Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    creatine will still work and IMO will be very important as it will help pull fluid into the muscle cell which will likely have reduced fluid content due to the reduction in glycogen from the ketogenic diet
    Layne, do feel 4-hydroxyisoleucine, Taurine, & BCAA's taken with creatine would help the delivery since there are no carbs on the keto diet? Also, what about sodium...couldn't it theoretically increase delivery as well?
    TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
    www.fitcorps.net

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Supernothing View Post
      its a blended dry rolled oatmeal shake with whey. then an hour to 1.5 hours after that i eat a whole meal but with less carbs.
      sounds solid to me
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

      Comment


      • Originally posted by hossjob View Post
        Layne, do feel 4-hydroxyisoleucine, Taurine, & BCAA's taken with creatine would help the delivery since there are no carbs on the keto diet? Also, what about sodium...couldn't it theoretically increase delivery as well?
        isn't the whole point of a keto diet to keep insulin low? That's what all those guys seem to say (not that I agree that insulin is so evil) but if you were doing keto to keep insulin low... why take something that raises insulin
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

        Comment


        • Do you decrease training volume when your energy starts to get really low from contest dieting?

          Comment


          • layne would 10, 100yard sprints on a track (running straights and walking corners) be good hiit?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              isn't the whole point of a keto diet to keep insulin low? That's what all those guys seem to say (not that I agree that insulin is so evil) but if you were doing keto to keep insulin low... why take something that raises insulin
              I was reading in a different thread about glucose disposal agents. Now I admittedly have zero idea of what they accomplish. Clue me in and what's your take? The principle concept (in my mind) sounds a bit like playing with fire. If not could be a fantastic weight loss or anabolic aid.
              Assistant to the regional manager.
              Iron8 approved

              Comment


              • Originally posted by west View Post
                Do you decrease training volume when your energy starts to get really low from contest dieting?
                slightly
                BioLayne LLC
                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Rzilla View Post
                  layne would 10, 100yard sprints on a track (running straights and walking corners) be good hiit?
                  definately
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                    definately
                    10 is a good number?

                    and do you consume bcaa's when doing hiit?

                    Comment


                    • yea, try to work up over time. BCAAs during or after
                      BioLayne LLC
                      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                        isn't the whole point of a keto diet to keep insulin low? That's what all those guys seem to say (not that I agree that insulin is so evil) but if you were doing keto to keep insulin low... why take something that raises insulin
                        Honestly, I don't know...something I've battled with the 2 times I've done keto (this being 1 of them). Can insulin still be "signaled" post workout and used to "your" advantage on a keto diet? Or will that take you out of ketosis? Doesn't whey alone elicit a slight insuligenic response? Does this mean no whey protein on a keto diet?

                        I am doing an almost no carb diet (keto???) because the last time I prepped for a show I got so hypoglycemic between carb meals I couldn't stand it. I'd feel like crap until my 4th meal of the day (protein/fat, no carbs), then I'd start feeling good. My first ever prep I did the diet I'm doing now and didn't have those feelings at all.
                        TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                        www.fitcorps.net

                        Comment


                        • Layne, what is your take on dessicated liver tablets??

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            isn't the whole point of a keto diet to keep insulin low? That's what all those guys seem to say (not that I agree that insulin is so evil)
                            With your level of knowledge I'm not sure if you're joking or simply being rhetoric, but according to my review of ketogenic dieting literature (and utilizing various ketogenic diets myself), the main benefit seemed to be the state of ketosis itself. Having your body prefer ketone bodies and FFAs as the primary source of energy over glucose, that is. Of course there are other benefits as well, such as almost a perfect lack of hunger even under severe caloric restriction (at least in my case). Another cool thing is that under ketonuria (a level of ketosis deep enough so that ketone bodies are present in the urine) you actually piss away fat! Of course the excretion of ketone bodies in the urine doesn't calorically add up to very much, but the idea is still pretty cool.

                            Comment


                            • Re-feed

                              Layne,

                              Tomorrow is my re-feed day (excited about that). Even though it is a day off from lifting, since I train first thing in the morning, I thought this would be best done the day before a leg day so Friday morning I have a 'full tank of gas'.

                              When doing HIIT, I know you do a PWO shake like lifting, but do you do a pre workout? I am going to have a solid meal in me at least an hour before.

                              Thanks!
                              www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                              www.heartlandclassic.com

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by U-Hulk View Post
                                With your level of knowledge I'm not sure if you're joking or simply being rhetoric, but according to my review of ketogenic dieting literature (and utilizing various ketogenic diets myself), the main benefit seemed to be the state of ketosis itself. Having your body prefer ketone bodies and FFAs as the primary source of energy over glucose, that is. Of course there are other benefits as well, such as almost a perfect lack of hunger even under severe caloric restriction (at least in my case). Another cool thing is that under ketonuria (a level of ketosis deep enough so that ketone bodies are present in the urine) you actually piss away fat! Of course the excretion of ketone bodies in the urine doesn't calorically add up to very much, but the idea is still pretty cool.
                                U-Hulk, So are you saying that you can be ketogenic and still utilize insuligenics like 4-hydroxy, k-r-ala, etc... and they will be effective and not decrease the benefits of the diet? This was my take and why I asked Layne the question
                                TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                                www.fitcorps.net

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X