Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

the "vaccum" look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the "vaccum" look

hello all, I recently competed in two shows, the Ronnie coleman Classic, and the Texas Shredder classic. I was curious as to what I could do to bring up my midsection to have that vacuum look when doing a front double bicep or any other front pose. I attached a pic, but as you can see, my core is not really developed i suppose (as well as my calves and chest...I know). But I was wondering if Deadlifts, and heavy squats would help?

Im in the middle of the pics, and yes I know I got blown out. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files

Your midsection looks amazing. The way bodybuilding is going now, YOU WANT A SMALL WAIST(well small waist has always been good). Look at Denis Wolf, his mid section is extremely tiny and look how it makes his whole body just look ridiculous(HUGE). You DON'T want to get your gut to look bloated, not a good look and will probably hurt you(think most people will back me up with this comment). All you should do is work to get muscular separation within your abdominals and obliques. To do that you, just need to put more miles on it(more reps). BTW, great pics you look great at that competition, if you had more mass on your legs and upper body the rest of the competition would look like dodo compared to you, mostly b/c your taller and your midsection IS SMALL.

O and I might add, doing heavy squats and deads to get your mid up will only make your obliques work to stabilize that heavy weight and make your obliques bigger, THATS THE LAST THING YOU WANT. To see what im talking about listen to Dexter Jackson "In the Trenches: Back Training"

Comment

Thanks man, appreciate your insight and comments. I suppose I just need more time with the iron....Oh, and i meant Vacuum look not Vaccum lol

Comment

Np, I don't mean to say don't get bigger abdominals. Getting more noticeable abs might mean bringing up ur ad size. BUT DON'T GET YOUR OBLIQUES BIGGER. DO NOT DO THAT, keep that small. But like i said before I just think YOU need more definition. Hopefully more people will bring input and you can make a educated decision.

Comment

Yea i picked that up today even lol trying to bring my own waste down

Comment

Yea i dont want to get my obliques bigger, I just want bigger blocks for abs...I think the "more definition" would need to come from making them bigger, becuase I was the most conditioned competitor in my two classes. I'll look up how to do vacuums, and start some heavier ab work i suppose. Thanks!@
            Attached Files
            Last edited by IRONSTUDENT; April 29, 2008, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ufman24 View Post
              Your midsection looks amazing. The way bodybuilding is going now, YOU WANT A SMALL WAIST(well small waist has always been good). Look at Denis Wolf, his mid section is extremely tiny and look how it makes his whole body just look ridiculous(HUGE). You DON'T want to get your gut to look bloated, not a good look and will probably hurt you(think most people will back me up with this comment). All you should do is work to get muscular separation within your abdominals and obliques. To do that you, just need to put more miles on it(more reps). BTW, great pics you look great at that competition, if you had more mass on your legs and upper body the rest of the competition would look like dodo compared to you, mostly b/c your taller and your midsection IS SMALL.

O and I might add, doing heavy squats and deads to get your mid up will only make your obliques work to stabilize that heavy weight and make your obliques bigger, THATS THE LAST THING YOU WANT. To see what im talking about listen to Dexter Jackson "In the Trenches: Back Training"
              1) How tiny your waist ends up being is genetic for the most part. There are many bodybuilders who have thick waists no matter how lean they are and how small their obliques are. For instance, I squat and deadlift really heavy without a belt, even all the way through contest prep, and have thick obliques. My waist was still 27" when I was at my last show. People who say heavy squats and deadlifts increase your waist size are just looking for an excuse not to deadlift and squat heavy.

2) Bodybuilders get the "bloated" look from all the drugs they are on. Steroids don't just increase the size of your muscles, they increase the size of virtually everything, including internal organs. That's why they look bloated no matter how lean they are.

3) More reps for abs is not how you go about getting a nice midsection for a vacuum at all. You need weight resistance just like every other muscle does. Would you stand in front of a mirror and pick up a 10lb DB and do 50+ curls? Of course not. So why do that for abs? They need to be trained like every other muscle group with weight resistance. Remember, genetics will determine your waist size when you are lean. Obliques simply can't get that thick without a lot of drugs, they are a small muscle group anyway. Dennis Wolf has outstanding genetics, that's why his waist is tiny. Couple that with drugs and you get that kind of a physique - extremely impressive.

Hope this helps

Sporto
              IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
              Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

Originally posted by ufman24 View Post
                Np, I don't mean to say don't get bigger abdominals. Getting more noticeable abs might mean bringing up ur ad size. BUT DON'T GET YOUR OBLIQUES BIGGER. DO NOT DO THAT, keep that small. But like i said before I just think YOU need more definition. Hopefully more people will bring input and you can make a educated decision.
                Just how big do you think your obliques can actually get naturally? Do you realize how small they really are?

How do you explain the natty pros with 27-28" waists that squat heavy, deadlift heavy, and have thick, shredded obliques?

Don't kid yourself...it's genetics.

Sporto

Comment

Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                  Just how big do you think your obliques can actually get naturally? Do you realize how small they really are?

How do you explain the natty pros with 27-28" waists that squat heavy, deadlift heavy, and have thick, shredded obliques?

Sporto
                  Obliques, like the rest of the abdominal muscles are thin 'sheets'. To get them big you'd really have to work at it.
                  Assistant to the regional manager.
                  Iron8 approved

Comment

Originally posted by Toddbz View Post
                    Obliques, like the rest of the abdominal muscles are thin 'sheets'. To get them big you'd really have to work at it.
                    Precisely my point Weight resistance is the only way to get them to pop! Too many times I see people doing hundreds of reps for abs, then when they diet all the way down, they are disappointed with what they see for how lean they are.

Sporto

Comment

Precisely my point Weight resistance is the only way to get them to pop! Too many times I see people doing hundreds of reps for abs, then when they diet all the way down, they are disappointed with what they see for how lean they are.

Sporto
                      Marathon resistance for marathon results
                      Assistant to the regional manager.
                      Iron8 approved

Comment

1) How tiny your waist ends up being is genetic for the most part. There are many bodybuilders who have thick waists no matter how lean they are and how small their obliques are. For instance, I squat and deadlift really heavy without a belt, even all the way through contest prep, and have thick obliques. My waist was still 27" when I was at my last show. People who say heavy squats and deadlifts increase your waist size are just looking for an excuse not to deadlift and squat heavy.

2) Bodybuilders get the "bloated" look from all the drugs they are on. Steroids don't just increase the size of your muscles, they increase the size of virtually everything, including internal organs. That's why they look bloated no matter how lean they are.

3) More reps for abs is not how you go about getting a nice midsection for a vacuum at all. You need weight resistance just like every other muscle does. Would you stand in front of a mirror and pick up a 10lb DB and do 50+ curls? Of course not. So why do that for abs? They need to be trained like every other muscle group with weight resistance. Remember, genetics will determine your waist size when you are lean. Obliques simply can't get that thick without a lot of drugs, they are a small muscle group anyway. Dennis Wolf has outstanding genetics, that's why his waist is tiny. Couple that with drugs and you get that kind of a physique - extremely impressive.

Hope this helps

Sporto

1) Tell that to Dexter Jackson, but yea, genetics has a tremendous amount to do with it.
                        2) Your right and the word bloated was a bad choice, a better choice would've been blocky
                        3) And I don't know how you could say that when you, as a bodybuilder, should be trying to get everything big but keep your waist down. Shouldn't that mean doing a different style of training b/c the end result you want for abs and the rest of your body ARE DIFFERENT? And why i say put more reps on it is to bring out muscle separation and rep (and genetics) is the only way to do so.

Sporto you make good points.

Comment

Sporto
                          It doesn't neglect the point that YOU CAN MAKE THEM BIGGER, and you don't want to. Genetics, dah, play a HUGE part with everything bodybuilding, but you still need to watch out.

Comment

You're just not going to add much if anything size-wise to your waist by working abs and obliques, and let's not forget that working the obliques usually involves working the serratus as well, which helps make a more dramatic v-taper. I've had much better results with weighted resistance for my abs and building up my obliques than I did when i used to do 1000 crunches a night. And frankly I'll take an extra half inch on my waist to be able to clean my abs and obliques with a q-tip.
                            I min/max my physique

Comment

Agreed, I have a pretty small waist and I only do cable crunches and weighted leg raises for the most part in my ab workouts. I always figured build up the ab wall as much as possible and diet off all the fat. The rest is left up to genetics.

Comment

Working...
                              X