Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Joe! Joe is a bodybuilder from New Jersey who maintains two websites for our state NPC division.

NJNPC.org has some pics from my show which I think is pretty cool, and I host the "Natural Zone" on NJBodybuilding.com.
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

Well, we finally received notice today from the NPC saying the US team won't be sent to Bahrain this year due to safety issues. I'm very depressed about it as I had been of the mindset that we were going and had been planning accordingly, I even had my passport expedited last week.

So it's officially the off season for me - four donuts and an ice cream later! My plan is to follow the diet from the previous page, continue with twenty minutes of cardio every weekday morning, and allow myself to eat extras as long as I get my regular meals in. Training will focus on lifting heavier and probably decreasing the volume slightly.

Comment

Tim, do you believe in overtraining and have you ever experienced any signs of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
          I tend to be almost as strict with off-season dieting as pre-contest, preparing my food in the morning and bringing what I need with me when I'm out. I've also stolen Chris Faildo's recipe for ginger chicken and steak from his new DVD. It's so easy and it always tastes good.
          Hey tim, congrats on your win!

do you mind posting up this recipe?

thanks so much!
          P/RR/S AAEFX Board Rep www.AAEFX.com Pure. Potent. Drug-free.

Comment

I wouldn't mind posting it, but that wouldn't be fair to Chris Faildo. Do yourself a favor and purchase the DVD. It gives a good portrait of what is involved to achieve at the top level of our sport.

As for overtraining, I'm sure it's easily possible, but if you train each body part once every 5-7 days very unlikely. When I first started lifting I think we did upper body three times a week and I put 15 pounds on that first year. As I've gotten older I've paid more attention to recovery. My legs usually stay sore for 4-5 days after a workout, so the soreness alone tells me when they're ready to go again.

Comment

I wouldn't mind posting it, but that wouldn't be fair to Chris Faildo. Do yourself a favor and purchase the DVD. It gives a good portrait of what is involved to achieve at the top level of our sport.

As for overtraining, I'm sure it's easily possible, but if you train each body part once every 5-7 days very unlikely. When I first started lifting I think we did upper body three times a week and I put 15 pounds on that first year. As I've gotten older I've paid more attention to recovery. My legs usually stay sore for 4-5 days after a workout, so the soreness alone tells me when they're ready to go again.
              How do you feel about a 3 on , 1 off high volume training program like this? I've read extensively that protein syntesis is complete and can't continue after 48 hours and this gives me over 72 hours before hitting the same muscle group. My only question is whether or not that testing was performed on trained or untrained athletes and wheter or not this would lead to over training?

Day 1.)- Back A.M. Biceps P.M.
              Day 2.)- Chest A.M. SHoulders/Triceps P.M.
              Day 3.)- Quads/Calves A.M. Hams P.M.
              Off
              Repeat

Comment

I'm sure it could be done, and I did two-a-days in 2001 and was happy with my look at those shows, but I also think it is a recipe for burn-out. I would bet that after a few weeks of this you'll dread going to the gym, especially if you don't have a contest on the horizon to keep you motivated. I think it's been shown that you can achieve very good results with a more conventional program, but that said everybody's different and this might work for you.

Comment

I'm sure it could be done, and I did two-a-days in 2001 and was happy with my look at those shows, but I also think it is a recipe for burn-out. I would bet that after a few weeks of this you'll dread going to the gym, especially if you don't have a contest on the horizon to keep you motivated. I think it's been shown that you can achieve very good results with a more conventional program, but that said everybody's different and this might work for you.
                  I have actually trained 6 days a week twice a day for 3 years. It doesn't burn me out but i am becoming serious about competing and want to have the best routine possible. I don't know if I am reading into it too much but all I ever hear about is overtraining and I definitly do not want to be, that is for sure. I'm sorry to bother you, I just want to get info from guys who really compete.

Comment

Aloha Tim, class act bro, thanks for not letting anyone know about that marination. I think this is why so many bodybuilders purchased the DVD.
                    Sorry to hear that the US Team will not represent. Have a great offseason and make sure to apply for that long awaited Pro Card.

Comment

Chris while your marinade recipe alone is worth the price of the DVD, I'd say it's your charisma and general badassery that sold all those DVDs for you
                      MorphogenNutrition.com
                      Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                        general badassery
                        thats some funny shit.

Tim, do you ever do cruise phases, similar to what Dante has people do with DC. For instance this week I said I was going to take a week off, but when Monday rolled around (after two days off for the weekend) I wanted to get back in there, but I still wasnt mentally right for the HEAVY training. So I just decided this week and next to do higher rep work, hit some exercises I havent done in a while, and just REALLY enjoy my time in the gym and not be so concerned with getting new numbers or more reps each week.

You ever do this, or am I just being lazy?

Comment

I'm neurotic, so no I don't "cruise". The only time that will happen is if I'm training around an injury where I'll go for feel instead of overload. Even when I drive to the gym and complain to myself that I'm just not feeling it, when things start rolling I always seem to have a great workout.

Back in the day when I tried the Max-OT system, they also advocated a recovery week every eighth week or so. I hated this week, even more so because on the first week back I always felt weaker and got incredibly sore.

I'm in full off season mode, eating 4500 clean calories a day. I've gained ten pounds since the contest and can feel my strength going up each workout. Yesterday I got to workout at the famous Diamond Gym in New Jersey. That place is about as bare bones as it can get, but you can feel the history and atmosphere when you walk in the door. Today was chest and tris, and the 150's felt like 100's on the incline bench which was crazy because I haven't used them in a while leading up to the show. I've always said that bodybuilding is about setting new goals, and now I'm training with the goal to not embarrass myself on an IFBB stage!

Comment

I'm neurotic, so no I don't "cruise". The only time that will happen is if I'm training around an injury where I'll go for feel instead of overload. Even when I drive to the gym and complain to myself that I'm just not feeling it, when things start rolling I always seem to have a great workout.

Back in the day when I tried the Max-OT system, they also advocated a recovery week every eighth week or so. I hated this week, even more so because on the first week back I always felt weaker and got incredibly sore.

I'm in full off season mode, eating 4500 clean calories a day. I've gained ten pounds since the contest and can feel my strength going up each workout. Yesterday I got to workout at the famous Diamond Gym in New Jersey. That place is about as bare bones as it can get, but you can feel the history and atmosphere when you walk in the door. Today was chest and tris, and the 150's felt like 100's on the incline bench which was crazy because I haven't used them in a while leading up to the show. I've always said that bodybuilding is about setting new goals, and now I'm training with the goal to not embarrass myself on an IFBB stage!

I train at Diamonds and I totally agree walking in there is like when a baseball player walks into Yankee stadium, when it comes to the history and knowing how many great champions have trained there.

Comment

lets talk pre-wo supplements, honestly it all makes my head spin a bit. I feel if nutrition is spot on in the offseason its not needed, now a drink with some beta alanine etc may help intensity so Im for that but all this other stuff, I dont buy into. What do you do?

Now its contest time, calories are lower, carbs are lower, etc., do you super supplement with BCAAs/EAAs prior/during your workout?

Thanks

Ss

Comment

Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                                lets talk pre-wo supplements, honestly it all makes my head spin a bit. I feel if nutrition is spot on in the offseason its not needed, now a drink with some beta alanine etc may help intensity so Im for that but all this other stuff, I dont buy into. What do you do?

Now its contest time, calories are lower, carbs are lower, etc., do you super supplement with BCAAs/EAAs prior/during your workout?

Thanks

Ss
                                Ss - I'm honestly not a huge supplement guy, but that may all change if I'm lucky enough to get some kind of supplement contract . Here's what I do for supps:
                                5:30 A.M.: 1 caffeine/ephedra with baby aspirin before doing cardio.
                                6:30 A.M. (with first meal) 1 Tbsp. each of BCAA, glutamine, creatine, Benefiber. 2 ounces of Mona Vie (except precontest), 1 each of multivitamin/mineral, B, C, E, Ca/Mg/Zn
                                4:00 P.M. :1 caffeine/ephedra. If I take this any later I can't sleep at night.
                                7:30 P.M. (offseason post workout): 50g whey isolate, 60g waxy maize, 1 Tbsp. each of BCAA, glutamine, creatine, Benefiber.
                                (precontest post workout):25g whey isolate, 1 Tbsp. each of BCAA, glutamine, creatine, Benefiber.
                                10:00 P.M.: 2 ounces Mona Vie (except precontest)

Steve56 - If you ever want to train at Diamond on the weekend shoot me an email, I really like weekend "field trips" to different gyms!

Comment

Working...
                                X