Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by treetrunklegs View Post
    Tim .. your a great inspiration my brother. Quick question, i have done a few shows and each time my legs just struggle to really lean and dry out. The size is there and the rest of my body comes in great. I heard a few people say something about having too much estrogen as a natural athlete and being 23, have you heard anything about that? I am a bit skeptical myself .. if not what have you done to really bring out your legs?
    First, your legs look great in your avatar. Having proportionally big legs like yours can be a double edged sword in that they grow easily but are often difficult to get detailed. My first thought is to just force yourself to diet longer and bring your body weight down even further. We all have stubborn body parts that take longer to cut up then others, and part of competing is doing what it takes to make sure those details are visible before getting on stage. Regarding high estrogen - if that is a concern of yours just go to your primary care physician and ask for bloodwork, but I doubt that's the problem.

I guest posed down in Baltimore yesterday and had a good time. It was a small show that ran quickly so I was able to drive home without staying in the hotel. I have to say I am a little uncomfortable in the role of being the featured attraction, but really felt great that so many people approached me and told me they appreciated what I have done in my bodybuilding career. I tried the new Jan Tana product "Ultra", but didn't think it was much different from the Competition Color which I like (I only did one coat). My weight was about 223, and they had a Bod Pod at the show which said my bodyfat was 11 percent which calculates about right in terms of lean mass. My offseason plan is to continue with cardio 3-4 days per week at 20 minutes to keep the fat in check and as always try to add thickness to my physique.
    Attached Files
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

• Sounds good man, that is very much appreciated. I was a bit skeptical about the estrogen thing, so thanks for clearing it up. Next time around will have to be a longer diet. You look great at 220 brother, keep it up.

Comment

• Tim did a phenominal job guest posing at my show this weekend! VERY VERY friendly-respectful- and amazing physique/human being

Your words of encouragement at the mic after the posing routine was inspirational and you were a perfect choice!!

Keep representing TIM-you inspire many~

JOHN PUSKARICH
        NPC PROMOTER of BWI "Metropolitan" and BWI "Nationals"
        NPC Competitor
        Dad

Comment

• When to cut your fat out

Matt, when do you cut you fat out of your diet before you start carbing up, or do you keep them in till you start eating them?

My last show I left them in till the day before the carb load started, my legs did not come in till the day after, but my upper body was hard and dry, do you think by cutting all the fat out a day or so would be better? This way I would be depleted alittle more. Thanks for any help.

Comment

• Thanks Tim

I wanted to share my gratitude for the information you share in this forum. I am a life time Natural myself. When I found your forum I was encouraged that as a Natural I could be very competitive. I followed your Keto Diet "Off Season" for 12 Weeks and then switched to the Keto No Carb for 12 Weeks to get ready for my show. I was very happy with the results of my physique and the results of the show. I won the NPC Typhoon Bay (Natural) Heavy Weight Class as well as the Overall. I also came in 2nd Place in the NPC Hurricane Bay Light Heavy Weight Class. It was a good show.

I have a question. On Saturdays with the refeed meal of Pizza I feel full and vascular (Muscles). I was full on the day of the show, but did not feel as full as I do after the Pizza. Have you ever tried pizza on the day of the show or anything equivalent? What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks Again for sharing information.

Comment

• Originally posted by slyfox0507 View Post
              I wanted to share my gratitude for the information you share in this forum. I am a life time Natural myself. When I found your forum I was encouraged that as a Natural I could be very competitive. I followed your Keto Diet "Off Season" for 12 Weeks and then switched to the Keto No Carb for 12 Weeks to get ready for my show. I was very happy with the results of my physique and the results of the show. I won the NPC Typhoon Bay (Natural) Heavy Weight Class as well as the Overall. I also came in 2nd Place in the NPC Hurricane Bay Light Heavy Weight Class. It was a good show.

I have a question. On Saturdays with the refeed meal of Pizza I feel full and vascular (Muscles). I was full on the day of the show, but did not feel as full as I do after the Pizza. Have you ever tried pizza on the day of the show or anything equivalent? What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks Again for sharing information.
              Congratulations, I'm glad I could help with your success in some way. I know when I started I had wished there was more information available, and by sharing exactly what I do I hope young competitors can have the confidence to give it a try.

What you say about looking great after the refeed meal is true, I experience the same thing. However, I do draw a distinction between looking full and vascular versus looking separated. While having that full and veiny look after a big meal might look great in your bathroom mirror I think a drier, more "cut" look is better on the stage. I fell victim to this in September as I dehydrated to make the 202 limit but wanted to fill back up for the prejudging. After I weighed in (Thursday night) I had a Hooters meal of a hamburger and fries drinking plenty of fluids. My plan was to taper off the fluids starting Friday morning but continue with the carbs all day. Although my weight went up 8-9 pounds, I lost that crispness and appeared watery on stage. Timing is everything, and to put so much effort into dieting only to screw it up at the last minute is a bitter pill to swallow.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbossman View Post
                Matt, when do you cut you fat out of your diet before you start carbing up, or do you keep them in till you start eating them?

My last show I left them in till the day before the carb load started, my legs did not come in till the day after, but my upper body was hard and dry, do you think by cutting all the fat out a day or so would be better? This way I would be depleted alittle more. Thanks for any help.
                I never cut the fat before my carb-up, but by no means am I an expert! I think a good strategy would be to try a couple of "trial runs" in the weeks leading up to the show to see how your body responds. Try to take pictures in exactly the same lighting and evaluate your results.

Comment

• Thanks. That does make sense now that you mention it. Thanks again.

Comment

• Tim as a seasoned and expirienced athlete can you give me your thoughts on

A) overtraining, I feel like I should have been but only symptom is weakness in my leg muscles when walking othervise I still squat and run like crazy, I sleep eat and have motivation but yet I feel like a sane urge in my head to take time off

B) I also practice martial arts so it is important for me to throw in some cardio on top of my workouts at the gym how long would it take for my body to reset myself if I stop cardio is 2 weeks enough to begin again at a much lower level and still get cardio fat control benefits (I am not planning on copetition anyways just for good mood and more or less visible abs and controlling the waist line)
                    Biotivia Supported Athlete/Biotivia Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by sugardaddy69 View Post
                      Tim as a seasoned and expirienced athlete can you give me your thoughts on

A) overtraining, I feel like I should have been but only symptom is weakness in my leg muscles when walking othervise I still squat and run like crazy, I sleep eat and have motivation but yet I feel like a sane urge in my head to take time off

B) I also practice martial arts so it is important for me to throw in some cardio on top of my workouts at the gym how long would it take for my body to reset myself if I stop cardio is 2 weeks enough to begin again at a much lower level and still get cardio fat control benefits (I am not planning on copetition anyways just for good mood and more or less visible abs and controlling the waist line)
                      A) Funny you should ask that. About a month out of the AC Pro I increased my training frequency from 4-5 days per week to 6-7 (I follow a 4 day split). While my strength and motivation remained high, what I noticed was that I began having more injuries - bicep strain, hamstring tear, even a finger sprain from gripping the leg press seat too hard! Last week I started to force myself to take a rest day at least every 4-5 days, sometimes more. I think overtraining manifests itself differently for everyone, so I guess just look for unusual symptoms in your own training.

B) I don't count cardio in the "overtraining" equation. I think cardio can easily be done every day with no risk of negative effects. Personally I do 60 minutes daily throughout my contest prep, and this offseason I've been doing 20 minutes 3-4 days per week.

Comment

• offseason diet questions

Hi Tim...

Have you changed your offseason diet much recently this offseason? or are you still following your offseason keto approach that you detailed previously in the thread?
                        Are you still taking in multiple shakes throughout the day? and counting it as your meals? Have you ever used whole foods instead of the protein shakes? I know protein shakes are very handy especially when you work throughout the day and don't have time take in solid meals..

Are you considering entering the IFBB NY pro show in 2010? or the pro show in CT? I think it is in Bridgeport.. I don't know the date however...

talk to you soon!

Perhaps I will see you at one of the shows in Jersey or NY that are coming up in the next few weeks.

all the best.

Ivor

Comment

• Originally posted by 5thAveGym View Post
                          Hi Tim...

Have you changed your offseason diet much recently this offseason? or are you still following your offseason keto approach that you detailed previously in the thread?
                          Are you still taking in multiple shakes throughout the day? and counting it as your meals? Have you ever used whole foods instead of the protein shakes? I know protein shakes are very handy especially when you work throughout the day and don't have time take in solid meals..

Are you considering entering the IFBB NY pro show in 2010? or the pro show in CT? I think it is in Bridgeport.. I don't know the date however...

talk to you soon!

Perhaps I will see you at one of the shows in Jersey or NY that are coming up in the next few weeks.

all the best.

Ivor
                          Hey Ivor -

My diet right now is pretty similar to the off-season diet listed on my website, although I might be taking in a little less fat and a little more carbs. For convenience I switched to egg-beaters for breakfast which I think have 42g protein. I wish I could use no shakes, but the nature of my job forces me to use them for expedience. On weekends I try to get most of my calories from real food. Also, because I am with Muscletech/Six Star, they send me $1000 of supps per month, so in reality I save a lot of money by using shakes.

The 2010 IFBB schedule came out this week, and what looks good to me right now are the Europa in Orlando, FL in April and then the New York Pro in May. Part of my contract pays travel expenses to the show so I might as well go somewhere good. A lot can change in a year but my goal right now is to get on stage in the condition I know I can achieve regardless of whether it's a 202 or open show.

I'm excited to be hitting full off-season stride right now as my strength is on the upswing. Last night I deadlifted 585 for four, so I think my goal this year is to get seven plates. One thing I've been trying to do is to establish more "feel" in most movements. For example, I'm trying to increase my extension on chest pressing movements to feel the inner pecs working, and on isolation motions use a more deliberate pace to feel it more in the muscle bellies. I've been at this for 21 years now, but I still get the feeling that each year is a new opportunity to create change and make improvements in diet, training, and eventually the final product.

Comment

• Tim why is that bb's do not eat fruit I am looking at your diet and nada.

What about the whole ph correctness of our bodies and how healthy fruits are, no youghurt no fruits?

I am not competitive and if I ever decide to run I will continue with fruit and youghurt, is it hurting my physique that much or is it ok to consume fruits?

I am kinda confused as I would like to balance healt and fitness.
                            Biotivia Supported Athlete/Biotivia Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by sugardaddy69 View Post
                              Tim why is that bb's do not eat fruit I am looking at your diet and nada.

What about the whole ph correctness of our bodies and how healthy fruits are, no youghurt no fruits?

I am not competitive and if I ever decide to run I will continue with fruit and youghurt, is it hurting my physique that much or is it ok to consume fruits?

I am kinda confused as I would like to balance healt and fitness.
                              You're right that fruits would be a good addition to an off-season diet, and I'm trying to include them more. Precontest they are still off limits, and I don't know anything about "ph correctness" - what's that?

Comment

• I'm trying to increase my extension on chest pressing movements to feel the inner pecs working,
                                Hey Tim! First off, Im a huge fan, and you're a true inspiration to us natural bodybuilders. I'm still very young in the sport of bodybuilding, but I agree with your above post that it's really important to feel the muscles working, not just working the weight, etc. I saw that you were trying to hit your inner pecs more. I had shoulder surgery that forced me to only be able to work out one half of my upperbody for a few months. I found that doing one arm machine flys were really good at hitting my inner pec. It was more beneficial then doing regular flys because my ROM could could go further since my hands were not hitting in the middle. I'm not sure if exercise science professionals would agree with what I was doing was actually hitting my inner pecs more. But the feel was there, and thats what counted for me. If you haven't given one armed machine flys a try, maybe consider it!

Good luck on an awesome offseason can't wait to see you on the IFBB pro stage!!

Comment

Working...
                                X