Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey tim, just read the new FLEX and so your name iunder hte MUSCLEANEOUS sectiona page 64... claming you were Flex's favorite MARTIN..they talked about your last year atlantic states victory and TEAM U victory, complimenting your back

good look for the natural guys out there.. to make in FLEX publication...hoepfully WNBF doesn't hear about it...lol..kidding

Comment

• Thanks Pumpnirn11, I picked up a copy for myself. Today I drove up to Mahwah, NJ to train with IFBB Pro Vinny Galanti and his training partner Joe for shoulders and biceps. I always have a good workout when I train with fellow competitors and today was no different. A brief recap:

Machine Shoulder Press
      2 warmups, 15 x stack, 12 x stack plus a 25#

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press (facing machine)
      15 x 2 plates, 12 x 3 plates, 12 x 2.5 plates dropped to 12 x 1.5 plates

"Up-the-Rack" Dumbell Laterals
      2 giant sets of 20 x 35#, 12 x 45#, 8 x 55#

Cable Column Rear Laterals (pulleys at shoulder level)
      15 x 40#, 15 x 50#, 12 x 50# dropped to 12 x 30#

Hammer Strength Preacher Curls
      15 x 1 plate, 15 x 2 plates, 10 x 3 plates, 12 x 2.5 dropped to 12 x 1.5

Standing EZ curls for "28's" (Done in "21" fashion - 7 full, 7 top, 7 bottom, 7 full)
      1 set at 75#, 2 sets at 95#

Standing Hammer Curls
      10 x 80#, 10 x 90#, 8 x 100#

All in all a great workout - I felt nauseous at the end. Tomorrow morning it's legs with my friend/competitor Chris MacKenzie, I'll try to take better pics.
      Attached Files
      https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

• Good luck with your first pro show big guy. Looking strong.
        http://www.facebook.com/PastorPump , IAFS Master Trainer www.iafscertification.com

Comment

• It looks like you always wear a belt when you train. Is this out of habit or do you feel that you need it?

I ask because it seems these days many guys abandon belts all together except on very heavy sets.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooker View Post
            It looks like you always wear a belt when you train. Is this out of habit or do you feel that you need it?

I ask because it seems these days many guys abandon belts all together except on very heavy sets.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Thanks.
            Yeah, I almost always wear a belt, for two reasons. First, back in the day I was doing the vertical leg press and strained my low back when not wearing a belt, and secondly wearing a belt creates more inter-abdominal pressure (valsalva) which increases systemic blood pressure and creates more strength. I sometimes wonder though if constant belt wearing creates more muscular obliques, something I definitely don't need. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
              Yeah, I almost always wear a belt, for two reasons. First, back in the day I was doing the vertical leg press and strained my low back when not wearing a belt, and secondly wearing a belt creates more inter-abdominal pressure (valsalva) which increases systemic blood pressure and creates more strength. I sometimes wonder though if constant belt wearing creates more muscular obliques, something I definitely don't need. Any thoughts?
              Thanks for the reply.

I asked because I have recently started wearing a belt more frequently. Seems strange to me that 10-15 years ago seeing a guy weaing a belt was the norm at the gym now they are almost non-existent, well at least at my gym they are.

I'm not sure about the belt increasing the size of obliques?

Comment

I have worn a belt almost every workout since 14. Some guys think it helps keep their waist small.
                Oblique development is more of a result of lifting super heavy IMO. I think developed obliques give a great polished look when dieting down.

Comment

Brought a camera to the gym this morning so I could demonstrate the two glute exercises. Here you go:
                  Tim,

I wanted to give you a big THANK YOU for showing this exercise. I don't think anything has every directly nailed my glutes as precisely as this. Ever since I saw this post (and trained with Doug Miller doing these), I have added these as a staple in my leg hypertrophy workouts. I finally have DOMS in my glutes after every workout Thanks agin for the tip!

Originally posted by dpd555 View Post
                  I have worn a belt almost every workout since 14. Some guys think it helps keep their waist small.
                  Oblique development is more of a result of lifting super heavy IMO. I think developed obliques give a great polished look when dieting down.
                  Intuitively, I would think that lifting without a belt would develop thicker obliques since you are using them directly for stabilization instead of the belt doing most of it. I'm not saying one way or the other, but ever since I started doing all my heavy squatting and deadlifting without a belt, my oblique thickness has skyrocketed...

Sporto
                  IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                  Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• How often do you take time off from training? How do you know when its time to take a short break?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shulk View Post
                      How often do you take time off from training? How do you know when its time to take a short break?
                      You're asking the wrong guy about taking time off. I'm one of those neurotic bodybuilders who only takes breaks for injuries and emergencies. Back in the day I tried the Max-OT system, but hated resuming training after the weekly breaks (every eight weeks) because mentally I felt weak and I'd get so sore. Now if I'm really not feeling it I'll skip a day, but I try to maintain my 4-5 day a week lifting schedule pretty regularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                        Tim,

I wanted to give you a big THANK YOU for showing this exercise. I don't think anything has every directly nailed my glutes as precisely as this. Ever since I saw this post (and trained with Doug Miller doing these), I have added these as a staple in my leg hypertrophy workouts. I finally have DOMS in my glutes after every workout Thanks agin for the tip!
                        Same here! Great stuff!

Tim,
                        In a post a while back, you mentioned supplementing with Mona Vie. Do you currently use it? If so, what for? Do you recommend it?
                        "Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure..."

Comment

• Originally posted by lighthvy View Post
                          Same here! Great stuff!

Tim,
                          In a post a while back, you mentioned supplementing with Mona Vie. Do you currently use it? If so, what for? Do you recommend it?
                          To be honest I stopped using it a few months ago. I truly believed annecdodally that the antioxidant/phytonutrient value of Mona Vie helped me with my chronic tendonitis and joint inflammation. After not using anything for the past few months I haven't noticed any detrimental effects, in fact most of the aches and pains are improving.

I do think Mona Vie (or Fruit a Vie from Sam's Club) are valuable nutritional supplements, but until they come down in price I'll make do with things like pomegranite juice and acai concentrates.

Comment

To be honest I stopped using it a few months ago. I truly believed annecdodally that the antioxidant/phytonutrient value of Mona Vie helped me with my chronic tendonitis and joint inflammation. After not using anything for the past few months I haven't noticed any detrimental effects, in fact most of the aches and pains are improving.

I do think Mona Vie (or Fruit a Vie from Sam's Club) are valuable nutritional supplements, but until they come down in price I'll make do with things like pomegranite juice and acai concentrates.
                            Great, thank you for the input
                            "Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure..."

Comment

• Blast from the past...

My wife was cleaning out our guest room closet and came across these photos. They are from the 1997 Musclemania World where I didn't even place. I dehydrated for two days, notice the "flat, yet smoothed-over" look, and more importantly the "blue steel" expression in the second one.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• You looked great Tim! Even with the hair! lol Seriously you have great lines and symetry, its amazing how much muscle you've added to your frame since those shots were taken!

Comment

Working...
                                X