Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim, how do you feel about carbs? Do you always keep them low/cycle/high? My body does not look good at all with high carbs. I think it might be stupid on my part but the only carbs I eat are from veggies and rice cakes only lol.

BTW....your looking great in those pics you posted. (crazy front delts)
    Though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you.

Comment

• Also, what do you think about sprints as cardio

Comment

• I've been doing very low carbs, basically a Paleo diet since the spring, and gradually cutting out fruit and replacing with vegetables. As I get closer to the goal I've been adding one high carb meal (or day) per week to fill back out. All along I've been doing HIIT cardio on the elliptical for 30 every weekday morning, and have added weekends as well as a 60 minute brisk walk in the afternoons when I can (pushing a double stroller).
        https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

• 3 weeks out from USBF Jersey Pro, 5 weeks from DFAC Pro Universe.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Legs look like they are coming in nice. How are you feeling on the diet? Whats your mind state looking like at this point in the prep

Comment

• Originally posted by Norway Power View Post
              Legs look like they are coming in nice. How are you feeling on the diet? Whats your mind state looking like at this point in the prep
              My "mind state" is pretty much the same as it has been for the past 17 years and 30+ contests:
              -Am I getting too small?
              -I'm not lean enough?
              -Am I eating the right macros?
              -What should I do the final week?
              -Should I cut calories/increase cardio?

And now I can add:
              -Am I getting too old?
              -Can I be competitive with my limited training schedule?

So basically I have a lot of insecurities, but I tell myself like I do each prep that these same insecurities are what will enable me to bring the package I need to bring to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Martin View Post
                My "mind state" is pretty much the same as it has been for the past 17 years and 30+ contests:
                -Am I getting too small?
                -I'm not lean enough?
                -Am I eating the right macros?
                -What should I do the final week?
                -Should I cut calories/increase cardio?

And now I can add:
                -Am I getting too old?
                -Can I be competitive with my limited training schedule?

So basically I have a lot of insecurities, but I tell myself like I do each prep that these same insecurities are what will enable me to bring the package I need to bring to win.
                Finally, finally! A pro who doesn't answer "I'm bringing my best package". Good, candid response.

Comment

• How do you find motivation to train all out after all of these years, what do you draw inspiration from Tim?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
                    How do you find motivation to train all out after all of these years, what do you draw inspiration from Tim?
                    I'm definitely one of those guys who trains with a chip on his shoulder. The gym is the easy part as most of us enjoy going balls out lifting weights. Where I really find my motivation to do the unpleasant things like cardio and dieting is fighting for my "piece of the pie" with regards to being in the elite group of natural bodybuilders. I've dealt with my share of "haters", both in the gym (always behind my back) and online, either saying I'm lying about being natural or simply that I suck ;-). Now at the tail end of my career I hope to be back on a drug-tested stage with basically the same package I've been bringing for the past ten years, proving that just because I chose to compete in the NPC/IFBB I've remained a natural athlete and chose to compete on my terms.

Comment

• 2 weeks out:
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Tim! You're bringing the nasty. As a lifetime natty myself,u r an inspiration..CRUSH these next couple weeks!

Comment

• ^ Thanks bud! Posting updates keeps me motivated and lets me enjoy the journey more than just the 20 or so minutes on stage.

Comment

• Tim, you look spot on! And NO! You are not getting too old! Lol

Comment

• Final report:

I did two "pro natural" shows in September, the first I was a little watery due to trying a three day "shit load" carb-up, the second I felt I was much tighter. In both contests I used DreamTan, mainly because that's what most competitors in the natural shows seem to use. I thought it looked very muddy on me, and in retrospect I should have simply used a normal posing gel. It's hard to be objective when analyzing your own physique, but looking at the photos I felt an argument could have been made that I should have won both shows. I ended up getting fourth place both times, and am still scratching my head about that. This is just my opinion, but I believe these natural organizations simply didn't want an established NPC/IFBB athlete doing well in their contests. At the end of the day I have pictures to document the condition and shape I brought to the stage, so where the judges in these organizations choose to place me really doesn't carry much weight in my perspective.

P.S.: A week before the second contest I dropped a 50 lb. dumbell on my left big toe and fractured it in three places. That final week was literally hell but I'm very proud that I finished my journey and stepped on stage with a good final product.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X