Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carlito99 View Post
    I saw in your blog that for one of your old training cycles... You would have "A" and "B" workouts for some body parts where you would alternate the workouts every week. What did you think about that type of Max-OT split?

Pros/Cons of it compared to just doing the same exercises every week?
    I like it.

Now a days what I've been doing is, I'll come up with an original plan, but if I train at a gym that doesn't have a specific machine I'm scheduled to use (I don't always train at the same gym) , or if something doesn't feel good about a particular exercise, I'll exchange it for something else that is available/comfortable that day. This keeps me doing different things and I've really liked it.

For example, on my last back day, I was supposed to do barbell rows then pull downs then.....
    however, my lower back was still sore from doing squats a few days before so instead I started with pull downs and added hammer strength machine rows at the end (this didn't involve my lower back).
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Merry Christmas Jeff.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
        I like it.

Now a days what I've been doing is, I'll come up with an original plan, but if I train at a gym that doesn't have a specific machine I'm scheduled to use (I don't always train at the same gym) , or if something doesn't feel good about a particular exercise, I'll exchange it for something else that is available/comfortable that day. This keeps me doing different things and I've really liked it.

For example, on my last back day, I was supposed to do barbell rows then pull downs then.....
        however, my lower back was still sore from doing squats a few days before so instead I started with pull downs and added hammer strength machine rows at the end (this didn't involve my lower back).
        That sounds like a good way to do it as well!

I'm thinking I may try the "A" "B" workout method for a while... I'm one of those people that need a set plan in front of me, so that might be a good way for me to get some variety

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
          When I eat shakes, I eat them for convenience, so I usually don't make a big deal with them: just drink the whey with water and swallow some oatmeal with it or a banana.

However, here's a shake I've put together before that I liked: Izolyze+banana+equal (or whatever sweetener you like)+peanut butter/almond butter+ice cubes. All of this in a blender with either milk or water (I like milk).

Shakes are helpful when trying to eat often. For example, alternating between food and shakes for meals.
          Thanks for your recommendation. It sounds like it would taste great.

Comment

• Originally posted by pn View Post
            Merry Christmas Jeff.
            Thanks, pn. Merry Christmas to you and everyone else!!!
            Jeff Rodriguez
            www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• How about creatine monohydrate?

Greetings, JRod. You mentioned Shakes are helpful when trying to eat often. For example, alternating between food and shakes for meals.
              --I can see that alternating between food and shakes would also be also convienient.

Now for creatine monohydrate. I read in your other thread that creatine causes some water retention in the muscles, so when you are in your cutting phase for a contest, do you continue or stop creatine use?

Comment

• Originally posted by 46jake View Post
                Greetings, JRod. You mentioned Shakes are helpful when trying to eat often. For example, alternating between food and shakes for meals.
                --I can see that alternating between food and shakes would also be also convienient.

Now for creatine monohydrate. I read in your other thread that creatine causes some water retention in the muscles, so when you are in your cutting phase for a contest, do you continue or stop creatine use?
                ...water retention in muscles is good
                Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• hey jeff a local here, my dad works at EH&S on campus at UCD, what gym did you train at in davis? also how many sets per head of the deltoid would you recomend>? for instance,
                  front delts 3 sets front raises
                  medial delts 4 sets lateral raises
                  rear delts 4 sets bent lateral or pec fly machine????
                  is that over kill?
                  adn same question for hams and quads
                  New-Man Nutrition
                  Live Free, Train Hard

Comment

• How come you don't have forearms in your current split?

Comment

• Are you still planning on showing some of your offseason conditioning?

Comment

• Originally posted by 46jake View Post

Like Quelly said, thats a good thing. I continue taking creatine all the way up until the show. In fact, I took 5g creatine on the day of the show.
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bighit17wolves View Post
                          hey jeff a local here, my dad works at EH&S on campus at UCD, what gym did you train at in davis? also how many sets per head of the deltoid would you recomend>? for instance,
                          front delts 3 sets front raises
                          medial delts 4 sets lateral raises
                          rear delts 4 sets bent lateral or pec fly machine????
                          is that over kill?
                          adn same question for hams and quads
                          At Davis I trained at the ARC.

For shoulders I do 5-6 total sets. I do usually 2-4 sets of presses and 2-4 sets of side laterals. For example, I could do 3 sets of presses and 3 sets of side laterals. I've never done front raises and don't train rear delts directly, as I think rear delts get a lot of work doing rows on back day; but, if I decided to train rear delts, I thinki I'd have to do them with back.

For quads I usually do 6-7 sets, and for hams I usually 5-6 sets.
                          Jeff Rodriguez
                          www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlito99 View Post
                            How come you don't have forearms in your current split?
                            Good catch. I do, I just forgot to write them in. Here it is corrected:
                            http://jrod123.blogspot.com/2008/12/...ing-split.html

I've been training forearms with Hamstrings and Calves.
                            Jeff Rodriguez
                            www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jj2006
                              Happy holidays Jeff!!
                              Thanks, JJ, you too!
                              Jeff Rodriguez
                              www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Fitzchivalry View Post
                                Are you still planning on showing some of your offseason conditioning?
                                Sure. I was planning on getting video footage (sometime when I film Chest and Triceps), but if that turns out to take too long before I have it filmed, I'll put up pictures instead.
                                Jeff Rodriguez
                                www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

Working...
                                X