Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Layne. I am getting ready to do my first INBF show. This will be my third show ever. My last 2 shows I dieted for 16 weeks and went from about 235lb down to 197ish both times and still came in smooth. I dropped steady and tried not to loose too fast because they say loosing too fast will cause muscle to be burned. This time I cut way harder, my carbs went down to 100-150g, I left my fat at 35g and pro. at 400g. I lost extremely fast (around 6lb per week) I am currently 5'10 210 and leaner than I was when I weighed 197. I still have 10 weeks to go. The only supplement change I made was adding leucine to my preworkout meal. Do you think its the leucine or does my body do better with loosing weight quickly?? I get fat EASY!!! Thanks bro.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellanelly View Post
      i was reading an article on bb.com and it said that the fats and cocoa are realyl good for testosterone levels. you havent heard anything about this???
      that is nonsense. you can't have your fats too low or test will drop that's true. but the notion that eating a bunch of bad fats is going to raise your test in a dose dependant manner is a dumb statement.
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnvil View Post
        Good question DEDICATE92 I was wondering about that as well. So when you take in a high dose of BCAA's the leucine not only drives higher rates of protein synthesis but what about insulin?

I asked this over in the science board but was curious on what Layne felt in more detail.

Question:

Is the high amount of leucine say 4-5 grams (out of 10Gs of a bCaa mix of 2:1:1) with the post-workout whey shake enough to cause an insulin spike to work as a carrier/transport for aminos, creatine, beta-alanine etc etc thus negating the need for high gi index carbs in the post workout shake?
        insulin responses are complex. when insulin is released in response to carbohydrates it is in 2 phases... the first phase is the release of stored insulin and about 15-20 minutes after that insulin rises again from produced insulin in the pancreas, in other words the insulin response is biphasic. The insulin response to leucine is only monophasic... only stored insulin is released, but the pancreas does not produce a secondary insulin response. Basically leucine only causes a release of stored insulin. Therefore i'd so no, it's not sufficient if you are looking for a decent insulin response
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by thagman View Post
          Layne, I'm curious as to how many hours of sleep you average per night. I usually only get 5-6 (due to law school and work). Obviously, it's best to get as much as one can, but do you think the aforementioned amount is hampering gains in any significant way?
          so long as you have enough energy through the day you are probably fine. i get 7-8 per night
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Onebignatty View Post
            Hi Layne. I am getting ready to do my first INBF show. This will be my third show ever. My last 2 shows I dieted for 16 weeks and went from about 235lb down to 197ish both times and still came in smooth. I dropped steady and tried not to loose too fast because they say loosing too fast will cause muscle to be burned. This time I cut way harder, my carbs went down to 100-150g, I left my fat at 35g and pro. at 400g. I lost extremely fast (around 6lb per week) I am currently 5'10 210 and leaner than I was when I weighed 197. I still have 10 weeks to go. The only supplement change I made was adding leucine to my preworkout meal. Do you think its the leucine or does my body do better with loosing weight quickly?? I get fat EASY!!! Thanks bro.
            leucine can help but if you are an endomorph then you may do better with a more aggressive diet. I still prefer longer diets... you just might not have been dieting aggressively enough during the long diet.
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              so long as you have enough energy through the day you are probably fine. i get 7-8 per night
              Thanks

Comment

• Do you think is a good BCAA??

http://www.nutrabio.com/Products/BCAA.htm

Comment

leucine can help but if you are an endomorph then you may do better with a more aggressive diet. I still prefer longer diets... you just might not have been dieting aggressively enough during the long diet.
                  Speaking of dieting, do you use a "fat-burner" throughout your diet or do you save it until later on down the road? Personally, I like to get myself in 'fat-loss mode' and save the thermogenics for the last 4-6 weeks (depending on where I am at).

Just curious on your thoughts and I have a sample of the Scivation Diene-4 (sp?) coming to me that I am looking forward to trying out.
                  www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                  www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hulk7280 View Post
                    Do you think is a good BCAA??

http://www.nutrabio.com/Products/BCAA.htm
                    looks fine to me
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by DEDICATE92 View Post
                      Speaking of dieting, do you use a "fat-burner" throughout your diet or do you save it until later on down the road? Personally, I like to get myself in 'fat-loss mode' and save the thermogenics for the last 4-6 weeks (depending on where I am at).

Just curious on your thoughts and I have a sample of the Scivation Diene-4 (sp?) coming to me that I am looking forward to trying out.

yea that's usually how i do it
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

• Fried legs

Layne,

Just wanted to let you know I killed my legs this morning . Started out with front squats and was visualizing you pounding out reps with your monster weight, ditto with hack squats -thanks for the motivation!!!
                          www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                          www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• ok i found this product that has

Each serving (3 tablets) contains the following:
                            900 mg. of L-isoleucine
                            1620 mg. of L-leucine
                            1080 mg. of L-valine

good enough?

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by DEDICATE92 View Post
                              Layne,

Just wanted to let you know I killed my legs this morning . Started out with front squats and was visualizing you pounding out reps with your monster weight, ditto with hack squats -thanks for the motivation!!!
                              No problem Ryan, glad you found it motivating. I can't watch vids of myself. I laugh, I think I look like an idiot. LOL. But all that huffing and puffing and talking to myself and what not... it just comes out when I get in the gym and it's just something that helps me get the most out of my workout. I know lifting weights isn't life or death, but before lifts like deads & squats, I have to convince myself that it's damn near life or death otherwise there is no way I'd be able to constantly push to the next level.

And yet... I still look like a hollering moron
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by ccc_javier View Post
                                ok i found this product that has

Each serving (3 tablets) contains the following:
                                900 mg. of L-isoleucine
                                1620 mg. of L-leucine
                                1080 mg. of L-valine

good enough?

thanks
                                the standard is a 2:1:1 ratio of leucine:isoleucine:valine. This prevents leucine causing a depletion of the other BCAAs. (in order to metabolize 2 leucine molecules you must metabolize a valine & an isoleucine). I forget the mechanism behind it though; guess I should read up on it before prelims
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X