Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Tim, my question is, have you ever injured your lower back (muscles) and if so, what are your thoughts about it

Comment

• Originally posted by Sexybeast777 View Post
      Hi Tim, my question is, have you ever injured your lower back (muscles) and if so, what are your thoughts about it
      I don't think there is a hard-training bodybuilder alive who hasn't injured their lower back a some time. My most common low back complaint is sacro-iliac dysfunction, where one side of the low back can get inflamed, subluxed, and possibly impinge the nerve. Squats seem to be the biggest culprit in exacerbating this condition, but I have found that if I consciously "distend" my abdomen at the bottom of the movement my back stays protected. I've recently resumed heavy deadlifting after taking most of the year off from that movement, and the lumbar awareness is different for me on this lift. I'll use a 4" Inzer belt and tense my abs against the belt before I pick up the bar. I'm not getting any younger and I definitely pay more attention to aches and pains nowadays, and try to make subtle changes in exercise selection and technique to avoid having to take time off from the gym.
      https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

• Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
        I don't think there is a hard-training bodybuilder alive who hasn't injured their lower back a some time. My most common low back complaint is sacro-iliac dysfunction, where one side of the low back can get inflamed, subluxed, and possibly impinge the nerve. Squats seem to be the biggest culprit in exacerbating this condition, but I have found that if I consciously "distend" my abdomen at the bottom of the movement my back stays protected. I've recently resumed heavy deadlifting after taking most of the year off from that movement, and the lumbar awareness is different for me on this lift. I'll use a 4" Inzer belt and tense my abs against the belt before I pick up the bar. I'm not getting any younger and I definitely pay more attention to aches and pains nowadays, and try to make subtle changes in exercise selection and technique to avoid having to take time off from the gym.
        Thank you so much I really appreciate it, I'm not getting any younger either and I recently hurt my muscles in my lower back.I'm healing, almost 100% healed, but it's so emotionally painful, not to be able to train 100%...You are right, we all go through things like that, and I gotta be a little more careful with deadlifts..I also gotta understand that I'm not some kind of superman in the gym (I gotta take it easy sometimes, I know) Thank you, your words have given me a lot of inspiration

Comment

Thanks bro, I should be posting new video of the '08 Team Universe this weekend, check the website and let me know what you think I should add. As for the timing of shows - everyone has their own opinion. I never saw the need to get fat for 2 years between contests, and having followed many competitors I don't think it really works. I've always found that I train harder, eat better, and maintain my supplement regimen much better when I have a contest in my crosshairs. In fact, probably the best gains I ever made were between a late November contest and a spring contest the following year.

Bodybuilding is a weird sport in that we only get to compete about once per year. I'm a big advocate of competing every year (unless injury occurs) and stringing together several shows relatively close together. There is no substitute for experience, both with stage presence and with peaking. Having said this, you almost assuredly will have to check your ego at the door, as you can't really be at your peak for your early shows. Last year my goal contest was the TU, but I did two shows in July to gauge my progress and got pretty much spanked in both because I wasn't in great condition.
          Tim..thank you very much for taking the time to anwer my question! i will def check the video at your website! Thanks once again...you are an inpiration of dedication, hardwork and dicipline!

Francisco

Comment

• Tim what are your future plans as far as competing goes?? Do you have anything in line for this year or are you taking this year off from competing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve56 View Post
              Tim what are your future plans as far as competing goes?? Do you have anything in line for this year or are you taking this year off from competing?
              Thanks for the interest, Steve. I've struggled all year with finding the motivation to compete this year. Returning to the TU wasn't really an option, but the thought of stepping on an IFBB stage quite frankly scares me a little knowing how much muscle I'll be giving up to those pros. Well, after going back and forth countless times, I've committed to doing the Atlantic City Pro in September. I could list a bunch of reasons not to do it, but in the end I decided to finish what I started and compete as a natural IFBB Pro. Also, the contract I signed with Six Star Muscle stipulates that I compete as a pro, so there's a financial reason to do it. I have absolutely no illusions (or delusions) of being competitive but I just want to achieve a personal goal and try to be better than last year, so even if I come in dead last as long as I feel I brought in a good look for me I'll be happy.

On another note the video clips of last year's Team Universe prejudging and finals should be posted on my website tonight, check them out.

Comment

Thanks for the interest, Steve. I've struggled all year with finding the motivation to compete this year. Returning to the TU wasn't really an option, but the thought of stepping on an IFBB stage quite frankly scares me a little knowing how much muscle I'll be giving up to those pros. Well, after going back and forth countless times, I've committed to doing the Atlantic City Pro in September. I could list a bunch of reasons not to do it, but in the end I decided to finish what I started and compete as a natural IFBB Pro. Also, the contract I signed with Six Star Muscle stipulates that I compete as a pro, so there's a financial reason to do it. I have absolutely no illusions (or delusions) of being competitive but I just want to achieve a personal goal and try to be better than last year, so even if I come in dead last as long as I feel I brought in a good look for me I'll be happy.

On another note the video clips of last year's Team Universe prejudging and finals should be posted on my website tonight, check them out.
                The fact that your stepping on an IFBB stage as a drug free bodybuilder is an amazing accomplishment! You did it your way on your own terms so you're right it dosent matter where you place, the fact that you're up there with those guys is incredible.

Comment

Ya know Tim and dont take this is the wrong way I have the upmost respect for you and you know it, but if your gonna sit here and say that you cant be competitve and your giving up muscle that is a croc of and you know it. You know it and I know u gotta come in peeled and big. Your only defeating yourself if your gonna think that way. Symmetry, proportion, conditioning, alot of those pros come in out of shape, gawd why? who knows!!!! but thats there fault. But you have the drive and you have a IFBB PRO CARD!!!! DAMN!!! Not a ocb, nga, wnbf. IFBB. your the best of the best. You worked your ass of for a year to get ready for the Team Universe and it paid off!!! Wish you wouldve went to the wedding though!!!lol But to be the best you have to compete against the best!!!and you left no doubt!! except to me!!!!!!

But damn work ur ass off and prove to other people that it can be done!!!!Shyt I'm on your side bro!!!!! I comin I dont know when but I'm coming!!!!!
                  kiyoshimoody.com
                  *TEAM GENR8* genr8speed.com

Comment

• I agree with Kiyoshi. Your conditioning will likley be hard to beat, plus you just have a TON of muscle, so you should do very well. Competing on a IFBB Pro stage as a natural is an amazing accomplishment!

Comment

• You crack me up Kiyoshi, but you're 100% right. Trust me, even though my post sounded negative I am focussed to be improved on that stage. I agree that some of the pros come in looking bad and I won't be one of them. I'm doing my hour cardio sessions, training balls out, and sticking to the diet without exceptions. I'll be at the TU cheering you on, so I expect you to bring it as well. By the way how was Toronto? We'll be headed up there around the same time in September.

Also, if my brother ever stops procrastinating I'll get the TU overall video posted on my website.

Comment

You crack me up Kiyoshi, but you're 100% right. Trust me, even though my post sounded negative I am focussed to be improved on that stage. I agree that some of the pros come in looking bad and I won't be one of them. I'm doing my hour cardio sessions, training balls out, and sticking to the diet without exceptions. I'll be at the TU cheering you on, so I expect you to bring it as well. By the way how was Toronto? We'll be headed up there around the same time in September.

Also, if my brother ever stops procrastinating I'll get the TU overall video posted on my website.

I think I have that video, let me check hit u up later!!!!!
                        kiyoshimoody.com
                        *TEAM GENR8* genr8speed.com

Comment

• Finally got last year's TU vids up, check them out. Also, as of today I'm switching back to the keto diet for the final 10 weeks, not that I lost some of my baby fat!

http://protimmartin.com/Videos.html

Comment

• Hey Tim,

Do you happen to have a video of you doing your "glute raises" on the hamstring curl machine? I have been doing the one on the abductor/adductor machine (which I absolutely love even though I get weird looks lol), but I wanted to start doing the other one as well. I tried to get underneath it, but I just can't get it to feel right.

Thoughts?

TIA

Sporto
                            IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                            Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

Finally got last year's TU vids up, check them out. Also, as of today I'm switching back to the keto diet for the final 10 weeks, not that I lost some of my baby fat!

http://protimmartin.com/Videos.html
                              Thanks for posting!

Whatever you used for last year's TU worked awesome. I'm doing the targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) that Lyle McDonald has written about and it has been working great so far.

Tim, on your website you list an "offseason KETOGENIC diet" that's really high in carbs. Do you actually maintain ketosis on this diet...or is that a misprint?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                                Hey Tim,

Do you happen to have a video of you doing your "glute raises" on the hamstring curl machine? I have been doing the one on the abductor/adductor machine (which I absolutely love even though I get weird looks lol), but I wanted to start doing the other one as well. I tried to get underneath it, but I just can't get it to feel right.

Thoughts?

TIA

Sporto
                                I use the Icarian version but still get weird looks every time I do it. I just started doing them again, and while doing the elevated abduction works the "corners" of my glutes, the bridging on the hamstring curl works all the way to the crack! You have to basically sit on the floor and slide yourself under the foot pad so that it rests on your ASIS (hip bones) and the top of your shoulder blades rests where your thighs normally would.

Comment

Working...
                                X