Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Jeff Rodriguez Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Apex23 View Post
    JROD-

I was wondering if you ever had a chance to listen to The NO Bull Radio show with Dr Scott Connelly?

He made a claim that Glutamine can actually make you fat. This is the first time I have ever heard such a thing.

Have you ever heard this? I always thought of it as a glucose diposal agent.
    I didnt listen to that episode, but I have heard that somewhere before (I can't remember where). Maybe it was from someone else mentioning this episode.???

Yeah, I have always thought of it similarly to what you mentinoed.

Like anything else, I suppose too much of it could be excess calories which could equal body fat. But I doubt you'll get too many calories supplementing with it reasonably/normally (assuming you don't eat 1000 grams/day).

I can tell you this. I tried an experiment this last contest prep. I made sure to have 30-40g of glutamine per day, everyday throughout the prep. I have no idea if it did anything or not (because nothing significant happened), but I can say that I didnt have a harder time getting in shape.

Will I take extra glutamine everyday again next time around? Probably not, and simply because I didnt notice a significant difference from not taking it (not because I'm worried about getting fat from it). Though I would take it around (pre/post) my workout.
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Thanks bud

Comment

• Jeff,

Do you think that the other types of training are equal to Max-OT? I know it varies from individual to individual. Like I know that my body can't do more than 3 months of the heavy weight with low reps without a break. Along with that I have noticed on the Max-OT my arms especially dont equal out with gaining size. So, like I stated do you think the other types of training are as equal? I do go in the range of 15,12,10,8 and 6 reps for the first exercise. Then the rest are usually in the 8-10 rep range.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffdaddy View Post
          Jeff,

Do you think that the other types of training are equal to Max-OT? I know it varies from individual to individual. Like I know that my body can't do more than 3 months of the heavy weight with low reps without a break. Along with that I have noticed on the Max-OT my arms especially dont equal out with gaining size. So, like I stated do you think the other types of training are as equal? I do go in the range of 15,12,10,8 and 6 reps for the first exercise. Then the rest are usually in the 8-10 rep range.
          If I thought a different method of training was BETTER than what I do, then I would do the better one. If I thought two methods were equal, I would probably choose the more efficient one.

As you mentioned, it varies from individual to individual. Maybe in your case Max-OT is not the best way to train, for whatever reason (and you'll only find this out through trial and error). Maybe Max OT and another type of training are equal for you (then just choose the one you like better/more efficient/more fun/fits your schedule better). Either way, I can't tell you what is best for YOU (I'd be guessing), you'll have to figure this out on your own by trying different things. Though I can suggest things and tell you what I prefer and has worked for me.

As for your comment about your arms not growing as much, it could be that maybe this method of training does not work well for your arms, OR maybe they are just more stubborn (genetics) than other parts (for some its calves, for some legs, etc...), OR maybe they are growing but you're just particularly critical of that body part.
          Jeff Rodriguez
          www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
            I don't remember how much I weighed for THAT show, but the following saturday I did the NPC Contra Costa and weighed in at 173 lbs. I didnt know I would do this next show till about wed or thursday (it was on saturday) so I had stopped dieting since after the previous show. So I weighed 173 after 3 weeks of dieting plus 1 week of no dieting. Haha.

(If I had to guess I'd say probably weighed about the same for the first show, though.)
            Do you remember what your lifts were like in comparison to what they are now?

Comment

• Thanks Jeff. I might be a little particular on my perception of my body. Of course I think that is because I am never satisfied! I thought I read somewhere that you were doing a little different style of training with your reps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fitzchivalry View Post
                Do you remember what your lifts were like in comparison to what they are now?
                I REALLY can't remember. (I'll dig up some of my old training journals, give me a few days and I'll get back to this).

I can say this about it, though. I got so weak in those 3 weeks of dieting. In fact at 10 weeks into my last diet (2008 TU), I was MUCH stronger than I was 2 weeks into that diet. For some reason, I've noticed, it gets easier and easier to hold onto size/strength each year.

Also, this last training cycle was a really good one for me as I set a lot of personal records; so this is the strongest I've ever been.
                Jeff Rodriguez
                www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffdaddy View Post
                  Thanks Jeff. I might be a little particular on my perception of my body. Of course I think that is because I am never satisfied! I thought I read somewhere that you were doing a little different style of training with your reps?

Yeah, I've started backing off a bit more than I have in the past. Instead of training 100% all out heavy (4-6 reps) EVERY single week, I'll take a day (when I feel necessary) and back off a bit and train with a bit lighter weight or skip a certain compound exercise.
                  Jeff Rodriguez
                  www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Update to my blog:

http://jrod123.blogspot.com

I listed my new training split and started taking beta alanine.
                    Jeff Rodriguez
                    www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Really like the looks of your new training protocol, Jeff. How much weight/bf gain is typical for you in order to reach YOUR own personal bodyfat setpoint during the off-season?

Comment

• Originally posted by semper27 View Post
                        Really like the looks of your new training protocol, Jeff. How much weight/bf gain is typical for you in order to reach YOUR own personal bodyfat setpoint during the off-season?
                        Its been a long time sinve I've used calipers to measure bodyfat; I just go by the mirror. Right now the mirror reads: "good offseason bf level"

As for weight, it goes up a little bit each year: probably about 3-5 pounds. It fluctuates up and down throughout the day (water, food) but its usually between 205-208.
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
                          Its been a long time sinve I've used calipers to measure bodyfat; I just go by the mirror. Right now the mirror reads: "good offseason bf level"

As for weight, it goes up a little bit each year: probably about 3-5 pounds. It fluctuates up and down throughout the day (water, food) but its usually between 205-208.
                          lol I follow! I've gone up 6-8 lbs from morning to night with H20 and certain foods. Normally 6-8 down by morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlito99 View Post
                            What kind of shoes do you wear to squat in?
                            Let me follow up with a more important question: What kind of shoes do you wear on chest day? I heard Jay Cutler say he prefers these http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.co...ebut-in-paris/
                            What's your opinion?

Comment

• How do you like using beta alanine? What is the reason for adding this?

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel121 View Post
                                Let me follow up with a more important question: What kind of shoes do you wear on chest day? I heard Jay Cutler say he prefers these http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.co...ebut-in-paris/
                                What's your opinion?
                                Actually I've been waiting for you to ask me this; glad you finally did.

Jay's cool, but we have different styles. I prefer the more functional and supportive features of boots, kind of like these: http://www.livegeist.com/live/benchbum/bumonbench2.jpg
                                Jeff Rodriguez
                                www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

Working...
                                X