Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Martin Q&A

Tim Martin
    Pro Natural Universe - WNBF, MiddleWeight, 1st

Pro Natural International - WNBF, MiddleWeight, 1st

Pro Natural World - WNBF, HeavyWeight, 5th

Gold's Classic - New Jersey - NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 1st
    Pro Natural International - WNBF, HeavyWeight, 2nd
    Musclemania, Light-HeavyWeight, 2nd

Team Universe Championships - NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 2nd

Team Universe Championships - NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 7th

Natural Hercules International - INBF, HeavyWeight, 1st
    New Jersey Championships - NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 1st
    New Jersey Suburban Championships - NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 2nd
    Northeast America - INBF, HeavyWeight, 1st

Pro Natural American - WNBF, HeavyWeight, 1st
    Atlantic States Championships - NPC, HeavyWeight, 1st
    Atlantic States Championships - NPC, Overall Winner
    Atlantic States Championships - NPC, Masters 35+ HeavyWeight, 1st
    Mid Atlantic Natural - NPC, HeavyWeight, 1st
    Mid Atlantic Natural - NPC, Overall Winner
    New Jersey Championships - NPC, Masters HeavyWeight, 1st
    New Jersey Championships - NPC, HeavyWeight, 1st
    New Jersey Championships - NPC, MastersOverall Winner
    Team Universe Championships - NPC, HeavyWeight, 4th

Masters Nationals - NPC, HeavyWeight, 15th
    Team Universe Championships - NPC, HeavyWeight, 1st
    Team Universe Championships - NPC, Overall Winner

With this kind of a contest history, I'm sure we could all learn a thing or two from Tim.

The official Tim Martin Q&A Thread!

Ask away...
    Jeff Rodriguez
    www.jrodfitness.com

offseason

cardio or not to cardio, that is the question. Im gonna guess youve tried both, so Id like your insight.

Also, are you more ecto, meso, endo. Im more ecto and cant find much benefit from offseason cardio especially the slower variety and the HIIT stuff just seems like its to taxing for the offseason goals. I do realize offseason cardio is heart friendly and helps move oxygen around the body, potentially shuttling nutrients better, maybe.

Also looks like you nailed your conditioning, what do you contribute that to compared to years past? Longer diet, different diet scheme?

Lastly, carbs, carb cycle or keto, what is your strategy for prep.

Comment

good questions J

supplements, diet philosophies, favorite food in and offseason, food prep tips, meal frequency, water intake, etc.
      MorphogenNutrition.com
      Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

what kind of training do you use? split, sets, reps, exercises, ecc.?

Comment

Have you ever tried Dorian's style of training ever? If so, have any good HIT routines..?

Comment

stickied
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
              cardio or not to cardio, that is the question. Im gonna guess youve tried both, so Id like your insight.

Also, are you more ecto, meso, endo. Im more ecto and cant find much benefit from offseason cardio especially the slower variety and the HIIT stuff just seems like its to taxing for the offseason goals. I do realize offseason cardio is heart friendly and helps move oxygen around the body, potentially shuttling nutrients better, maybe.

Also looks like you nailed your conditioning, what do you contribute that to compared to years past? Longer diet, different diet scheme?

Lastly, carbs, carb cycle or keto, what is your strategy for prep.
              OK!!!!!!! Thanks for setting this up JRod! Jeff, Layne, and Kiyoshi already have Q & A's, so all I can offer is what I do, not better or worse, only maybe different. I'm all about promoting bodybuilding, specifically natural bodybuilding, so I hope I can share my twenty year bodybuilding experience with you. I'll try to include my exact diets, sample workouts, and plenty of photos. In reality I've stolen all my current strategies from others, but a career of annectodal evidence makes me an expert of me!

Alright Scoob, let's get going. I'm definately and ecto, with very thin wrists and ankles. When I started lifting at twenty years old I was 150 pounds at 5'9". I weighed 210 for the TU, and my offseason weight is about 235, so in reality I've gained about 85 pounds over twenty years. That sounds like a lot, but like everyone else the majority of that was early on (about 15 the first year), diminishing over time.

If you saw the **** ******* interview I talked a little about cardio this year. I'll post an article by Skip LaCour when I get a chance where he mentions some of the same benefits that you did. I did 30 minutes at 65% MHR every weekday morning before breakfast all off-season. This enabled me to eat more, utilize nutrients more efficiently, but maybe most importantly keep the synergy of cardio, lifting, diet, and supplementation that seem to be enhanced when they are all done simultaneously. At my offseason weight of 235 I was much leaner, had more stamina in the gym, and when I finally began cutting for the show I didn't have that initial period where the weight seems to just fall of your body.

Gotta run, but I'll finish with the first batch of questions later. Meanwhile, thanks again for the interest, and I'll do my best to share any knowledge I can offer.

Tim
              https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

In your opinion, what is the best way (nutritionally) to gain mass in the offseason?
                www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

After dieting for a long time, do you find that the best way is to slowly ease your way back into getting into a caloric excess? Or is it better to go right back to clean bulking calories after a show?

Comment

I thought this would be entertaining. Here are three photos from the 1996 ANBC New Jersey. I was 28 years old and probably around 180 pounds.

Getting back to Scoobysnacks' post. I've tried HIT cardio, probably like everyone else did when Skip LaCour and Jeff Willet made it popular on the old AST website. Unfortunately I was also doing HIT lifting, and dislocated my sterno-clavicular joint while getting ready for the 2003 TU, so I never got to finish what I started that year. For me, long-slow-duration cardio seems to work best because I can regulate the workload more accurately and make adjustments as needed.

As for the diets, I've tried them all and I think you just have to find what works for your body. That said, what works this year might not work next. You can't argue that JRod's high protein, moderate carb, low fat doesn't work, as he displays crazy separation. I did that all through my twenties and mid-thirties, and I was able to get pretty lean. I do believe that all those years of no fat dieting wreaked havoc on my hormone levels. About three years ago I went for bloodwork and found my total testosterone to be something like 260 (below normal range). I started adding fats to all my meals and six months later it was in the high 300's, still not great but at least in the normal range. I was still doing about 150 g of carbs for my contest diet, and it worked well for me last year. I did the same this year, but when the ketogenic diet seemed to be gaining popularity I became interested. Then when I did the NPC Master's Nationals and saw how lean Vinny Galanti was on that diet I asked for his help.

I switched to zero carbs four weeks before the TU and noticed a change after three days, my skin was thinner looking and I didn't really feel flat. I only wish I had tried this diet sooner, so at least that gives me something to look forward to for the IFBB. I'll copy/paste my exact diet.
                    Attached Files

Comment

KETOGENIC DIET

6:00 A.M
                      EGGS: 4 WHOLE/8 WHITE 52 g protein, 0 g carb, 22 g fat
                      TOTAL: 52 g protein, 0 g carb, 22 g fat

9:00 A.M.
                      6 OZ. CHICKEN 50 g protein, 0 g carb, 7 g fat
                      SPINACH SALAD 2 g protein, 5 g carb, 14 g fat
                      TOTAL: 52 g protein, 5 g carb, 21 g fat

12:00 P.M.
                      WHEY SHAKE 50 g protein, 3 g carb, 1 g fat
                      2 TBSP. PEANUT BUTTER 8 g protein, 6 g carb, 16 g fat
                      TOTAL: 58 g protein, 9 g carb, 17 g fat

2:00 P.M.

5:00 P.M.

8:00 P.M. (POST WORKOUT)
                      WHEY SHAKE 25 g protein, 1 g carb, 1 g fat
                      TOTAL: 25 g protein, 1 g carb, 1 g fat

9:00 P.M.

2:00 A.M.

DAILY TOTALS: 407 g protein, 43 g carb, 137 g fat
                      TOTAL NON WORKOUT: 382 g protein, 42 g carb, 136 g fat

TOTAL CALORIES = 3033 CALORIES (WORKOUT)
                      2920 CALORIES (NON-WORKOUT)

PERCENTAGES: PROTEIN=54%, CARBS=6%, FATS=42%

I would alternate steak or Tilapia with the chicken, and every Saturday night, including the week before the show, I did a "re-feed" at Pizza Hut!
                      Salads had 1 tablespoon of walnut oil on them. If I was in a hurry I replaced the salad with 1/4 cup of cashews or macadamia nuts.
                      Post-workout shake and post-cardio drink included creatine, BCAA's, glutamine, and Benefiber.
                      Last edited by Tim Martin; September 12, 2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronBrendan View Post
                        In your opinion, what is the best way (nutritionally) to gain mass in the offseason?
                        I'm curious as to how you'd advise about this as well, and not just nutrition-wise, but also training-wise, rest-wise, etc!

To add 3-4 pounds in one year is one thing... but to continuously make those gains year after year for twenty years!! You should be extremely proud of the physique you've created.

Obviously time and consistency are main points, but I'm wondering if you might be willing to share what you feel are any other key points that have contributed to this overall success? Concerning nutrition, training, lifestyle, mentality, etc?

Comment

Tim--I really appreciate the in depth response and old pics, as good as you looked 12 yrs ago, today is much more dense and lean looking, and that gives me hope that years of consistent eating and training I still have a lot of strides I can personally make. Thanks again.

Ss

Comment

Originally posted by phayzed View Post
                            I'm curious as to how you'd advise about this as well, and not just nutrition-wise, but also training-wise, rest-wise, etc!

To add 3-4 pounds in one year is one thing... but to continuously make those gains year after year for twenty years!! You should be extremely proud of the physique you've created.

Obviously time and consistency are main points, but I'm wondering if you might be willing to share what you feel are any other key points that have contributed to this overall success? Concerning nutrition, training, lifestyle, mentality, etc?
                            Well, every year my opinion changes regarding what the best program is. I think every bodybuilder is always chasing that elusive key to the perfect program. Dietwise, since the ketogenic diet seemed to work so well for me I've shifted right into the standard off-season version (at least until we receive word about Bahrain). Here it is:

OFF SEASON KETOGENIC DIET

6:00 A.M
                            EGGS: 4 WHOLE/8 WHITE 52 g protein, 0 g carb, 22 g fat
                            1 CUP (DRY) OATMEAL 6g protein, 52g carb, 0g fat
                            TOTAL: 58 g protein, 52 g carb, 22 g fat

9:00 A.M.
                            1 CUP BROWN RICE 4g protein, 43g carb, 0g fat
                            TOTAL: 56 g protein, 48 g carb, 21 g fat

12:00 P.M.
                            CUP OATMEAL 3g protein, 26g carb, 0g fat
                            TOTAL: 61 g protein, 35 g carb, 17 g fat

2:00 P.M.

5:00 P.M.
                            CUP OATMEAL 3g protein, 26g carb, 0g fat
                            TOTAL: 61 g protein, 35 g carb, 17 g fat

8:00 P.M. (POST WORKOUT)
                            1 SCOOP WAXY MAIZE 0g protein, 30g carb, 0g fat
                            TOTAL: 50 g protein, 33 g carb, 1 g fat

9:00 P.M.

2:00 A.M.

DAILY TOTALS: 456 g protein, 308 g carb, 137 g fat
                            TOTAL NON WORKOUT: 406 g protein, 275 g carb, 135 g fat
                            TOTAL CALORIES = 4289 CALORIES (WORKOUT)
                            3948 CALORIES (NON-WORKOUT)

PERCENTAGES: PROTEIN=42%, CARBS=29%, FATS=29%

I tend to be almost as strict with off-season dieting as pre-contest, preparing my food in the morning and bringing what I need with me when I'm out. I've also stolen Chris Faildo's recipe for ginger chicken and steak from his new DVD. It's so easy and it always tastes good.

As for mentality, this is a huge part. Every bodybuilder has to believe that they are special. This year I did something else which may sound weird. I prefer to do my cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast, not only because I've been fasting but also because the time seems to go much faster for me at this time. I've built a "cardio gym" at home, with a treadmill, eliptical, and stairmaster all facing a TV/DVD. I'll usually put in a Mitsuri Okabe or Muscletime DVD with no volume and listen to the iPod. This year almost every day starting around July I'd listen to a chapter of "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. I know it sounds crazy but this helped me visualize what I wanted and to stay positive. Once I got past my skepticism and put the ideas to work it made me feel better every day and I found it to be true that a good attitude attracted good things to me, and it looks like the TU title is just one more of them!

Regarding training, off-season is just way more fun, an opportunity to build muscle by forcing your body to get stronger. I'll talk specific routines later, but always try to lift heavier weight forcing the muscle to grow. Again, stealing from Skip LaCour, focusing on a good "value", heavy weight with good form. Not sloppy with swinging and momentum, but not too strict either where you can't push the envelope and get forced reps and cheat a little at the end of a set.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tim,

Vinny Galanti is a mad cool dude. Met him through our mutual friend Joe Bilella a few years back.

Question for you regarding your transition to keto 4 weeks out from the TU.

What was your weight and approximate bf% before you switched to the last 4 weeks to keto and what were the same variables at showtime?

Can you see this as a possible dieting strategy for someone who stays lean year round then wants to do the same protocol. Feel free to elaborate. Thanks.

NYC BIG MIKE
                              Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

Working...
                              X