Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Vinny and I get together to train once in a while, he's a good guy. When I switched to the keto diet I was already pretty lean, but like I said I did notice a change in my skin thickness. As for weight, I really didn't have a noticeable drop when I eliminated carbs, maybe because my calories stayed constant, about 3,000. The craziest thing is that while I felt my appearance improved significantly, by bodyweight didn't drop all that much.

I kept a progress photo log on my "Bodyspace" page leading up to the contest. Click to view:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Ti...n=progresspics
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

Nice record of progression pictures. Thanks for sharing. I see at one point you dropped fats and gained a few pounds ("WTF!"), funny, I just went through that last week as I'm 9 weeks out of the Eastern USA's.

NYC BIG MIKE
      Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

I've just seen your progression pics. What can I say? GREAT!!! A real example for any natural bodybuilder. Pics from 2 week out Team U untill the show are really incredible!
        Last edited by zeneise; September 14, 2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

what a great accomplishment!!!

i think thats the biggest goal a Natty could achieve in there bodybuilding career.....

so i'l llike to see how you meaure up when you decided to make your pro debut.....

congrats again..

Comment

Skip LaCour continues to be a role model for me and thousands of other natural competitors around the world. I met him at the 2002 Team Universe, and have corresponded with him a little bit over the years, and he always seems to know the answer to questions I might have. He recently published and article discussing the secrets to success in natural bodybuilding, and you may be surprised that it mostly deals with the mental approach, with a much lesser emphasis on diet and training.

For the full article, please click: www.skiplacour.com/secrets.pdf

Here is the shorter recap:

1. Don’t think of being drug-free an insurmountable obstacle preventing you from building a great physique. You first must believe that it is indeed possible to create some amazing things with your physique without drugs. You must believe there is still a way to accomplish more with your physique even if you’ve had some pretty good gains in the past. Immediately separate yourself from those negative people who say it is impossible for you to do so.

2. Don’t worry about who’s taking drugs and who is not. The battle to become your very best is always against yourself—not against anyone else who is using drugs. Whether or not someone else is using drugs has no bearing on what you can and can’t accomplish with your own physique. Worrying about who is on drugs, however, can have a seriously detrimental affect on everything you are trying to do.

3. Be patient. If you want to reach your full genetic potential without using drugs, you must look at your bodybuilding endeavors like the elite natural bodybuilders. You must look at your bodybuilding efforts as a series of long-term lifestyle choices. Instead of only setting short-term goals like seeing how huge you can get by next summer, create a clear vision of what you want to look like after five more years of living a disciplined bodybuilding regimen.

4. Develop certainty and confidence on a day-to-day basis with the training and eating habits you choose. Whatever strategies you choose, get the most out of them by exerting extraordinary effort. Make up for what others perceive as disadvantages with your exceptional work ethic, mindset, training habits, and eating regimen. When looking for a good workout routine or eating plan, look to one of the successful drug-free bodybuilders you admire most for guidance. That way, you won’t have the convenient excuse that your plan didn’t work because you are training naturally. You’ll begin with a little more certainty and look a little bit more closely at your level of commitment if things don’t work out for you as quickly as you’d like.

5. Be persistent. Even though you train without drugs, become relentless in your pursuit of finding a series of effective strategies that will help you reach your outrageous bodybuilding goals. Keep searching for the right answers. Who knows? Maybe the next one you try will launch you into a new level of massive growth.

6. Train with intensity. Training hard does not mean the same as training with intensity. Intensity can be described as giving 100 percent of your mind, body, and soul in every exercise, every set, every repetition, and every workout. Intensity means pounding the weights in a way that is so darn taxing that every single set ends in absolute failure. In other words, you have absolutely nothing left in reserve when the set is completed—not a 1/2 of a rep, a 1/4 of a rep, or even a 1/8 of a rep more. Intensity is maintaining this high standard of performance throughout an entire workout. Never be satisfied with your level of performance in the gym. Continually strive for the always improving, seemingly barely out-of-reach incredible standard of intensity when you train.

7. Train hard all year long. You must train hard in the gym and eat the right foods all year long if you really want to reach your ambitious goals. You don’t have steroids or other drugs to compensate for mediocre, inconsistent training and eating habits.

8. Keep the number of calories you eat relatively high. You must control your metabolism if you want to duplicate the success of the top drug-free bodybuilders. Keep your caloric intake relatively high. Make your body gear its metabolism up—and prevent it from ever gearing down. If you have an average or slower metabolism, eat a lot of food and do a lot of cardiovascular training to keep your metabolism running hotter and more efficiently. If you have a faster metabolism, you must be extremely
            committed to eating frequent meals that contain more nutrient-dense calories.

9. Stay relatively lean all year long. In the off-season, eating efficiently is what will build muscle. Do not eat to get fat. Do not eat to stay lean. Eat to build muscle. Consistently feed yourself high-quality protein for muscle growth and enough carbohydrates to keep you feeling strong. After prioritizing those needs, consume as much food as you feel comfortable eating while still managing your body fat levels.

10. Place a heavy emphasis on protein consumption. Protein is the most important nutrient for building muscle without drugs. Without enough high-quality protein, you are not going to grow at the rate you deserve to grow—and I don’t care how hard you train in the gym. Make protein powder and meal replacements the foundation of your supplementation program.

Comment

Tim what show will we see you in next?
              Though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you.

Comment

Originally posted by Norway Power View Post
                Tim what show will we see you in next?
                Right now I'm just focussing on the IFBB Worlds in November. After that I'm going to enjoy the TU victory and see how my body responds to this off-season diet. I'm not delusional in believing I would be competitive on an IFBB stage, so the only reason to do one is if I was an improved bodybuilder. I think I still have a young body as far as bodybuilding goes, so I'll play it by ear, but the New York Pro would probably be my most logical choice if I do give it a try.

As for the IFBB Worlds, Kiyoshi has already been there and I value his insight. I was sort of looking at this show just as an opportunity to travel and experience a show of that caliber, not really expecting to make any impact. What he said changed my outlook in that this is another opportunity to improve, and more importantly to let these guys know what the US is capable of bringing, so I plan on doing my best to bring an improved package to Bahrain.

On a personal note, this is copied from Musclememory.com, and for me says it all!

Team Universe Championships - NPC Overall Winners
                1994 - Ron Coleman
                1995 - Yohnnie Shambourger
                1996 - Johnny Stewart
                1997 - Robert Washington
                1998 - Skip LaCour
                1999 - Kai Greene
                2000 - Marvin Ward
                2001 - Greg Rando
                2002 - Skip LaCour
                2003 - Jeff Willet
                2004 - Kai Greene
                2005 - Jose Raymond
                2006 - Michael Lockett
                2007 - Chris Faildo
                2008 - Tim Martin

Comment

Congratulations Tim and thank you for taking the time to let us pick your brain. I look forward to the insight you can offer the natural competitor and appreciate you showing what can be done naturally.

Do you have any set guidlines for your off season macro and calorie intake?
                  " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

Comment

I'm doing the exact diet on the preceding page (4300 cals). Of course if I get fat I'll adjust, but I've done this all week and look pretty much the same only fuller. I went back to the gym on Wednesday and did legs which felt great to get some blood in there. Tomorrow (Monday), I'll resume cardio. I think I'll do 30 minutes until I hear for sure about November, at which time I'll go back to an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
                      Right now I'm just focussing on the IFBB Worlds in November. After that I'm going to enjoy the TU victory and see how my body responds to this off-season diet. I'm not delusional in believing I would be competitive on an IFBB stage, so the only reason to do one is if I was an improved bodybuilder. I think I still have a young body as far as bodybuilding goes, so I'll play it by ear, but the New York Pro would probably be my most logical choice if I do give it a try.

As for the IFBB Worlds, Kiyoshi has already been there and I value his insight. I was sort of looking at this show just as an opportunity to travel and experience a show of that caliber, not really expecting to make any impact. What he said changed my outlook in that this is another opportunity to improve, and more importantly to let these guys know what the US is capable of bringing, so I plan on doing my best to bring an improved package to Bahrain.

On a personal note, this is copied from Musclememory.com, and for me says it all!

1994 - Ron Coleman
                      1996 - Johnny Stewart
                      1997 - Robert Washington
                      1998 - Skip LaCour
                      1999 - Kai Greene
                      2000 - Marvin Ward
                      2001 - Greg Rando
                      2002 - Skip LaCour
                      2003 - Jeff Willet
                      2004 - Kai Greene
                      2005 - Jose Raymond
                      2006 - Michael Lockett
                      2007 - Chris Faildo
                      2008 - Tim Martin
                      Tim,

First off, congrats on your overall victory. You have been working toward this goal for a long time. You dedication and effort has paid off!

Secondly, that's a VERY impressive list of bodybuilders that you can now say you are part of. That's awesome!

Comment

Tim, congratulations on your victory! You look fantastic! I have always looked up to Skip Lacour as a roll model in the sport also. Now it looks like I can add you and jrod to the list!

I switched to a version of the keto diet about six years ago and it made a huge difference in my contest conditioning.

Keep the good advice coming! We love reading about how you eat and train!

Comment

Ok, Tim I know ur a PT so that like makes you my hero twice now! haha... I'm sure you know this but, your level of muscle that you carry is way above the level of most drug-free lifters. Is there a mental block you think with most natural guys thinking they can never get that big? You probably already covered it but what do you attribute that superior level of muscularity to? training consistently for 20 years, training heavy, nutrition, supps, mindset?
                          And.... How has being a PT helped (I'm assuming it's helped) you with preventing/managing any injuries from your training and what are some things you'd recommend from a PT's perspective (not just saying use good form and warm-up, but a little more in-depth).... Ok, that's all I got, haha... thank you for taking the time to do all this, it's great getting more knowledge from another awesome champion!
                          http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...n?goto=newpost

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post

1994 - Ron Coleman
                            1996 - Johnny Stewart
                            1997 - Robert Washington
                            1998 - Skip LaCour
                            1999 - Kai Greene
                            2000 - Marvin Ward
                            2001 - Greg Rando
                            2002 - Skip LaCour
                            2003 - Jeff Willet
                            2004 - Kai Greene
                            2005 - Jose Raymond
                            2006 - Michael Lockett
                            2007 - Chris Faildo
                            2008 - Tim Martin
                            Tim,
                            Congratulations!!! Your 20 yrs of training & 13 yrs of competing has paid off in a big way winning the overall in the Team Universe and becoming an IFBB pro! I saw you up close as I did the online commentary with Dave at the prejudging. You were clearly the best bber up there on that stage and deserved the overall win. So congrats! That is certainly an impressive list of bbers to be included in with as an overall winner...very inspirational...maybe one day with hard work I can be so blessed to do the same. Thanks for the inspiration and congrats on your win bro. Best of luck in the future & God Bless!

Best Regards, Justinian Miller
                            www.instagram.com/astrongspirit

Comment

Justin, thanks again to you and Dave for doing the play-by-play, I think that is a huge step forward for bodybuilding coverage. Gone are the days when I would do a WNBF show and have to wait six months or longer for any type of commentary!

PTmuscle - First I'll admit that I'm the worst patient, but I do try to get acute treatment for the injuries that are unavoidable in this sport. Looking back just in the last year that includes, ultrasound, cold laser, stim, iontophoresis, massage, chiropractic, and something I think is really effective (especially for athletes) that I became certified in this year, kinesiotaping. Also, IMO both disciplines compliment each other in terms of anatomical, physiological, and kinetic awareness.

As for my level of muscularity, thanks! Read the article I posted by Skip LaCour, it really says it well. As a natural bodybuilder there are no short cuts. I've lifted with several top assisted bodybuilders and they always comment on the level of intensity. Also, I think natural muscle just "pops" more when flexed. On the flip side of this it probably doesn't look as impressive when relaxed. If you saw me on the street, you might think I was muscular but probably not a bodybuilder.

Comment

Hey what's your bulking split?

Comment

Working...
                                X