Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
    I appreciate that, especially because as natural bodybuilders we seem to attract haters from out of the woodwork! When I started competing I would only do drug tested shows. Eventually I decided that in addition to those I also wanted to try some non-tested NPC contests. Guess what, if you bring a conditioned and symmetrical physique to the stage anything can happen. I did the NPC Atlantic States in '07 "for the experience" and to my shock I won the overall, joining names like Kevin English, Fakhri Mubarek, Evan Centopani, and Sean Allen. That's what I'm keeping in my mind going into the Atlantic City Pro, that anything can happen and it's my job to come in shredded and hopefully exploit some of the guys who may not be as separated.

Great attitude! You are a class act Tim.

Comment

The "offseason keto" diet isn't really keto, just Palumbo's version as far as I can gather. I did it mainly to have a caloric goal and get the benefits of the macros. I'm also presently doing kind of a targeted keto approach as I'm drinking a NO/Intravol drink during training, but that's my only carbs for the day. I'm giving myself 10 full weeks of the keto diet this year, and feel a lot better about my conditioning this past week.
      Any reason why the carbs you do take in for the day are during? Why not pre or post? Also, while doing a keto diet, how's your strength and energy levels throughout the duration? And one more thing...do you do your own contest prep?

Comment

• Originally posted by the_genetic_freak View Post
        Any reason why the carbs you do take in for the day are during? Why not pre or post? Also, while doing a keto diet, how's your strength and energy levels throughout the duration? And one more thing...do you do your own contest prep?
        My goal for the offseason diet is to gradually take in a surplus of quality calories in hopes of gaining lean bodyweight, not just to eat a ton of empty calories and get fat. The highest carbohydrate meal is immediately post-training (60 g waxy maize), while most of the other carbs are from low glycemic sources.

When I do switch to zero carbs I don't notice any loss in strength, maybe because by this point I'm so amped up with the pre-contest mindset lifting is the easy part. In fact, since I dropped carbs two weeks ago my strength has gone up on several lifts - I just got home from doing back and got six plate deadlifts for four reps. That being said, I do think you can get lean on many styles of diets, as long as you gradually and consistently put yourself in a caloric defecit.

As for doing my own contest prep, I'm the first to admit I've stolen all of my ideas from other people, however I only trust myself when it comes to making changes. I'm meticulous about weighing my food, eating on time, and taking weekly bodyweight and photo assessments. One reason I enjoy competitive bodybuilding so much is the amount of control you can exercise in every aspect of preparation, and hiring someone else to do that would take away most of the satisfaction for me.
        https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

I use the Icarian version but still get weird looks every time I do it. I just started doing them again, and while doing the elevated abduction works the "corners" of my glutes, the bridging on the hamstring curl works all the way to the crack! You have to basically sit on the floor and slide yourself under the foot pad so that it rests on your ASIS (hip bones) and the top of your shoulder blades rests where your thighs normally would.
          Awesome thank you - I'll be tyring this next leg workout! Now, if I can just get my glutes to pop like yours did at Team U, I'd be one happy camper!

Sporto
          IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
          Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• Keep doing what you do best Tim! You are an inspiration to all of us natties! I think its fantastic that you're going to compete on an IFBB stage! I think you'll do more than hold you own and may suprise some people!

Comment

• Thought I'd post on today's leg workout with my buddy Chris MacKenzie. I'm 9 weeks out from the AC Pro at 219.5 lbs., and he's 10 weeks out from the TU at 189 lbs..

Leg extensions:
              3 x 30 with 90 lbs.

Hack squats:
              started with one plate working up to six plates (six sets)

Walking lunges:
              135 lbs., 3 sets down-and-back on the basketball court

High-rep leg press:
              3 plates (per side)x 50
              4 plates x 30
              5 plates x 20

Lying HS curl:
              8 plates x 20
              10 plates x 15
              13 plates x 12
              15 plates (stack) x 10

Stiff legged deadlifts:
              135 lbs. x 15
              225 lbs. x 15 (2 sets)

Butt-clenchers:
              3 sets of 20 with stack

supersetted with Hip abductors:
              3 sets of 20 with stack

Hip adductors:
              3 sets of 20 with stack plus 45 plate

Not crazy weights today because my knee was hurting, but all in all still very intense. Tomorrow we're hitting shoulders at Diamond Gym, so I'll try to take some more pics.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Here's some pics from my Diamond Gym "field trip" this morning. Chris did back, while I did shoulders/bi's because my psoas was sore. What Diamond doesn't have in the way of fancy equipment it more than makes up for in atmosphere and aura. People there give respect to anyone who works hard, in contrast to most gyms where you get attitude if you put your weights down hard. Chris did some impressive lifts: dumbell rows with the 210's, and 315# deadlifts x 22 reps. Marlon Ballesteros was there getting ready for the North Americans, and I got two pictures with the posters I'm on this year.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Last edited by Tim Martin; July 12, 2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• question

#1 how many sets per bodypart #2 how many to failure #3 rep range #4 split

Comment

• Thanks

Tim, thanks for throwing up some of my pics and the vid.

For anyone on the MD forums, I will tell you that Tim trains harder than anyone I know, and keeps focus till the very last rep of the last set. He is also one of the strongest guys around, natural or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrismac365 View Post
                        Tim, thanks for throwing up some of my pics and the vid.

For anyone on the MD forums, I will tell you that Tim trains harder than anyone I know, and keeps focus till the very last rep of the last set. He is also one of the strongest guys around, natural or not.
                        Thanks for the props Chris. 10 more weeks buddy, no excuses and no regrets - time to get peeled!

Comment

• Originally posted by tornquad2 View Post
                          #1 how many sets per bodypart #2 how many to failure #3 rep range #4 split
                          At this point I train instinctively, having tried things like Max-OT, high volume, modified DC...

#1- Large bodyparts (quads, back, chest, delts) get somewhere between 16-20 sets, smaller ones (bi's, tri's, hams) between 9-12.

#2 - I usually use a pyramid scheme but keep most of my sets near or at failure. For example, if we're doing dumbell incline press, my first set is usually 80# x 20, then 100# x 15, 120# x 12, 140# x 8-10, 150# x 6-8. Warm ups to me are about getting blood in the muscle and getting your nervous system ready to handle some heavy weights, and doing light weights for low reps never made much sense to me.

3# - Rep range is also instinctive, but I try to get as much variety as possible. For example if doing biceps, I might do 20 reps on the standing cable curl and 8 reps of standing dumbell hammer curl.

4# - My split is:
                          Chest / Triceps (abs or calves)
                          Legs
                          Shoulders / Biceps (abs or calves)
                          Back (abs or calves)

I like this order because body parts like low back and front delts don't get hammered on consecutive days.

Comment

At this point I train instinctively, having tried things like Max-OT, high volume, modified DC...

#1- Large bodyparts (quads, back, chest, delts) get somewhere between 16-20 sets, smaller ones (bi's, tri's, hams) between 9-12.

#2 - I usually use a pyramid scheme but keep most of my sets near or at failure. For example, if we're doing dumbell incline press, my first set is usually 80# x 20, then 100# x 15, 120# x 12, 140# x 8-10, 150# x 6-8. Warm ups to me are about getting blood in the muscle and getting your nervous system ready to handle some heavy weights, and doing light weights for low reps never made much sense to me.

3# - Rep range is also instinctive, but I try to get as much variety as possible. For example if doing biceps, I might do 20 reps on the standing cable curl and 8 reps of standing dumbell hammer curl.

4# - My split is:
                            Chest / Triceps (abs or calves)
                            Legs
                            Shoulders / Biceps (abs or calves)
                            Back (abs or calves)

I like this order because body parts like low back and front delts don't get hammered on consecutive days.
                            Your run this split over a M T Th F roution or do you take days of as needed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
                              Your run this split over a M T Th F roution or do you take days of as needed?
                              I pretty much train around my work schedule, which prevents me from lifting on Mondays or Thursdays. Offseason it's Sat., Sun., Tues., and Wed., and precontest I try to add Friday, but it depends what I'm lifting because sometimes I'm just too tired by 7:00 p.m. to get a quality workout in.

Comment

• I was wondering another thing, when you did the keto diet where you flatter then a more basic diet with carbs in? I was thinking of going keto but im worried im gonna look flat and small the whole time on the diet. Im not doing a show so i really would like to stay some what full while leaning out.

Comment

Working...
                                X