Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post

as far as creatine while cutting it will help maintain your fullness & cell volumization which very well may be anti-catabolic.

-Layne
    thank you

Comment

it's a suitible replacement for casein; however, it's around 50% lower in leucine than whey I think.
      the reason the prices went up is because a plan in new zealand that made about 40% of the world's whey closed down.
      I did some checking and no its about the same. Using TP's guide a scoop contains 2.22 G of Lueicne and using my Optimum Gold Standard Whey bag facts pannel its 2.5. Thats about the same just a few mg difference. I'm sure this would still be considered a "high in bcaa's protein source" like whey.

I didn't know the absorption was so slow that it would negate it from being a good pre-workout protein though?

As I understand it:

WHEY > EGG / SOY > CASEIN / Gemma (?). This is in terms of absorption rates.

Whey = 2 hours
      Casein = 2-7 hours
      Egg and Soy falling somewhere in between...

DO I have it right?
      "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

• absorption isn't as big of a deal as people think. Whey is actually significantly slower digestion when you combine it with carbs & fat. In my research; whey w/ carbs & fat will keep aminos plateaued for 3 hours and they will start falling off after that but at 5 hours post meal they are still elevated above baseline
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• cool fact about absorption because thats 1 of those things we get told "matters" alot. I sometimes put flaxseed oil in my casein bedtime shake.

anyways, would you consider GEMMA = SOY for the most part? Its also plant sourced so I assume it also has isoflavones?

Comment

• not sure
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Layne,

With fat burners, do you recommend that people use them on bulking cycles since they keep fat gain to a minimum?

Is there any explanation you can give as to why fat burners are better at keeping fat gain off when bulking rather than increasing fat loss when on a cut?

Finally, do you follow any protocal when you are gaining mass such as gaining at 1 pound a week etc....essentially, how fast do you allow yourself to gain?

Comment

• probably because during bulking your metabolism is already elevated in the offseason whereas in a caloric deficit it's likely to be very depressed. I dunno, it's more of a theory of me. Also many of the ingredients in these fat burners have been tested not by looking at how well they got subjects to drop weight, but how well they prevented weight gain when subjects were fed a high calorie diet.

I don't like to gain more than 0.5-1 lb per week
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• What you mention about absorption got me thinking back to this study with some trainers throw around alot lately.

It says basically Casein + Whey mix is superior to Whey + carb or Whey + Bcaa + Glutamine (close to what I do but i use 10 G BCAA) in terms of body mass improvement results.

Thus some were recommending to lifters 20 G of Casein + 20 G Whey pwo (even though the study itself seems to use 40 Whey + 8 Casein). CHeck the link below:

The Effects of Protein and Amino Acid Supplementation on Performance and Training Adaptations During Ten Weeks of Resistance Training

I dunno if your familiar with this study. What do you feel about it? Marketing over hype to get us to buy more expensive casein ($10+/lb) ? What is really ideal pwo wise?

These things influence my purchases. I know WHEY is needed but casein is expensive. Hell I may even start using WHey + 1-2 Table Spoon of Flaxseed Oil at bedtime from what you said. I had no idea.

Comment

• they didn't really control any variables in the rest of the diet throughout the rest of the day... makes it tough to draw conclusions
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

probably because during bulking your metabolism is already elevated in the offseason whereas in a caloric deficit it's likely to be very depressed. I dunno, it's more of a theory of me. Also many of the ingredients in these fat burners have been tested not by looking at how well they got subjects to drop weight, but how well they prevented weight gain when subjects were fed a high calorie diet.

I don't like to gain more than 0.5-1 lb per week
                      Damn, i didnt know you advocated fat burners when bulking phase, i guess you learn something new every day.

Do you take Dialene 4?

Comment

my point is that if he was taking it with his meal vanadyl has not been shown to increase insulin mediated glucose uptake... only basal. If he was getting these headaches between meals that would make sense; but not with meals

Vanadyl was taken with a Meals...NOT to Beat a Dead Horse....

Comment

• Layne,
                          I did not mean to start a war of words over a question in regards to Vanadyl. It is obviously just NOT needed here.

Thanks Again...

Comment

• Originally posted by Apex23 View Post
                            Layne,
                            I did not mean to start a war of words over a question in regards to Vanadyl. It is obviously just NOT needed here.

Thanks Again...
                            not your fault my friend, you were just trying to get some answers... i'm sorry it turned out the way it did.
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Layne,

Don't you think that Stimulants may increase cortisol too much? I would think that stimulants may be more effective when used to a bare minimum.

I know too many people that seem to rely on stimulants far too much. This used to be the case with me when I would use ECA 2x day everday for a few months. I definately lost some muscle.

Comment

• the less frequently you use stims is almost always better.
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X