Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • yeah, I'm not sure if it's just slow turnaround time or what not. They've printed one of my articles about 2 years ago; but the last 2 I sent in I felt were better. But it is what it is, just gotta keep plugging away.

    -Layne
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

    Comment


    • Layne, I gotta say, I used subscribe to MD, but I let my script run out. If they had a natty column written by you or Broser (or both!!!) I'd get a script today.
      TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
      www.fitcorps.net

      Comment


      • ha, if you guys want my stuff in there you need to let them know, that's how stuff gets done... popular demand
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

        Comment


        • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          don't get me wrong, i'll probably do another npc show at some point, just not now.

          you ever thought about doing a show with a pro natural org?
          I've thought about it before; but I really don't know enough about the pro natural organizations. Maybe one day. For now, though, I've got my sights set on the Team Universe.
          Jeff Rodriguez
          www.jrodfitness.com

          Comment


          • Layne I wanted to ask you about this here because it is less cluttered than the bodybuilding.com boards

            J Nutr. 2006 Jan;136(1 Suppl):234S-6S.
            Modulations of muscle protein metabolism by branched-chain amino acids in normal and muscle-atrophying rats.

            Kobayashi H, Kato H, Hirabayashi Y, Murakami H, Suzuki H.

            Applied Research Department, AminoScience Laboratories, Ajinomoto Co., Kawasaki, Japan. hisamine_kobayashi@ajinomoto.com

            It has been shown that BCAAs, especially leucine, regulate skeletal muscle protein metabolism. However, it remains unclear how BCAAs regulate muscle protein metabolism and lead to anabolism in vivo. We examined muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate simultaneously during BCAA infusion in muscle atrophy models as well as in normal healthy rats. Corticosterone-treated rats and hindlimb-immobilized rats were used as muscle atrophy models. Muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate were measured as phenylalanine kinetics across the hindlimb. In anesthetized normal rats, BCAAs stimulated muscle protein synthesis despite low insulin concentration and did not suppress muscle protein breakdown. In corticosterone-treated rats, BCAAs failed to restore inhibited muscle protein synthesis, but reduced muscle protein breakdown. Immobilization of hindlimb increased muscle protein breakdown within a day. BCAAs did not change muscle protein metabolism, although essential amino acids (EAAs) suppressed muscle protein breakdown in hindlimb-immobilized rats. We also evaluated changes of fractional synthesis rate (FSR) of skeletal muscle protein during infusion of leucine alone or EAAs for 4 h in anesthetized normal rats. FSR showed a transient increase at 15-30 min of leucine infusion and then declined, whereas FSR stayed elevated throughout EAA infusion. We concluded that

            1) BCAAs primarily stimulate muscle protein synthesis in normal rats independently of insulin
            2) EAAs are required to maintain the BCAA stimulation of muscle protein synthesis and
            3) The effects of BCAAs on muscle protein metabolism differ between atrophy models.

            Comment


            • Layne, My wife just finished a mild cut and wants to experiment with a maintenance diet. What would you recommend as a starting point for macros? (Pro/Cho/Fat) I was thinking 40/40/20 with carb cut off in the evenings and adjusting from there. Don't really have any logic for the macros. Just curious as to what you think. thx

              Comment


              • Layne, I'll send em' a message, hopefully you get a column due to popular demand. It'd be nice to see a natty column in MD. I remember waaaaay back when MD used to be pro-natty! Anyhow, i've got a question regarding carb counting. I am eating Trader Joe's High Fiber cereal, it's just wheat bran and a few other things in it, per serving it's got 23g of carbs, and 9g of fiber. Would I count that as 14g of carbs since the fiber doesn't actually count as carbs, or would it count as 23g regardless?

                Comment


                • Layne Norton - Testicular Fortitude (the work out dvd)

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SONOFMIKEMENTZER View Post
                    Layne Norton - Testicular Fortitude (the work out dvd)
                    yo mentzer impressive transformation. nice new avi

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Rzilla View Post
                      yo mentzer impressive transformation. nice new avi
                      thank you very much will be posting a new gallery when i have 'the goods' a.k.a definition!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Rzilla View Post
                        Layne I wanted to ask you about this here because it is less cluttered than the bodybuilding.com boards

                        J Nutr. 2006 Jan;136(1 Suppl):234S-6S.
                        Modulations of muscle protein metabolism by branched-chain amino acids in normal and muscle-atrophying rats.

                        Kobayashi H, Kato H, Hirabayashi Y, Murakami H, Suzuki H.

                        Applied Research Department, AminoScience Laboratories, Ajinomoto Co., Kawasaki, Japan. hisamine_kobayashi@ajinomoto.com

                        It has been shown that BCAAs, especially leucine, regulate skeletal muscle protein metabolism. However, it remains unclear how BCAAs regulate muscle protein metabolism and lead to anabolism in vivo. We examined muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate simultaneously during BCAA infusion in muscle atrophy models as well as in normal healthy rats. Corticosterone-treated rats and hindlimb-immobilized rats were used as muscle atrophy models. Muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate were measured as phenylalanine kinetics across the hindlimb. In anesthetized normal rats, BCAAs stimulated muscle protein synthesis despite low insulin concentration and did not suppress muscle protein breakdown. In corticosterone-treated rats, BCAAs failed to restore inhibited muscle protein synthesis, but reduced muscle protein breakdown. Immobilization of hindlimb increased muscle protein breakdown within a day. BCAAs did not change muscle protein metabolism, although essential amino acids (EAAs) suppressed muscle protein breakdown in hindlimb-immobilized rats. We also evaluated changes of fractional synthesis rate (FSR) of skeletal muscle protein during infusion of leucine alone or EAAs for 4 h in anesthetized normal rats. FSR showed a transient increase at 15-30 min of leucine infusion and then declined, whereas FSR stayed elevated throughout EAA infusion. We concluded that

                        1) BCAAs primarily stimulate muscle protein synthesis in normal rats independently of insulin
                        2) EAAs are required to maintain the BCAA stimulation of muscle protein synthesis and
                        3) The effects of BCAAs on muscle protein metabolism differ between atrophy models.
                        then I would like to see them explain Josh & Tracy Anthony's data showing that leucine alone will stimulate protein synthesis for about 2 hours.

                        -Layne
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by unoigo View Post
                          Layne, My wife just finished a mild cut and wants to experiment with a maintenance diet. What would you recommend as a starting point for macros? (Pro/Cho/Fat) I was thinking 40/40/20 with carb cut off in the evenings and adjusting from there. Don't really have any logic for the macros. Just curious as to what you think. thx
                          how old is she? how much weight did she lose? what were her macros when cutting?
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jianblaze View Post
                            Layne, I'll send em' a message, hopefully you get a column due to popular demand. It'd be nice to see a natty column in MD. I remember waaaaay back when MD used to be pro-natty! Anyhow, i've got a question regarding carb counting. I am eating Trader Joe's High Fiber cereal, it's just wheat bran and a few other things in it, per serving it's got 23g of carbs, and 9g of fiber. Would I count that as 14g of carbs since the fiber doesn't actually count as carbs, or would it count as 23g regardless?
                            contrary to popular belief, fiber SHOULD count. Fiber is not absorbed as a carb, however soluble fiber is fermented in the lower intestine and reabsorbed as short chain fatty acids and thus you still get almost ALL the calories from fiber. (it's about 3kcal/gram as oppossed to 4kcal/gram with carbs).

                            -Layne
                            BioLayne LLC
                            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              then I would like to see them explain Josh & Tracy Anthony's data showing that leucine alone will stimulate protein synthesis for about 2 hours.

                              -Layne
                              thanks, I take your word above theirs.

                              To play it safe i am thinking , primal eaa pre workout, with xtend + wms + whey (because i like it) post.

                              I may also add wms pre workout, because i hear that it high gi carbs stimulate protein synthesis even more pre workout than post.

                              Comment


                              • the other point to make is that unless you workout in the morning without eating, and you eat like a typical bodybuilder (eating frequently) there will NEVER be a point during the day where you don't have ample levels of EAA available to maintain synthesis
                                BioLayne LLC
                                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X