Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by daniel121 View Post
    Sex as a form of cardio sounds great! Meet you at 24 hour on Van Ness around 3?
    Its 3pm right now. Where are you?
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
      Knowing only what you've written above, I can't just say YES or NO. I think a good strategy would be to give it a try and modify it to fit you personally (for example, I use most of the principles of Max-ot, but don't train EXACTLY, 100% max-ot). I don't use the traditional 5 days a week of training schedule. I train 2 days on, 1 day off (or more if needed). I think it would be best if you chose a starting point, using the max-ot principles, then, through trial and error, made it fit you best. This might mean training 5 days a week, or it might mean training 3 days a week--but you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

I would say start with training 2 days on, 1 day off (this works well for me). If you later realize this is a bit much, then train a bit less (EG 2 on 2 off; or 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off). If you start to feel like this is too little, then try 5 days a week. Also, I would suggest you err on the side of a bit too little than a bit too much.

Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate the advice. I think I may try the 2 on 1 off, 2 on 2 off and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Comment

Knowing only what you've written above, I can't just say YES or NO. I think a good strategy would be to give it a try and modify it to fit you personally (for example, I use most of the principles of Max-ot, but don't train EXACTLY, 100% max-ot). I don't use the traditional 5 days a week of training schedule. I train 2 days on, 1 day off (or more if needed). I think it would be best if you chose a starting point, using the max-ot principles, then, through trial and error, made it fit you best. This might mean training 5 days a week, or it might mean training 3 days a week--but you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

I would say start with training 2 days on, 1 day off (this works well for me). If you later realize this is a bit much, then train a bit less (EG 2 on 2 off; or 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off). If you start to feel like this is too little, then try 5 days a week. Also, I would suggest you err on the side of a bit too little than a bit too much.
        I can attest to this. I also used to train the standard 5 days a week and it started out well but over the long haul began to wear on me a bit so I switched to the 2 on 1 off schedule and it def allows me to give 100% each time now. Though sometimes if I feel really good however I still will do it 5 times a week (something like 2 on 1 off and 3 on 1 off).

Comment

• Hi Jeff,

How long do you stick with your first (staple) excercise of each muscle group? If you hit the same numbers as the previous week do you switch that excercise or do you give yourself another week or two to try and surpass those numbers? Thanks Jeff!

Comment

• Originally posted by rxj22 View Post
            Hi Jeff,

How long do you stick with your first (staple) excercise of each muscle group? If you hit the same numbers as the previous week do you switch that excercise or do you give yourself another week or two to try and surpass those numbers? Thanks Jeff!
            I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. I'll answer what I think you're asking, but let me know if this is not it...

Lets use quads as an example; squats would be my staple exercise. I would squat EVERY week if I could take it (physically). Even if on week1 I got 6 reps with 300lbs. then on week2 I got 5 reps with 300lbs., I would still LOVE to squat on week3. But its usually minor aches and pains that make me have to ease up/avoid squats for a week every so often.

Sometimes I have to either NOT squat or lighten up a bit (this is something I decide based on feeling), because I can't handle the abuse (something might need rest--knee, lower back, etc.). So I squat as often as I think is productive, as often as it doesn't hurt.
            Jeff Rodriguez
            www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. I'll answer what I think you're asking, but let me know if this is not it...

Lets use quads as an example; squats would be my staple exercise. I would squat EVERY week if I could take it (physically). Even if on week1 I got 6 reps with 300lbs. then on week2 I got 5 reps with 300lbs., I would still LOVE to squat on week3. But its usually minor aches and pains that make me have to ease up/avoid squats for a week every so often.

Sometimes I have to either NOT squat or lighten up a bit (this is something I decide based on feeling), because I can't handle the abuse (something might need rest--knee, lower back, etc.). So I squat as often as I think is productive, as often as it doesn't hurt.
              Let me rephrase my question, using quads as an example: Do you always use the squat as the first exercise of your routine (as long as you are not injured or need more rest)? Or do you cycle your exercise order in order to break plateaus, kinda like this:

Weeks 1-5:
              1st exercise: squat
              2nd exercise: front squat
              3rd exercise: leg press

On week 5 your squat has plateaud, do you continue to squat at the beginning of your routine or do you switch up your exercise order to break the plateau like this:

Weeks 6-10
              1st exercise: leg press
              3rd exercise: squat

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Originally posted by rxj22 View Post
                Let me rephrase my question, using quads as an example: Do you always use the squat as the first exercise of your routine (as long as you are not injured or need more rest)? Or do you cycle your exercise order in order to break plateaus, kinda like this:

Weeks 1-5:
                1st exercise: squat
                3rd exercise: leg press

On week 5 your squat has plateaud, do you continue to squat at the beginning of your routine or do you switch up your exercise order to break the plateau like this:

Weeks 6-10
                1st exercise: leg press
                3rd exercise: squat

Thanks for your help!

Ok, that makes sense. In that case, I think either way would be fine because all those are really good quad exercises. However, I tend to stick to just keeping squats first because I like them best (even if I plateau).

One thing I've noticed is that if I time it properly and take a week in between to back off a bit for that specific bodypart (IE don't train to 100% failure and use less weight), then the following week I'm much stronger than I was originally. You can give this a try too.
                Jeff Rodriguez
                www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Jeff, I just wanted to say that your knowledge of training and exercise application is way beyond your years! I'm always picking up useful tips from this thread!

I just had a discussion with some like minded guys at the gym about taking more rest days between workouts to facilitate recovery. Keep it coming!

Comment

• Jeff, what part of the bay area you in? I'm possibly coming up to the bat area for a photo shoot this week sometime maybe we can get in a workout
                    kiyoshimoody.com
                    *TEAM GENR8* genr8speed.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mrky03 View Post
                      Jeff, I just wanted to say that your knowledge of training and exercise application is way beyond your years! I'm always picking up useful tips from this thread!

I just had a discussion with some like minded guys at the gym about taking more rest days between workouts to facilitate recovery. Keep it coming!
                      No problem, Mr.KY, and thanks!
                      Jeff Rodriguez
                      www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiyoshi Moody View Post
                        Jeff, what part of the bay area you in? I'm possibly coming up to the bat area for a photo shoot this week sometime maybe we can get in a workout
                        I live in Alameda. Its right by San Francisco and Oakland. Yeah lets get a workout in, just let me know where you'll be and when. I'll email you my number.
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Hey Jrod,
                          Curious if you have ever had bloodwork done just to see your results. Recently, **** ******* listed, as one of the genetic gifts that some of the top bodybuilders are blessed with, abnormally naturally high testosterone. I think itd be interesting ot see where your levels naturally lie both in season and off, especially during contest prep when you take in minimal fat. I would bet my money you would have naturally high levels. Ever thought of getting it done? Im sure your health plan could cover it

Comment

I like this advice. It seems as though I find 3 days a week to work much better then 5 days in a row. I'm going to start experimenting with 2 on 1 off though, thanks for this jeff - just what I needed to hear!

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryjuice View Post
                              Hey Jrod,
                              Curious if you have ever had bloodwork done just to see your results. Recently, **** ******* listed, as one of the genetic gifts that some of the top bodybuilders are blessed with, abnormally naturally high testosterone. I think itd be interesting ot see where your levels naturally lie both in season and off, especially during contest prep when you take in minimal fat. I would bet my money you would have naturally high levels. Ever thought of getting it done? Im sure your health plan could cover it
                              Hey Jerry. No, I've never had bloodwork done. Yeah, it would be interesting to see the difference between pre-contest (at 4 weeks out) and offseason, as you mentioned. I don't have health insurance right now, but I'll consider this when I do.
                              Jeff Rodriguez
                              www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

Hey Jerry. No, I've never had bloodwork done. Yeah, it would be interesting to see the difference between pre-contest (at 4 weeks out) and offseason, as you mentioned. I don't have health insurance right now, but I'll consider this when I do.
                                They don't give you insurance at that corp?
                                Assistant to the regional manager.
                                Iron8 approved

Comment

Working...
                                X