivalry View Post
        Odd question for you (on fashion), what's the overall size difference in terms of clothing (fit, etc.) between your heavier weight and lighter weight? The reason I ask is because I may try and get up to 195ish or so lbs, but I doubt that I'll be happy with my bf at that range so I'll have to remove the excess fat a bit. It makes picking out clothes somewhat difficult with this in mind.
        Do you have separate clothing attire for both or is there really not too much of a noticeable difference of say between your 205 and your not quite contest lean ranges?

I can wear the same clothes on the day of a show or 50 weeks out. Only difference is I fill out my clothes a bit more 50 weeks out (there is not a whole size of difference between the two). Also, I can wear my belt about a notch tighter (maybe 2) when I'm close to contest shape.

As for your comment: " I may try and get up to 195ish or so lbs, but I doubt that I'll be happy with my bf "

Then why would you try to get up to 195 if you're going to do it by adding a significant amount of fat? Why not get to 190, or 185 ( or whatever), but by adding muscle and minimal bodyfat? If it is simply to step on the scale and see "195" then thats a whole different game; but, if its for bodybuilding purposes then

185 @ 10% bf = 200 @ 17% bf, in terms of muscle mass, because its the same amount of muscle in both cases (about 166 lbs!). BUT, 185 @ 10%bf looks MUCH better than 200 @ 17% bf. Then again, this is just my take on it.
        Jeff Rodriguez
        www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• I got my back worked filmed this past Monday. Now Im just in the process of editing it. I should have it up by friday or Saturday.

Just to warn you guys, though, filming was not allowed at the gym I trained at, so my friend had to hold the camera at his side as though he wasn't filming. When we got home we realized that a few of the sets were not filmed great. You'll see what i mean ...
          Jeff Rodriguez
          www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
            As for your comment: " I may try and get up to 195ish or so lbs, but I doubt that I'll be happy with my bf "

Then why would you try to get up to 195 if you're going to do it by adding a significant amount of fat? Why not get to 190, or 185 ( or whatever), but by adding muscle and minimal bodyfat? If it is simply to step on the scale and see "195" then thats a whole different game; but, if its for bodybuilding purposes then

185 @ 10% bf = 200 @ 17% bf, in terms of muscle mass, because its the same amount of muscle in both cases (about 166 lbs!). BUT, 185 @ 10%bf looks MUCH better than 200 @ 17% bf. Then again, this is just my take on it.
            Oh, no I def. agree. I've done the excessive bulking before due to bad advice and found it useless/counterproductive and am now taking it slower this time around.
            That is my goal actually to be around 185 at 8-10%. I think we are on the same page, just a slight misunderstanding in the interpretation. I am at 180 right now. I'm assuming that at 195 I would be a bit higher than that. You are saying take it even slower, etc. and there is no need to even get up that high in the first place if all you are going to do is cut it off, correct (which obviously makes sense)?
            I've been doing a sort of 6 week bulk, 3 week cut, etc. trying to get very solid in the 175-180 range.

Comment

• Jeff, your in the trenches was the most informationally dense one MD has ever posted, in terms of explaining exactly why you do what you do and regarding alternative interpretations and so forth. Could you PLEASE coerce Dave into posting your post team U "in the trenches" LOL? I think you mentioned a while back that the voice over had already been done.

Comment

Yeah, like you mentioned, I'm a bit skeptical about being able to significantly change the look/shape of a muscle group. I'm sure there are exercises that affect a certain head of your quads more than others. BUT, what I always wonder is, if I've already been training for X number of years and now all of a sudden I do something like close stance hack squats, how long will it take to change the shape of my quads and give them better sweep? a year, two years,.....TEN!

Here's my take on it. Just do what it takes to make your legs bigger. Your general shape is probably already pre-determined; especially after so many years of training. Now if it were bringing up a lagging part, that might be different.

Go ahead and try the close stance hack squats. If they feel good keep doing them, if not, forget them.
                Thanks Jeff, sometimes its just good to have someone confirm what I was already thinking! You and I are on the same page when it comes to working out.

Can't wait to see you new video! I was showing your pictures to a young friend who I'm helping prepare for his first contest. I said now this is what you're shooting for!

Comment

Totally agree with you there^^^
                  https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

• How do you perform a dumbbell reverse crunch??

Comment

• Hi, when is the new vid coming out? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlito99 View Post
                        How do you perform a dumbbell reverse crunch??
                        I do them kind of like this: http://www.flat-stomach-exercises.in...se-crunch.html

Except i do them on an inclined bench (the ones used for abs) and have a dumbbell between my feet.
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by cjack291089 View Post
                          Hi, when is the new vid coming out? Thanks!
                          Tonight! I finished editing it, I'm just waiting for it to finish uploading on youtube.
                          Jeff Rodriguez
                          www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

Tonight! I finished editing it, I'm just waiting for it to finish uploading on youtube.

Comment

• hahaha you beat me to it. (thanks). Yeah, its up.
                              Jeff Rodriguez
                              www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Jrod, great video man. I am especially impressed with your control and tempo of your negatives. just watching it , it looks like you are taking advantage of the stretch and squeeze of your negatives to help you gain strength/size just as much as the positive motion.

Comment

Working...
                                X