Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See you Saturday Joe. Chris, Kyle, and I will be expediting the Jersey. Hopefully I'll be feeling better because we plan on hitting legs at Diamond Gym after prejudging. You're welcome to come join us if you want!
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.martin.58958

Comment

• Here's a pic of me with HUUUUGE Kai Greene (former TU winner and WNBF pro ) He put on an awesome routine as usual. We tried to train legs at Diamond Gym in the afternoon, but I ended up doing a pussy workout because my ribs hurt so much. I'm going to get an X-ray tomorrow just to be safe.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Naturally Built View Post
        Well, I just got back from the gym where I injured my oblique doing deadlifts. I haven't really incorporated deadlifts in a few months, and tried wearing my 4 inch Inzer powerlifting belt that I usually use for that exercise. It definitely felt too tight, but I didn't have any tools to adjust it so stupidly I tried using it, and bam, I felt like someone stabbed me under my ribcage as soon as I picked up a moderately heavy set. So I'm sitting here with an ice pack wrapped around my side, hoping it isn't too bad. Injuries SUCK!
        Hi Tim. Just found this thread.

The EXACT same thing happened to me about 1.5yrs ago. Doing conventional deadlifts (i usually do sumo) wearing a thicker belt. Felt like something "popped" at the insertion of my lower lat (maybe oblique) into rib cage. It really feels like I broke a floating rib, but never got an x-ray. It still bothers me today, but it's relatively easy to train around this injury ....and it's slowly getting better.

Hope this heals up quick for you!

Comment

• Pomegranite juice huh? I hadn't heard of using that, I'll have to remember that one!

Sorry to hear about your injury. Injurys do suck! I agree, an In the Trenches Video would be awesome. Its very motivating to see true naturals like yourself training a full intensity! I wasn't very inspired by Flex's video. Light pumping workouts have never been part of my world!

Comment

• Hey Joel, thanks for the post. I didn't mean to sound like I was whining about injuries, I think we all deal with painful joints somewhere on our bodies at all times if you're training hard. I am thankful that all my problems pretty much started after my contest. I did tear my bicep in July, and almost quit on the prep at that point but I'm glad I didn't.

My gym bag right now is full of orthopedic supports for a variety of bodyparts including both knees, both elbows, left shoulder, and right ribcage. The pomegranite juice experiment was short lived - I didn't realize how expensive that stuff is. Right now I'm trying "Fruit a Vie" from Sam's Club, a MonaVie knock off. We'll see how that works.

I trained chest/tris this morning, and although I was alone I had a pretty good workout without any new aches and pains!

Incline dumbell presses:
            80# x 20
            100# x 20
            120# x 15
            140# x 10
            150# x 8

Hammer Strength flat press (the one where you lie horizontal):
            4 plates/side x 20
            5 plates x 15
            5 plus a 35 x 12
            5 plus a 35 & 25 x 10

Cable crossovers:
            50 x 15
            65 x 15 (2 sets)

Incline dumbell flyes:
            80# x 12
            90# x 10
            100# x 8

Rope push-downs:
            50# x 20
            100# x 12-15 (3 sets)

Olympic bar lying french press:
            135# x 12
            155# x 10 (2 sets)

Single arm dumbell overhead press:
            40# x 15
            50# x 15
            60# x 12
            70# x 9

I did a giant set of donkey calf raises on the hip sled (usually used for leg press):
            5 plates/side x 30
            4 plates x 20
            3 plates x 20
            2 plates x 30, using rest/pause technique to finish 100 reps total

Seated calf raise:
            2 plates x 20
            3 plates x 15
            4 plates x 10

After that I went tanning next store for the first time since the Team Universe - I hate being pale!

Comment

• lol I hate being pale too.

What's in the Fruit a Vie? Any acai?
              www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

• The "Fruit a Vie" claims to be mainly acai along with other dark berries, but just like "MonaVie" they don't list specific ratios. It's $17 a bottle compared with $27, so I'm gonna try it for a few weeks and see how my joints feel. Last January when I started drinking MonaVie my chronic elbow tendonitis went away, so we'll see...

Comment

The "Fruit a Vie" claims to be mainly acai along with other dark berries, but just like "MonaVie" they don't list specific ratios. It's $17 a bottle compared with $27, so I'm gonna try it for a few weeks and see how my joints feel. Last January when I started drinking MonaVie my chronic elbow tendonitis went away, so we'll see...

Hey tim, let me know how it goes, I was thinking about taking monavie. I have that same problem with both my elbows. Let me know how fruit a vie goes?
                  kiyoshimoody.com
                  *TEAM GENR8* genr8speed.com

Comment

• Wow and I thought it was just me, I've battled elbow tendonitis for years! I finally out lived it this past year knock on wood! I'm being careful not to aggrevate it again. I am going to try that fruit a vie from Sam's though, I'm a big believer in preventitive measures!

I've also read some good reports on a product called cissus, supposed to be great for the joints.
                    Last edited by mrky03; November 15, 2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiyoshi Moody View Post
                      Hey tim, let me know how it goes, I was thinking about taking monavie. I have that same problem with both my elbows. Let me know how fruit a vie goes?
                      What's up Kiyoshi? I got a glance at the new Ironman and saw that your boy Lonnie Teper bashed me a bit. You and I are still cool but he should go back to needlepoint or whatever he does . I'm hoping we still get the chance to represent in China next July and keep that thought with me everyday in the gym. Hope your training is going well, and have a productive off season.

OK, gotta get back to the UFC and hopefully watch Couture beat Lesnar...

Comment

• Originally posted by mrky03 View Post
                        I've also read some good reports on a product called cissus, supposed to be great for the joints.
                        What's cissus?

Comment

What's cissus?
                          I'm not too familiar with it myself but I found this info on True Protein's website.

500mg Cissus Quadrangularis Capsules that come 100 caps per container.
                          Cissus Quadrangularis (CQ), aka Veld Grape, is a houseplant used in Indian folk medicine to heal fractures (3, 4, 15, 16, 18, 20-23), and in other cultures to treat, for instance, gastrointestinal disorders (8-11) and even hemorrhoids(14). Cissus also has anti-oxidant and anti-microbial effects (2, 13), anti-inflammatory actions (8-10) including the reduction of tissue infiltration by immune cells(9), a hallmark of tissue injury, and similarly, analgesic (pain reducing) actions(14). CQ contains high levels of vitamin C and carotene(2) as well as the phytochemical quercitin(17), an anti-inflammatory(19), vaso-dilating flavanoid found in grapes(5), and beta-sitosterol(17), a cholesterol-based compound that also has anti-inflammatory(6) as well as immunomodulating (cortisol reducing) effects(1) and possibly the ability to reduce glucocorticoid receptor expression(7).

A study with beta-sitosterol demonstrated that this constituent of CQ reduced the stress on the immune system as well as the elevation in cortisol brought on by running a marathon(1), suggesting that beta-sitosterol and CQ may have an adaptogenic effect. CQ may also aid in body fat loss and improve related health parameters such as blood lipid profile. Oben et al.(12, 13) found that, compared to a placebo group, obese individuals taking CQ (600mg daily), with or without a formulation including green tea extract, lost bodyweight and reduced blood LDL ("bad") cholesterol, triglycerides and resting blood glucose. CQ also increased serotonin levels in the blood, which may have reduced appetite, as well as creatinine, suggesting that CQ may have an anabolic effect. (An increase in blood creatinine level suggests increased skeletal muscle mass(24, 25).) Studies of CQ's effect on bone growth also support the notion of CQ as an anabolic agent(3).

Supplement use
                          CQ has been studied with doses of 600mg extract / day. To aid in body fat loss, CQ could be taken with caffeine, tyrosine, green tea extract, BCAA's, and/or yohimbine HCL. Under the guidance of a physician, to improve blood lipid profile and/or blood glucose (and act as an anti-oxidant), green tea extract and alpha-lipoic acid could be supplement the diet, along with CQ. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and CQ both may help with tissue healing and inflammation, and reduce post-exercise muscle inflammation. Given its effects (see above) on reducing cortisol, possibly downregulating the glucocorticoid receptor, increasing muscle mass during periods of weight loss, as well as promoting bone tissue growth (or retarding its loss(16)), CQ may be helpful for athletes in heavy training who are trying to build or retain muscle mass. For this purpose, supplements such as creatine, glutamine, BCAA's (especially Leucine), HMB, a protein blend, waxy maize and of course an appropriate diet and exercise regiment could be combined with daily CQ supplementation. Likewise, CQ may be adaptogenic during highly stressful periods of training or after stressful events such as a marathon, and could be taken along with arginine alpha-ketoglutarate to assist in recovery.

Comment

• Hey Tim.

at how many weeks out did you stop the weekly cheat meal on dave's diet?

thanks and congrats on your Team U win.

Comment

• I used the Keto diet for about five weeks before the TU, and wish I had started it earlier. I kept the cheat meal in all the way to the show, which meant the Saturday before I was still going to Pizza Hut and downing a medium deep dish works pizza, family style breadsticks, and a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone for dessert all by myself! For some reason this was what I craved every week, so I kept it simple and just repeated it all the way to the show.

Since I've added carbs back in the diet I don't have anymore cravings, but can tell you dieting this way makes it EASY!

Comment

• Did you follow the basic diet Dave outlines or did you get him to customize one for you? I'm interested in trying this version of a low carb diet. I've used carb cycling for several years but I've never done a full blown keto diet.

Comment

Working...
                                X