Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the answers.

Comment

• 1 What is your opinion on CLA? Is it worth considering? If so how much serving would be beneficial?

2 What is your opinion on heavy floor presses in chest training?

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        I'm sure olympic movements could be beneficial if done with proper form to build power and explosiveness. I would stay in 3-10 rep range

Layne, may I?
        I agree that they will help with power and explosiveness, however I would have to disagree with your rep recomendations. I would say keep them at 4 reps per set or less. I would also add that they should be done first during the routine.

If the reps go much higher than 4, the muscle will start to fatigue and comprimise A) Explosivity (which is why you are doing them in the first place) and B) Form, due to fatigue.

They should be done first in the routine because of their complexity. If a given muscle group is already fatigued from prior moves it will prevent you from getting the most out of the Oly lifts for the same reasons as above.

Just my .02 Hope you didn't mind.

Joe

Comment

• fine with me joe, admittedly i know little of rep ranges usually used for Olifting
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• actually 1-3 reps would be a lil bit better for the o lifts.

Once your form starts to compromise in these lifts your really risking serious injury.

Its all neural with oly lifts not muscular so 1-3 reps is perfect for training the nervous system, anymore than that and u defeat the purpose of doing the lift.

Originally posted by tjoe View Post
            Layne, may I?
            I agree that they will help with power and explosiveness, however I would have to disagree with your rep recomendations. I would say keep them at 4 reps per set or less. I would also add that they should be done first during the routine.

If the reps go much higher than 4, the muscle will start to fatigue and comprimise A) Explosivity (which is why you are doing them in the first place) and B) Form, due to fatigue.

They should be done first in the routine because of their complexity. If a given muscle group is already fatigued from prior moves it will prevent you from getting the most out of the Oly lifts for the same reasons as above.

Just my .02 Hope you didn't mind.

Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by cuts280 View Post
              An excellent article by Mr Norton

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne45.htm

guess max-ot was made to sell supplements.

Comment

• Originally posted by certifiedStrenght View Post
                layne norton - In the Fast Layne
                haha thats a good one man. How about this:
                "Bodybuilding in the Norton Layne"

Got a question Layne.
                For the pre-workout meal (which is about 100-110 g Carbs for me), which is the better scenario?
                1) eat all the carbs 1.25 - 1.75 hours pre-workout and then 15-30 minutes before, have a shake of BCAAs and citrulline malate
                2) eat 3/4 of the carbs 1.25 - 1.75 hours pre-workout and then 15-30 minutes before, have a shake of 1/4 of the carbs (in the form of oats and dextrose, mostly oats; only like 8 g dextrose), BCAAs, and citrulline malate

I've been doing scenario 2 for some time and i think its unnecessary to have carbs that close to the workout. And if i start doing scenario 1, whats the best time to have that shake to reap benefit of citrulline malate... right before workout, T-minus 15 min, or T-minus 30 min??

I appreciate any help Layne; I wanna optimize nutrition now while i have time 'cuz when first yr uni comes in September i wont have time to think about it; just execute.

Comment

• Layne (or anyone else who may be able to answer), I was prescribed Hydrocodone for pain after I broke my finger. I only plan to take it for a short time, but was curious if it has any potentially negative effects on testosterone levels. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supernothing View Post
                    haha thats a good one man. How about this:
                    "Bodybuilding in the Norton Layne"

Got a question Layne.
                    For the pre-workout meal (which is about 100-110 g Carbs for me), which is the better scenario?
                    1) eat all the carbs 1.25 - 1.75 hours pre-workout and then 15-30 minutes before, have a shake of BCAAs and citrulline malate
                    2) eat 3/4 of the carbs 1.25 - 1.75 hours pre-workout and then 15-30 minutes before, have a shake of 1/4 of the carbs (in the form of oats and dextrose, mostly oats; only like 8 g dextrose), BCAAs, and citrulline malate

I've been doing scenario 2 for some time and i think its unnecessary to have carbs that close to the workout. And if i start doing scenario 1, whats the best time to have that shake to reap benefit of citrulline malate... right before workout, T-minus 15 min, or T-minus 30 min??

I appreciate any help Layne; I wanna optimize nutrition now while i have time 'cuz when first yr uni comes in September i wont have time to think about it; just execute.
                    honestly i think either one is fine
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by thagman View Post
                      Layne (or anyone else who may be able to answer), I was prescribed Hydrocodone for pain after I broke my finger. I only plan to take it for a short time, but was curious if it has any potentially negative effects on testosterone levels. Thanks in advance.
                      not that i could find
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Layne would you use for a weight gaining shake?
                        I heard of the old school jug method but wasn't sure if it was a good idea?
                        ????
                        I guess it what old bodybuilders used before weight gainer were sold as supplements?
                        1/2 gallon whole milk
                        2 cups no sugar added ice cream
                        2 cups heavy whipping cream
                        16 oz cottage cheese
                        2 bananas
                        6 whole eggs
                        6 scoops of whey protein
                        4 TBSP natural peanut butter

Drink it 3 times day WITH meals not as a replacement

Comment

• Originally posted by Spikes079 View Post
                          Layne would you use for a weight gaining shake?
                          ????
                          I guess it what old bodybuilders used before weight gainer were sold as supplements?
                          1/2 gallon whole milk
                          16 oz cottage cheese
                          2 bananas
                          6 whole eggs
                          6 scoops of whey protein

Comment

• Originally posted by Spikes079 View Post
                            Layne would you use for a weight gaining shake?
                            ????
                            1/2 gallon whole milk
                            16 oz cottage cheese
                            2 bananas
                            6 whole eggs
                            6 scoops of whey protein

So because I'm a nerd I did the macros for this conconction.
                            This is each shake:
                            Calories - 3506
                            Protein - 160
                            Fats - 210
                            Carbs - 270
                            At 3 a day is:
                            Calories - 10,518
                            Protein - 480
                            Fats - 630
                            Carbs - 810
                            What's your stats? Cause this is Jay Cutler numbers here
                            Assistant to the regional manager.
                            Iron8 approved

Comment

• that's pretty ridiculous and a good way to get fat
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Holy crap, that's at least 12,000 calories a day!

Hey Layne, I've shied away from sups and pills, not sure what actually works and what's hyped, and even read that things in pill format don't readily absorb as good as food does. I've probably read too much (your articles are quite good though), is there any good round multi out there you can vouch for? I feel kind of dumb with these questions, I've read quite a bit, but it seems EVERYTHING is good for ya, and I really don't know what to worry about specifically...

Comment

Working...
                                X