Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I was wondering another thing, when you did the keto diet where you flatter then a more basic diet with carbs in? I was thinking of going keto but im worried im gonna look flat and small the whole time on the diet. Im not doing a show so i really would like to stay some what full while leaning out.
    The funniest thing about bodybuilding is that we've all been spoon-fed certain "truths" for so long that we believe them without question. One of these is that carbs make you look full. I'm not saying that carbs in your system won't pull a little more water in the muscles, but generally you won't see a big difference. For example, say I weigh in at 210 lbs. (zero carbs) with very little subcutaneous water and looking very lean. If I do a big carb load I might gain 3-4 lbs., but most likely will increase the fluid in my skin as well, so although I've added a whopping 1.5% to my total mass I'll most likely look worse.

It cracks me up every time I see guys post pictures with the caveat that they are flat because of lack of carbs. This is bodybuilding which means we all suffer from a little body dysmorphia! Looking flat is mostly in your head and you'll be much better off limiting your carbs and getting leaner.
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

• question

tim i notice you take in 450 grms of protein and 150 grms of fats during your pre contest this is more than dave says any reason and what difference did you notice

Comment

• Originally posted by tornquad2 View Post
        tim i notice you take in 450 grms of protein and 150 grms of fats during your pre contest this is more than dave says any reason and what difference did you notice
        When I switched to the keto diet last year I was already full swing into a diet that was higher in protein than Palumbo's version recommended. Rather than make too many changes that close to my show I decided to keep my protein where it was, and that version seemed to work for me. I think he also advises six meals daily, but I prefer 7-8. With any diet you have to find what works for you and your schedule.

I will say that it was a psychological challenge to completely eliminate carbs, but after reading up on ketosis I felt comfortable with that approach and after about 3 days that fear was gone.

Comment

• Looking hyoooge as usual Tim! Thanks for posting up the deadlift video of your boy Chris. Definitely motivating me for high rep deadlift day on Saturday. As I have told you before, you are an inspiration to the naturals. Keep it up!
          WNBF PRO, TRAINER & GYM OWNER - www.BeyondLimitsTraining.net

Comment

• Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
            The funniest thing about bodybuilding is that we've all been spoon-fed certain "truths" for so long that we believe them without question. One of these is that carbs make you look full. I'm not saying that carbs in your system won't pull a little more water in the muscles, but generally you won't see a big difference. For example, say I weigh in at 210 lbs. (zero carbs) with very little subcutaneous water and looking very lean. If I do a big carb load I might gain 3-4 lbs., but most likely will increase the fluid in my skin as well, so although I've added a whopping 1.5% to my total mass I'll most likely look worse.

It cracks me up every time I see guys post pictures with the caveat that they are flat because of lack of carbs. This is bodybuilding which means we all suffer from a little body dysmorphia! Looking flat is mostly in your head and you'll be much better off limiting your carbs and getting leaner.
            I think you just convinced me to go keto! Ive been trying to diet with any where from 80-150g of carbs in (depending on what and if i was training) and i feel like shit lately. How was your strength?? Any change?

Comment

• Hey Tim,

I know you've posted what your diet entailed while on the "keto off-season" plan. What does your diet look like now as far as each meal during the day while on the keto diet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
                I think you just convinced me to go keto! Ive been trying to diet with any where from 80-150g of carbs in (depending on what and if i was training) and i feel like shit lately. How was your strength?? Any change?
                No loss of strength without carbs. IMO eating 80-150g of carbs per day will make you feel like you're starving anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_genetic_freak View Post
                  Hey Tim,

I know you've posted what your diet entailed while on the "keto off-season" plan. What does your diet look like now as far as each meal during the day while on the keto diet?
                  It's posted on the "Diet" page on: http://protimmartin.com

Comment

No loss of strength without carbs. IMO eating 80-150g of carbs per day will make you feel like you're starving anyway.
                    Yea im a hardcore endo. I needed to go (P/C/F) 250/150/50 to get fat loss going. If i hit a wall i was gonna have to go keto anyway i figured. Is it weird that a main reason i want to go keto is so i can have a sunday cheat meal....lol. Thanks for you advice Tim, you are a true role model to the sport!!

Last question, did lowering your carbs and keeping fats higher in the off season keep you leaner??

Comment

Tim incredible video, Chris is one strong mofo. Its crazy watching you guys work out in the gym, especially ours with all the average joes and nobody who could give a care about bodybuilding. You two guys still push the limits and train harder than most. Great lifts Chris, really, really impressive. Awsome form.

Originally posted by chrismac365 View Post
                      Tim, thanks for throwing up some of my pics and the vid.

For anyone on the MD forums, I will tell you that Tim trains harder than anyone I know, and keeps focus till the very last rep of the last set. He is also one of the strongest guys around, natural or not.
                      I can also attest to that, have worked out with/watched Tim work out many times and I can definetly say he is no chump, and no stranger at all to heavy heavy weight. For those who don't believe these guys are natural if you could only see the work they put in to get where they are, I have only been in the same gym as these two for about 6 months and I can see already how they got to where they are at. No cheating, no pussy footing around just heavy weight and teeth clenching lifts.

All the best.

www.allnaturaloptions.com
                      www.allnaturaloptions.com - Natural Bodybuilder - Train hard, train harder.

Comment

• Chris and I worked out at Apollon Gym this morning. This was my first time there, and although it didn't look that impressive from the outside it had a good hardcore vibe once inside. Owners Rob and Irena were nice hosts, and unfortunately we missed Dorian Yates who was coming in soon after we left. This is an old-school gym that opens up the overhead doors on nice days, but unfortunately for us today is 90 degrees and humid here in Jersey. My back workout was as follows:

Icarian wide grip pull-downs:
                        150# x 20
                        200# x 20
                        250#(stack) 2 sets of 15

Deadlifts:
                        135# x 12
                        225# x 12
                        315# x 10
                        405# x 8
                        495# x 6
                        585# x 1 (should have done another one but I need new Versa-Grips)

Barbell rows:
                        225# x 15
                        315# x 10 or 12
                        365# x 8

Dumbell Rows:
                        160# 3 sets of 12

Hammer Strength seated rows:
                        3 plates x 15
                        4 plates x 15
                        5 plates x 10
                        3 plates (two handed) x 15

Pull-ups:
                        3 sets using varying grips x 10-12
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Tim Martin; July 17, 2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Nice pics Tim, you should consult your photographer buddy to get some good shots of the two of you.... just sayin...
                          www.allnaturaloptions.com - Natural Bodybuilder - Train hard, train harder.

Comment

• Eight weeks left until the Atlantic City Pro and my bodyweight today is 221.5 lbs.. This prep started slower than last time, but I feel like I'm slowly catching up to where I should be at this point. Here is a back shot I took today:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• When your running a keto diet do you count the protein in peanut butter, the fats is chicken, ect. Or is a fat source just counted as a fat source, protein source as a protein source??

Comment

Working...
                              X