Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Steve Reeves and Reg Park views on Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KirkMcquest View Post
    According to most here, the only way to have a great body is through drugs or some rare genetic predisposition. I disagree with both assertions. Genetics are over-rated and drugs are not necessary, nor are they as prevalent as most 'juice-heads' would have you believe.

These are largely excuses/cop-outs for people who do not have the mental endurance and determination to work hard and consistently over the long run. Every guy I've ever known who worked out hard and consistently ended up with a great muscular body...eventually. As a teenager I was short, fat and weak. I started training and kept at it for years until I developed a terrific physique that was envied. If I would have listened to all this 'genetic predetermined BS' I would have given up, believing that I could not possibly achieve my goal with out drugs or dumb luck.
    Yes, some of my friends developed faster or slower etc.. But the guys who stuck to it in the long run made the biggest gains...period. Believing that genetic luck is necessary to build your body is pure bunk. As someone once told me ' the harder you work, the luckier you get'. Some of you would do well to keep that in mind.
    hate to stereotype...but we see that pervasive mindset on these MD forums becaue we have a board populated heavily by a lot of NPC and IFBB competitors and their fans who see drugs as an integral part of bodybuilding...training + diet + consistency + effort + drugs=physique...its difficult for many of them to imagine impressive physiques without drugs being in the equation
    Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

I love the ping pong quote haha! couldn't have said it better myself!
      Speed Kills, Strength Punishes

Comment

Steeve Reeves and Reg Park; Amazing physiques!! I love those builds, just straight rock!

Comment

The thread went from the idea of 2 great champions who may or may not have used gear into what seems to be a debate about who and what camp is more legit. The way I view it is that looking at either side- the natural side and the side that use "gear" and you have amazing athletes and bodies all over. The key is that they are playing different games. It's like saying someone like Jordan wasn't a great athlete because he couldn't make it as a baseball player. Bodybuilding is a sport played on two different playing fields with two clearly different set of guidelines (that being using or not) but even as someone who is natural I have amazing amounts of repsect for someone who is in the trenches lifting the weights that I do using or not. As well I thought one of the comments Valentino made in his column a while back about all the (super supplements) that we can buy today the Natural idea is a little grey. At the end of the day we are a community kept together by what we have in common

Comment

^^well put.
            aka MUSCULARMAYOR

Comment

Originally posted by striven4gr8ness View Post
              ^^well put.
              x2!!

Comment

These guys trained heavy back in the day, i saw an old vid online one night of reeves pause benching 500, flat backed, and he had the bar handed to him from the floor! if my memory serves right. I also read those guys used to do cheat curls and heavy overhead presses. Do a deep squat with 600, get a 500 bench and do a 300lb frenchpress and you would have a human bulldozer with the same basic size as these old school bodybuilding idols had. I believe the key to size is strength, something some present day bodybuilders have lost sight of.

Comment

Working...
                X