Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northman69 View Post
    Hey what's your bulking split?
    My split is as follows:

LEGS
    CHEST / TRICEPS
    BACK
    SHOULDERS / BICEPS

Abs or calves are alternated every workout except legs. Precontest I lift five days per week, and off season I shoot for four, but often it turns out to be five because I'm neurotic . As for rep schemes, I really go by instinct. For example, this was my leg workout today:

Leg extensions (warm up)
    3 sets of 30 reps at 90 lbs.

Squats - I'm just getting back into these slowly due to lower back pain, and I was really happy because they felt great.
    pyramid 135 x 20, 225 x 20, 315 x 15, 405 x 12

Leg press - I think it's an IBS(?) machine - really heavy!
    4 plates per side x 30, 5 plates x 30, 6 plates x 20, 7 plates x 15, 8 plates x 10

Lunges - today on the smith machine because the basketball court was busy
    135 x 15 each leg, 225 x 10 each leg for two sets

Lying hamstring curls
    100 lbs. x 20, 150 (stack) x 12 for three sets

Standing hamstring curls
    100 lbs. x 15, 120 (stack) x 10-12 for three sets

Usually I'll do stiff leg deadlifts, but I'll be doing regular deads on my back workout this week so I skipped them. Also, today I guess my reps were kind of high, so next week I'll probably choose machines where my heavy set might only get 6-8 reps. Additionally, precontest I usually include some kind of direct glute movement, but skipped it today because of the lunges. I'll either do adductor / abductor machines, where I'll keep my hips elevated on the abductor to focus on the gluteus medius, or I lie face up on the prone leg curl and put the pad over my hips and do bridges which I feel really carve in the glutes.

So to answer your question, my split stays pretty consistent, but right now I guess I'm still precontest until I hear about Bahrain. When the off season "officially" arrives the only change will be to try to lift maximal poundages.
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

I just wanted to drop in and congratulate you on your Team Universe win. I would also like to wish you the best at the World Championships in November.

Tim here is my question: Skip LaCour is the only athlete on the list of Team Universe competitors with multiple wins. Do you see yourself remaining in this competition, Team Universe, and the World Championships such as LaCour and Raymond going for another Overall victory or are you moving directly into the IFBB pursuing Pro competition?

-Matt Cena

Comment

Originally posted by Genetix View Post
        I just wanted to drop in and congratulate you on your Team Universe win. I would also like to wish you the best at the World Championships in November.

Tim here is my question: Skip LaCour is the only athlete on the list of Team Universe competitors with multiple wins. Do you see yourself remaining in this competition, Team Universe, and the World Championships such as LaCour and Raymond going for another Overall victory or are you moving directly into the IFBB pursuing Pro competition?

-Matt Cena
        Thanks Matt. Skip and Kai won two overalls each, while Jose, Chris and others won overalls as well as multiple class wins. My understanding is that sometime around 2000 the NPC made the show a pro qualifier so that overall winners wouldn't keep coming back and create a kind of "log jam". For years winning the TU was the ultimate achievement in drug-free bodybuilding, and because there was no where else to go (unlike the USA's or Nationals) the winners just kept coming back.

Personally, I'm satisfied with a goal achieved, and hope to be able to compete at the Worlds. After that I still haven't totally decided. You know as a competitor the sacrifice and motivation required to compete, and returning to the TU wouldn't provide that for me. Realistically I know it would be a huge challenge to repeat, but even if I did I think the pay off would be diminished compared with this year. That leaves me with the IFBB pro league. I'm too heavy and too tall to compete in the under 202. I looked at the Atlantic City Masters pictures and probably wouldn't be competitive, so I might as well do an open IFBB show like the New York Pro if I do decide to compete.

At this point I'll probably never win another show, but I still think I'm improving as a bodybuilder and love a new challenge. Also, I just like to train, and I"ll always need a goal to shoot for.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
          Thanks Matt. Skip and Kai won two overalls each, while Jose, Chris and others won overalls as well as multiple class wins. My understanding is that sometime around 2000 the NPC made the show a pro qualifier so that overall winners wouldn't keep coming back and create a kind of "log jam". For years winning the TU was the ultimate achievement in drug-free bodybuilding, and because there was no where else to go (unlike the USA's or Nationals) the winners just kept coming back.

Personally, I'm satisfied with a goal achieved, and hope to be able to compete at the Worlds. After that I still haven't totally decided. You know as a competitor the sacrifice and motivation required to compete, and returning to the TU wouldn't provide that for me. Realistically I know it would be a huge challenge to repeat, but even if I did I think the pay off would be diminished compared with this year. That leaves me with the IFBB pro league. I'm too heavy and too tall to compete in the under 202. I looked at the Atlantic City Masters pictures and probably wouldn't be competitive, so I might as well do an open IFBB show like the New York Pro if I do decide to compete.

At this point I'll probably never win another show, but I still think I'm improving as a bodybuilder and love a new challenge. Also, I just like to train, and I"ll always need a goal to shoot for.
          why dont u just compete in the natural pro ranks.. like the wnbf or ocb?

Comment

lol at the wnbf. been there, done that, Tim?

what type of "diet" do you follow after a contest?
            A lot of people believe there is a rebound type of effect and its a great time for growth.
            Troponin Nutritionist

Comment

You took the words right out of my mouth, Brian.

I do believe in the anabolic window directly following a contest. Every year I make plans to gorge myself into a coma after the show during the last few weeks, and every year I eat crap for one day and get right back on the healthy eating wagon. This year is a bit different in that I'm not sure if I'm still dieting for a show currently, so I'm just trying to fill out a bit until I get word, then it's right back on the keto diet. Either way, I think eating more quality calories can only have a positive effect in stimulating growth and metabolism, so when carbs get eliminated the furnace will be stoked.

As for an off season plan, my goal every year is to try to be at a bodyweight about five pounds more than the previous year at relatively the same bodyfat. As I said before this past year was the first time I did cardio all off season and had my most growth in years. Surprisingly, even with all of that cardio, I was heavier during the winter but stayed leaner than in the past. I kept frequent body weight measurements on my "bodyspace" page, so you can see the trend over the past two years.

Comment

Would you mind posting your bicep and tricep workouts and also what type of cardio do you do and on what machine(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Genetix View Post

-Matt Cena
                  Actually, Kai Green has one multiple times as well, I believe.

Comment

you've added a pretty good amount of carbs tim, how has your body responded to it??

Next week ill be coming off a keto diet for the first time in 16 weeks and was thinking about how to introduce the carbs back into my diet, because I DONT WANT TO GET FAT!! especially after all that hard dieting I did.

So im just curious how your body reacted? Did u gain a bunch of water? Can u still see your abs?? Have u had any cheat meals yet!

Thanx in advance

Well, every year my opinion changes regarding what the best program is. I think every bodybuilder is always chasing that elusive key to the perfect program. Dietwise, since the ketogenic diet seemed to work so well for me I've shifted right into the standard off-season version (at least until we receive word about Bahrain). Here it is:

OFF SEASON KETOGENIC DIET

6:00 A.M
                    EGGS: 4 WHOLE/8 WHITE 52 g protein, 0 g carb, 22 g fat
                    1 CUP (DRY) OATMEAL 6g protein, 52g carb, 0g fat
                    TOTAL: 58 g protein, 52 g carb, 22 g fat

9:00 A.M.
                    6 OZ. CHICKEN 50 g protein, 0 g carb, 7 g fat
                    SPINACH SALAD 2 g protein, 5 g carb, 14 g fat
                    1 CUP BROWN RICE 4g protein, 43g carb, 0g fat
                    TOTAL: 56 g protein, 48 g carb, 21 g fat

12:00 P.M.
                    WHEY SHAKE 50 g protein, 3 g carb, 1 g fat
                    2 TBSP. PEANUT BUTTER 8 g protein, 6 g carb, 16 g fat
                    CUP OATMEAL 3g protein, 26g carb, 0g fat
                    TOTAL: 61 g protein, 35 g carb, 17 g fat

2:00 P.M.

5:00 P.M.
                    CUP OATMEAL 3g protein, 26g carb, 0g fat
                    TOTAL: 61 g protein, 35 g carb, 17 g fat

8:00 P.M. (POST WORKOUT)
                    1 SCOOP WAXY MAIZE 0g protein, 30g carb, 0g fat
                    TOTAL: 50 g protein, 33 g carb, 1 g fat

9:00 P.M.

2:00 A.M.
                    TOTAL: 58 g protein, 9 g carb, 17 g fat

DAILY TOTALS: 456 g protein, 308 g carb, 137 g fat
                    TOTAL NON WORKOUT: 406 g protein, 275 g carb, 135 g fat
                    TOTAL CALORIES = 4289 CALORIES (WORKOUT)
                    3948 CALORIES (NON-WORKOUT)

PERCENTAGES: PROTEIN=42%, CARBS=29%, FATS=29%

I tend to be almost as strict with off-season dieting as pre-contest, preparing my food in the morning and bringing what I need with me when I'm out. I've also stolen Chris Faildo's recipe for ginger chicken and steak from his new DVD. It's so easy and it always tastes good.

As for mentality, this is a huge part. Every bodybuilder has to believe that they are special. This year I did something else which may sound weird. I prefer to do my cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast, not only because I've been fasting but also because the time seems to go much faster for me at this time. I've built a "cardio gym" at home, with a treadmill, eliptical, and stairmaster all facing a TV/DVD. I'll usually put in a Mitsuri Okabe or Muscletime DVD with no volume and listen to the iPod. This year almost every day starting around July I'd listen to a chapter of "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. I know it sounds crazy but this helped me visualize what I wanted and to stay positive. Once I got past my skepticism and put the ideas to work it made me feel better every day and I found it to be true that a good attitude attracted good things to me, and it looks like the TU title is just one more of them!

Regarding training, off-season is just way more fun, an opportunity to build muscle by forcing your body to get stronger. I'll talk specific routines later, but always try to lift heavier weight forcing the muscle to grow. Again, stealing from Skip LaCour, focusing on a good "value", heavy weight with good form. Not sloppy with swinging and momentum, but not too strict either where you can't push the envelope and get forced reps and cheat a little at the end of a set.

Comment

flexingonsteele - From what I understand the mass building version of the keto diet adds 25-50 grams of carbs per meal. So far from my experience this has been easy to do, actually I'm still pretty hungry. My bodyweight is averaging around 215 now, and I still have good separation although my skin doesn't have that crazy thin look right now. I resumed cardio this past Monday, limiting myself to 20 minutes, and will bump that to 30 next week. Still waiting on word for the Worlds, so I'm just trying to stay full and lean until I hear, then shift back to the cutting version of the diet. I think by doing a few weeks of higher cals / less cardio that when I make the switch it will be dramatic like when I first went on keto four weeks out from the TU. As for cheat meals, I won't have any until I get back into ketosis, then it's one cheat meal per week, for me that means Saturday night at Pizza Hut (supreme deep dish all for me ), then an ice cream cone for desert!

vargasty - My workouts are very basic, I do biceps after shoulders and triceps after chest. My goal each workout is to hit the muscle from every possible angle, and if possible not repeat the same movements two weeks in a row. For example, tonight I did chest & tri's. I always start tri's with rope push downs to warm up my elbows. Here's what I did:

Rope push downs - 50 lbs. x 30 reps, 100 lbs. x 12 reps, 3 sets
                      Lying french press - I lie backwards on a flat bench and use an olympic bar. 4 sets at 135 x 12 - 15 reps
                      Seated dumbell overhead extension - 40 lbs. x 15, 50 lbs. x 15, 60 lbs. x 12, 70 lbs. x 10

So my goal was to do one exercise each with the shoulder in neutral, flexed 90 degrees, and flexed 180 degrees. For biceps it's the same, one at neutral shoulder, some type of preacher with the shoulder flexed, and some type of incline with the shoulder extended.

As for cardio, I do all of it at home before my first meal. I'll either use the Stairmaster (although I use this least because my legs are usually sore), the Eliptical on the 65% MHR setting, or most often the Treadmill keeping my heart rate at 120 bpm. For me this means 3.0 mph, starting at 15% incline, and gradually decreasing so that by the end of the hour I'm usually at 12%. Also, this should go without saying: never hold on to the treadmill!
                      Last edited by Tim Martin; September 17, 2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I thought this would be entertaining. Here are three photos from the 1996 ANBC New Jersey. I was 28 years old and probably around 180 pounds.

Getting back to Scoobysnacks' post. I've tried HIT cardio, probably like everyone else did when Skip LaCour and Jeff Willet made it popular on the old AST website. Unfortunately I was also doing HIT lifting, and dislocated my sterno-clavicular joint while getting ready for the 2003 TU, so I never got to finish what I started that year. For me, long-slow-duration cardio seems to work best because I can regulate the workload more accurately and make adjustments as needed.

As for the diets, I've tried them all and I think you just have to find what works for your body. That said, what works this year might not work next. You can't argue that JRod's high protein, moderate carb, low fat doesn't work, as he displays crazy separation. I did that all through my twenties and mid-thirties, and I was able to get pretty lean. I do believe that all those years of no fat dieting wreaked havoc on my hormone levels. About three years ago I went for bloodwork and found my total testosterone to be something like 260 (below normal range). I started adding fats to all my meals and six months later it was in the high 300's, still not great but at least in the normal range. I was still doing about 150 g of carbs for my contest diet, and it worked well for me last year. I did the same this year, but when the ketogenic diet seemed to be gaining popularity I became interested. Then when I did the NPC Master's Nationals and saw how lean Vinny Galanti was on that diet I asked for his help.

I switched to zero carbs four weeks before the TU and noticed a change after three days, my skin was thinner looking and I didn't really feel flat. I only wish I had tried this diet sooner, so at least that gives me something to look forward to for the IFBB. I'll copy/paste my exact diet.
                        I thought this would be entertaining. Here are three photos from the 1996 ANBC New Jersey. I was 28 years old and probably around 180 pounds.

This was nice/encouraging for me to see because we're about the same height and thats close to what I step on stage at--175. From those pictures its obvious you've come a long way and put on a lot of muscle!

I do believe that all those years of no fat dieting wreaked havoc on my hormone levels.

Uh oh, maybe I should start eating more "good" fats now!
                        Jeff Rodriguez
                        www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

My question to you is what was your protocol the final 2 days before the TU? as far as your water manipulation, carb depletion, carb load? What foods did you use to carb up? Thanks

Here's what I did, I'm assuming this keto final week approach is common knowledge. The main thing with any system is to have complete faith in the program. I had Vinnie Galanti tell me exactly what he did, and I'll tell you exactly what I did.

Two weeks out I cut all fat for three days (I already wasn't eating carbs on this diet). This is supposed to shed the final bit of fat from your body. I'll tell you that I felt absolutely horrible during those three days, I can't say if it was all physical or partly psycological. The next three days I returned to the normal keto diet. The next three day rotation I was supposed to eliminate fat again, but I didn't for three reasons: I did not notice any noticeable change in my conditioning, I felt horrible, and I think it takes my body a little longer than most to fill back out, so I stayed on the normal keto diet, and even included my normal "re-feed" cheat meal on Saturday (one week out). Since the contest was Friday night, I started a very mild carb load on Wednesday which consisted of three cups (cooked) white rice throughout the day. Thursday was a repeat of Wednesday, also making sure to keep my water and Sodium high, by high I mean my normal high with sea salt on all my meals and drinking a good amount of water (Crystal Light for me). Friday morning my first two meal were four whole eggs with 1 cup of white rice (cooked). Then about 11:00 A.M. I had one rice cake with one tablespoon natural peanut butter every half hour, and only sipped water if I needed to. I know for me that I pee a lot when I'm nervous, so this was plenty of time to dry out a little without flattening out. Friday night after prejudging I had a nice greasy diner breakfast (omelette, hashbrowns, and bacon) and drank plenty of water, then Saturday I simply repeated Friday's schedule.

Last year for my five contests I only carbed up late Friday night before Saturday morning prejudgings. By starting a very moderate carb up on Wednesay I was able to fill out a little more this year, and my weight at weigh-in on Thursday was seven pounds more than last year. I do think I've added some size over the past year with the changes I made all off season with cardio, diet, and training, but think that the earlier carb load had an effect as well.

Comment

Tim do you monitor your sodium at all during the show days
                            MorphogenNutrition.com
                            Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

I treat Sodium and water the same, and carbs exactly opposite. Basically, I want to catch my salt and water on the decline, and carbs on the incline, all before the hit their extreme and the body starts to overcompensate.

So with salt, I had been heavily salting all my meals for months. On Friday, even though I stopped adding additional salt, the eggs and peanut butter have plenty of Sodium, but I'm still creating a mild defecit. Same with water, I only limit water for about half a day so I never get severely dehydrated. With carbs, I try to gradually increase carbs without getting near spill-over.

If you look good one week out the goal should be to hopefully improve your fullness and skin thinness maybe five percent.

Comment

whatever you do Tim, keep it up brotha. You have a great career ahead of you and a long list of accomplishments behind you..
                                www.NJBodybuilding.com www.NPCNewJersey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X