Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Being to stubborn with bodybuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being to stubborn with bodybuilding?

Ok so I need an outside opinion here from you guys. I live in an apartment with 3 other college undergraduates this summer. All about 21 years old. I myslelf am 23, almost 24. I am also a MS student taking 1 summer course. I get along very well with these 3 and we do things together from time to time during the day but one issue bugs me in that it seems I might be getting annoying, it might just be me but I dont know. Now they all work but mostly weekends and evenings. They ask me to go out almost 4 or 5 times a week given the bars that are just 6 blocks down the road from our place. I pass every single time since I dont drink much at all and the fact that when the drink its the heavy 1am drinking kinda thing. I do have the honest excuse of work at 730am MWF and then I train at 8 on T and Th mornings. I also work at 5 till 9 on T and W so I tend to have to pass on dinner plans on those nights when ever those arise. Its almost like I feel I am trying to avoid going out with them. But as a training bodybuilder I cant be getting in at 12am or later, drinking 4+ nights a week, eating out for pizza just as often and trying to go to work and or train th next morning, plain and simple. Going to bed at 11:30pm seems to almost bother them at times when their just heading out for the bar scene.

Is it just a maturity difference in age, a mentality shift in college experience or just a lifestyle clash that I am really overanalyzing? Anyone else have somthing like this?

As a note, I wont be living here past the end of August either when my contract expires.
    MS - Human Sport Performance
    NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Is it just a maturity difference in age, a mentality shift in college experience or just a lifestyle clash that I am really overanalyzing? Anyone else have somthing like this?
    Put it simply you bodybuild they dont.

It all depends on what how dedicated you are to bodybuilding. A few beers isnt goning to kill you but if you dont want to drink then just dont. There are plenty of people who dont bodybuild, dont drink and go to bed early. What worse is when your on a keto diet and your over in a mates house for bbq or something. Then they look at you like a right freak!

Comment

I think it's a combination of your choosen lifestyle and maturity. There's no real difference between 21 and 24. Age is just the number. The maturity level is where the difference is.

This is how it will always be. Right now it's partying. In ten years it'll be pot luck dinners. As a bodybuilder, you will always be the oddball no one understands. You'll get used to it and you will like being different.

Comment

Originally posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
        I think it's a combination of your choosen lifestyle and maturity. There's no real difference between 21 and 24. Age is just the number. The maturity level is where the difference is.

This is how it will always be. Right now it's partying. In ten years it'll be pot luck dinners. As a bodybuilder, you will always be the oddball no one understands. You'll get used to it and you will like being different.
        GM I agree fully. I went through the same issues the last few years at Penn State with my friends. Before I was serious about bodybuilding (High School and freshman year in college) my friends knew me as a John Belushi looking partier who would eat and drink copious amounts of anything. I was weighing in at 225 lbs at 5'5 of pure bodyfat and was always miserable. But, I thought it was cool that I had that identity and felt like I always had to live up to it.

When I started bodybuilding and saw my body change I finally felt like I had some control of my life. Slowly but surely my confidence grew and I didn't feel the need to try to live up to the expectations that I felt my friends put on me. The drinking slowed and slowed from huge amounts, to just a couple on weekends, and then to a couple times a year. I started a prep and bodybuilding took a hold on me. I stayed in on weekends and went to bed early. My TRUE friends accepted everything I did and supported it all even though it wasn't the perfect scenario for them.

In my rambling mess, my main point is... do what makes YOU feel good about yourself. No matter what anyone else tells you that you're missing out on or what they think about you, you're the one that has to live with the choices you make. You reap what you sow and you are the one looking back at yourself in the mirror everyday.
        NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

You have to do what you have to do but I don't see living life as a hermit and being a bb a excuse. I go out just don't drink bro. Or figure out a night you can go out and go out with them. No rocket science if you want to go out and do something do it. If you are not in contest prep dont see a reason why you could not have a couple of beers if you want a couple and are going to the gym the next day.

Comment

dude dejavu right there, i went to Chico State in california last year with my high school best friend, we used to drink almost every week in HS but in college i grew up while people my age didnt, i went out once a month maybe but my roommates and best frined were always calling me to go out at night seeing as CSU Chico is a HUUUUUGGGGEEEE party school, dont trip man get yourself people who love what you do, i found a Gf and she totally understands! its great, but i think i lost some friend for sure
            New-Man Nutrition
            Live Free, Train Hard

Comment

Originally posted by GirlyMuscle View Post

I agree, yesterday I walked in the house and a relative was eating some graham crackers and asked me if I wanted some, I said no. THen he asked when I was going to eat some real food, I said what is real food? He had no answer.

Comment

You guys rock, MD forums make your feel right at home just by reading posts of those who are going through or have gone through the same shit I am. Lets you know your not alone after all.
                MS - Human Sport Performance
                NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Comment

I ended up rooming Sophmore year of college with one of my drinking buddies from Freshmen year, and once he realized that I didn't party anymore, we stopped hanging out. Keep in mind that this was while we were living in a 4 person apartment.

My other roommates were absolutely cool with it, but the one who I was really good friends with really resented me for it. You'll find that the people who are worth being friends with are the ones who stick around and respect how YOU live your life.

Comment

LOl! As I'm typing this my buddies are hanging out drinking and smooking pot right. They called me up to come and have a drink with them but I declined, I do drink once in while but thats on special occasions.
                    Training is my drug of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpanthers View Post
                      Ok so I need an outside opinion here from you guys. I live in an apartment with 3 other college undergraduates this summer. All about 21 years old. I myslelf am 23, almost 24. I am also a MS student taking 1 summer course. I get along very well with these 3 and we do things together from time to time during the day but one issue bugs me in that it seems I might be getting annoying, it might just be me but I dont know. Now they all work but mostly weekends and evenings. They ask me to go out almost 4 or 5 times a week given the bars that are just 6 blocks down the road from our place. I pass every single time since I dont drink much at all and the fact that when the drink its the heavy 1am drinking kinda thing. I do have the honest excuse of work at 730am MWF and then I train at 8 on T and Th mornings. I also work at 5 till 9 on T and W so I tend to have to pass on dinner plans on those nights when ever those arise. Its almost like I feel I am trying to avoid going out with them. But as a training bodybuilder I cant be getting in at 12am or later, drinking 4+ nights a week, eating out for pizza just as often and trying to go to work and or train th next morning, plain and simple. Going to bed at 11:30pm seems to almost bother them at times when their just heading out for the bar scene.

As a note, I wont be living here past the end of August either when my contract expires.
                      to be brief, your only living with these guys till august, but you gotta live with yourself forever. Never compromise your beliefs or goals for ANYONE, especially some random motherfuckers that aint even family. Its not your job to make these people understand what your about, either they get it or they dont. Keep it moving and focus on your progression.

I work out twice a day on the weekends and the people at the gym look at me like im crazy when they see me coming for a second time around. Do i give a shit? Nah, im bout mines and i make it a point not to worry about what other people think. Don't worry about whats out of your control.

...okay not so brief.

Comment

Exercises to domyhomeworkonline

I'm a college student from Stralsund (Germany) living in the dorm with 2 post graduates (they are both older than me). I've grown quite large after 3 years of training and my roommates hate me because of that. They go out to smoke each and every hour (I used to smoke too, but decided to quit when I started my bodybuilding training sessions) and eat a lot after their night classes: pizza, doughnuts, etc. They drink a lot of beer and tempt me all the time trying to mock me with the waspish comments. But I just try to ignore them.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X