Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Steve Reeves and Reg Park views on Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Reeves and Reg Park views on Steroids

Interesting quotes from two of the all time greats who are sadly no longer with us, but still inspire many of us today.

Steve Reeves - Mr America 1947 - Mr World 1948 -Mr Universe 1950

“Today, everything about the top bodybuilding champions is oversized; they have lost the whole purpose of bodybuilding which is to create a harmonious whole, not to exaggerate the development of one part or parts, of the body. A body has hands, legs, feet, arms and a head. If a man’s arms appear bigger than his head, his body is thrown out of proportion.”

“Today’s bodybuilders are carrying too much muscle for their frames, which distorts and obscures the natural lines of the body. Why these men would aspire to deform themselves at such tremendous sacrifice is incomprehensible. This has been indulged in to such an extreme that I’m thinking of sanctioning a special Steve Reeves Trophy to be presented at shows to the man whom I think has the most classical proportionate, tastefully developed physique. The man who doesn’t actually win the contest might win my trophy, which in the long run might be more prestigious.”

“I don’t believe in bodybuilders using steroids. If a man doesn’t have enough male hormones in his system to create, a nice hard, muscular body, he should take up ping pong.”

Reg Park Britain’s finest - Mr Britain 1949 - Mr Universe 1951, 1958, 1965

Question: If you were starting over again, would you make any changes?

Reg Park I would aim to be number one and even with today's physiques, I know that I could beat them all without drugs.

Question: What is your opinion of the current trend of drug taking, especially in bodybuilding?

Reg Park I think that those who sell drugs to young bodybuilders, especially female bodybuilders should be jailed for life and the key should be thrown away. Youngsters who are taking drugs are advised to stop at once. The full effects are not known, but those that are, and the deaths that have resulted should say enough. It is not only the quality of the mind and body at age twenty that you should consider, but also how you'll function at seventy-five. I feel very sorry for the present generation of bodybuilders today because the athleticism is secondary, nutrition is tertiary and chemistry is everything.

Great quotes... thanks. Any idea when they said these though?
    NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Ping Pong- lmoa.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge Steve Reeves made those comments in the late 70s and Reg Park a few years ago in questions and answers on his web site forum. About half way down this page.
        http://regpark.net/bb/index.php?PHPSESSID=d288252aa268457aba93d5f027bf49 3e&topic=100.0
        When you consider Reg Park took on Arnold when he was 42 at the 1970 Universe and lost by (I believe ˝ a point ) The man really was incredible.

He guest posed at the 1980 Olympia apparently he was awesome . Ive searched for a film clip or pictures of this but cant find any Its sad that there are so few clips or Photographs of events like this. Perhaps if anyone has any they could post them.

Comment

I would much rather watch a natty show because all the different physiques. When you get into the heaver weight classes of un-tested shows (mostly heavy and super heavy), all the physiques look the same to me.
          http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/sjschumaker/

Comment

the ping pong comment is classic.
            don't do school, drink your drugs, stay in milk and treat yo momma right !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr X View Post
              the ping pong comment is classic.
              Heres another one from that topic -
              http://regpark.net/bb/index.php?PHPSESSID=d288252aa268457aba93d5f027bf49 3e&topic=100.0
              It was from an interview from Musclemag in 1976

Question - What are your thoughts on anabolic steroids?

Reg Park - "I compare the guys who take them with fellows who rob banks!"

Comment

dont be fooled by these comments ... reg and the ol boys were all on the gear.. jus ask some old timers here in the uk.. some took more some less..
                arnie used to down d'bols like skittles... lol before training...
                god bless

Comment

Reg Park: Muscle hero who shunned steroids
                  http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Insight/Article.aspx?id=632962
                  Read through Reg Parks forum It contains quotes from people who knew him for years and ive yet to read of anyone ever hinting at him using that crap.
                  Why would he not just keep quite about it like all the others If what you said was true he was the greatest hypocrite that ever lived. I think someone would have shopped him or Reeves by now especially as they were speaking out against others.
                  The very fact that Park trained heavy into his late 70s and stayed in great shape when drug abusers had all sorts of health problems and many were dieing young speaks for itself.
                  Of course many did use and everyone knows Arnold did. Will Yates , Coleman and Cutler be training in their 70s ? Id say they will be lucky to be alive when they are 60 years old.
                  Just look at the picture of the guys in white tee shirts near the bottom of this page Dorian Yates is the guy in front of the punch bag, Hero to Zero.

Comment

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but Reg Park used steroids and Steve Reeves was a fan of D-bol. That being said I don't think he started using d-bol when he won his first bodybuilding competitions so yes he was natural then.
                    http://www.facebook.com/DannyManslaughter

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Manslaughter View Post
                      I hate to burst anyone's bubble but Reg Park used steroids and Steve Reeves was a fan of D-bol. That being said I don't think he started using d-bol when he won his first bodybuilding competitions so yes he was natural then.
                      I agree that Reg used later in his career.....but Steve did not use when he was competing, Dbol was not even around in the 40's. He might have used after he retired in 1950 but who cares about that.

Anything post 1954 is suspect.

Comment

That's BS, there was no D-bol around when Reeves was bodybuilding....He was natural, just worked very hard to get what he had......no drugs needed for that type body....

Originally posted by Danny Manslaughter View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Gorf View Post
                          That's BS, there was no D-bol around when Reeves was bodybuilding....He was natural, just worked very hard to get what he had......no drugs needed for that type body....
                          I'm talking post competing days. I've just heard many times he introduced Larry Scott to dianabol. I agree that his physique is naturally attainable and i have the highest amount of respect for him. But Reg Park I have no doubt used
                          http://www.facebook.com/DannyManslaughter

Comment

nigelnire son , u look young but please dont believe what "they" say..
                            i know for a fact ...cause my granddad trained with reg in S.A ..
                            reg could not get over 98kg naturally.. he did wot it took.. so would i..
                            but in the real world drugs are a major factor... not as " flex " magazine says.. the rest is you're choice..

and dorian is perfectly fine... a great champion.

god bless

Comment

and for all you or i know yates and ronnie might outlive most of us..

its all part of the game.. choice your poison..
                              god bless

Comment

Working...
                              X