Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Tim Martin Q&A

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Martin
    replied
    Happy New Year MD family! Hope everyone sets some big goals for 2010 and works hard to achieve them. I'm switching gears a little this year, focussing on my first powerlifting meet February 29th, then I'll pick a bodybuilding show to do after that - probably something early summer. A funny note with the powerlifting... I ordered a powerlifting singlet, actually the thinnest one they carried, but haven't been able to pull it past my lower thighs yet! I'm going to try some baby powder, plastic bags, and work gloves and see if getting this thing on is possible!

Leave a comment:

• bhman6
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Martin View Post
    I will Ben. I shot these on my iPhone and was surprised that they were decent quality. I had never video taped any lifts before, and have to say that I was embarrassed how crappy my form was!! I'll keep the phone handy to use as a tool to improve my technique.

double post

Leave a comment:

• bhman6
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Martin View Post
    I will Ben. I shot these on my iPhone and was surprised that they were decent quality. I had never video taped any lifts before, and have to say that I was embarrassed how crappy my form was!! I'll keep the phone handy to use as a tool to improve my technique.

cool thanks Tim

obviously your form wasn't too terrible if you managed to win the TU

Leave a comment:

• Tim Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
    great videos Tim keep 'em coming

Leave a comment:

• Tim Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by tornquad2 View Post
    what type of metabolism would you say you have fast-med-slow and do you feel that 2grms of protein is better than 1.5 i also notice to take in more fats than dave reccomends !!!
    I'd consider myself an ectomorph with a medium metabolism. I do everything I can to keep it going, including offseason cardio and 7-8 meals daily with even macro ratios. As for Palumbo's diet, remember that any plan is just that - a plan. You have to evaluate your response individually and make adjustments. THERE IS NO MAGIC FORMULA! You can get lean on any program provided you burn more than you eat.

On a side note, after listening to several interviews of George Farah's athletes I thought it was funny how they all said on his diet they "ate way more carbs and did less cardio". Something sounds funny here...

Leave a comment:

• bhman6
    replied
    great videos Tim keep 'em coming

Leave a comment:

• tornquad2
    replied
    question

what type of metabolism would you say you have fast-med-slow and do you feel that 2grms of protein is better than 1.5 i also notice to take in more fats than dave reccomends !!!

Leave a comment:

• Tim Martin
    replied
    iPhone fun...

Did shoulders/bi's this morning with Chris. It's rare that our schedules line up like this, but I'm appreciative when it happens. These vids are shot from my iPhone, giving me a reality check on form! He was a little late so I did more warm-ups than usual:

Icarian standing side laterals
    50# x 15

Icarian preacher bench
    100# x 15

Seated shoulder press
    135# x 20
    185# x 15
    225# x 15
    275# x 8
    225# x 12

Superset of barbell cleans with and an old school selectorized seated shoulder press where the hands come together at the top of the movement.
    135# x 10 cleans followed by 3/4 to full stack of 12 for two sets, then added presses with the cleans for the third set followed by machine presses.

Seated dumbell laterals
    40# x 15
    50# x 15
    60# x 12
    70# x 10

Reverse pec deck rear laterals
    4 sets 200# x 15, the last set with a drop to 100# x 15

Standing bicep curls on another old school machine with unilateral handles, plates loaded about halfway up the lever arm.
    1 plate each side (45#) x 15
    2 plates x 12
    3 plates x 8
    2 plates x 12

Incline bench hammer curls
    30# x 15
    40# x 15
    50# x 12
    60# x 10

Low pulley seated concentration curls
    30# x 15
    3 sets 40# x 12

YouTube- Seated shoulder press

YouTube- SeatedLateral60

YouTube- SeatedLateral70

Leave a comment:

• Tim Martin
    replied
    Here's Chris' squat of 455:
    YouTube- Chris squat 12-12-09
    Last edited by Tim Martin; December 12, 2009, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by BlakeSelby View Post
    Dear Tim,

Could you give us a little rundown of what your final few days before a contest looks like? (when you apply tanner, how your food changes (if it does), and maybe what you do right before you get onstage?) Thank you so much!

-Blake
    The final week is a crucial component in how you look on stage. That said, I think I've made every mistake imaginable over my career and have come to the conclusion that the fewer changes made from your normal routine the better. I try to stick with foods that my body is used to, and I also try not to go overboard with the amounts eaten.

One thing that I think may get overlooked in the final week is shaving. Shaving irritates you skin, so you need to be careful when you do it before the show. I generally will shave on Thursday morning for a Friday night or Saturday morning show (whole body), and if I need any touch-ups (chest) I'll use an electric razor - very gently - the morning of the prejudging. As for tanner, I've finally admitted to myself that Dream Tan hurts more than it helps, in that the lighting has to be perfect for it to look good, and lighting is something you have no control of, so a dark skin color and minimal use of sheen is what you should be aiming for. At the big NPC shows as well as the IFBB shows the "ProTan girls" are back stage applying last minute oil to the competitors free of charge. If these girls are at you contest, use them!!! They do all the top pros and have more experience than anyone out there regarding applying just the right amount of sheen to your physique (less is more). I like the Jan Tana competition color the best and usually will aim for three to four coats.

I did legs this morning with my buddy Chris Mackenzie. We are both aiming to compete in a powerlifting meet here in New Jersey in February, with Chris doing all three lifts and me probably only doing deadlift. We had a short and sweet workout this morning with my sets looking like this:

Leg extensions:
    Three sets of 30 reps, 100 lbs.

Yoke bar squats. The bar probably weighs between 80-100 lbs. by itself. I'm new to these, but they feel very comfortable. I videoed my heaviest set to check for form, so I know I need to go lower, but the weight still felt easy.
    1 plate x 15
    2 plates x 15
    3 plates x 12
    4 plates x 12
    5 plates x 12

Leg press
    4 plates x 20
    6 plates x 20
    8 plates x 25
    Superset Hack squats - 1 plate x 30
    followed by Leg press 8 plates x 20, with a few plates stripped the last few reps.

Lying leg curls
    4 sets of 12 on the Strive machine at 12 plates

Seated leg curls
    4 sets of 15 at 10 plates.

Leave a comment:

• BlakeSelby
    replied
    Dear Tim,

Could you give us a little rundown of what your final few days before a contest looks like? (when you apply tanner, how your food changes (if it does), and maybe what you do right before you get onstage?) Thank you so much!

-Blake

Leave a comment:

• BlakeSelby
    replied
    Dear Tim,

-Blake

Leave a comment:

• RoadPigJohn
    replied
    Thanks Martin for sharing your experience, I'm going to stay competing in the NPC and do my best to get a qualification for a National or Jr/National level competition.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RoadPigJohn View Post
    Hi. Tim!

I been amaze about good you look, you are an example and an inspiration for us trying to make a name for ourself in this sport.

I wan to ask you a few things.

This year I got the experience competing in NPC shows in 9 of them (next saturday is my last contest of the year). So I want to try start competing in all the Natural bodybuilding shows I can for 2010 here in FL, why just in FL, because at the moment I can't affort the cost to travel to other states. So anyway I the beginning of this year I was schedule to do a Natural show but since it was too far from where I live, I decided to the NPCs, I got great experience from them and I think I'm more than ready to present my best shape in my next contest.

Since you been on the Natural shows what advice you can gave me about what federation to choose or anything like that.

I already saw some contest schedule for 2010 from MUSCLEMANIA, INBA, SNBF and OCB.

Thanks in Advance.
    One thing about me is that I have been around the block! I did a quick tally and here's where (and how many times) I've competed:

ANBC - 5
    NGA - 1
    Musclemania - 2
    INBF - 3
    WNBF - 6
    NPC - 15
    IFBB - 1

Obviously I believe the NPC is the best federation to compete in. I've been saying that for years, even before I won the TU. As for the others:

ANBC is now defunct.

NGA is still kicking around, although I don't hear much from them.

Musclemania has always been more about self promotion than athletic competition IMO.

INBF/WNBF have quality drug testing, although they have huge issues with their prohibitive rules. Also, just because you call a contest "Mr. Universe" or "World Championships" doesn't necessarily make it so.

I think the IFPA is making great progress. They seem to offer the most prize money and don't have such restrictive rules governing their athletes.

NPC is the benchmark of bodybuilding. Now with the internet they provide the greatest exposure, and that also means the most opportunity for it's athletes to profit from endorsements. They have the largest geographic coverage in the United States and require their judges to go through a screening process to qualify to serve on a judging panel.

In a perfect world the very best from each federation could come together and compete against each other to see where they really stand, but unfortunately either the particular organization prohibits this or the athlete feels some sort of allegiance to his individual federation. That's why in the past few years many of these champions have decided to leave these smaller groups and compete in the Team Universe.

I will continue to compete in the IFBB. I realize that I probably won't be really competitive but hope that I can still improve and might even turn a few heads in the process. If as natural bodybuilders we could take control of our sport and agree to compete in solidarity then I would give up my pro card to compete with the best drug-free athletes, but unfortunately I don't think this will be happening anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• RoadPigJohn
    replied
    Hi. Tim!

I been amaze about good you look, you are an example and an inspiration for us trying to make a name for ourself in this sport.

I wan to ask you a few things.

This year I got the experience competing in NPC shows in 9 of them (next saturday is my last contest of the year). So I want to try start competing in all the Natural bodybuilding shows I can for 2010 here in FL, why just in FL, because at the moment I can't affort the cost to travel to other states. So anyway I the beginning of this year I was schedule to do a Natural show but since it was too far from where I live, I decided to the NPCs, I got great experience from them and I think I'm more than ready to present my best shape in my next contest.

Since you been on the Natural shows what advice you can gave me about what federation to choose or anything like that.

I already saw some contest schedule for 2010 from MUSCLEMANIA, INBA, SNBF and OCB.

Thanks in Advance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X