Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • doesn't matter
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

    Comment


    • so as soon as i get home from gym (i sip xtend during workout) i should take some whey and eat oatmeal or eat chicken and oatmeal?

      Comment


      • hey layne i juz read e book GAME OVER vol. 2 by scivation team. it is the CUT DIET which talks about dieting down for a comp. there are certainly some interesting points in there! would like to ask u on a couple of them.

        1. the book claims that post workout carbs are detrimental to fat loss as it spikes insulin. do u agree with this?

        2. also it says that carbs SHOULD be consumed with fats and NOT CONSUMED with protein. i must say i find this piece of info surprising, as i always thought that fat and carbs should never be consumed together. wads your take on this?

        3. it also advocates carbing-up with your last meal at night. shouldnt ur largest quantities of carbs be consumed in e evening?

        the book is great with loads of new and interesting information. but it has seemed to raise more questions in me den answers haha....

        Comment


        • Originally posted by notle View Post
          2. also it says that carbs SHOULD be consumed with fats and NOT CONSUMED with protein. i must say i find this piece of info surprising, as i always thought that fat and carbs should never be consumed together. wads your take on this?
          Bogus as hell. If anything you should avoid high glycemic carbs and fat. Otherwise just mix them all up. Especially when I'm on a diet I like to have all the macro nutrients with every meal; it helps me feel more sated and full.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by notle View Post
            1. the book claims that post workout carbs are detrimental to fat loss as it spikes insulin. do u agree with this?.
            I'm not Layne but I know that one aint so. The body pwo is primed the most NOT to store fat then even with insulin. That article by Assni on PWO supplements mentioned in the Aug 07 MD issue addressed this. Research papers cited from Krzentowki, Bird as well as Folch all paint the picture that a reasonable insulin spike from carbs isn't all that bad following workout and the idea of fat gain is a moot issue.
            "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

            Comment


            • Originally posted by notle View Post
              hey layne i juz read e book GAME OVER vol. 2 by scivation team. it is the CUT DIET which talks about dieting down for a comp. there are certainly some interesting points in there! would like to ask u on a couple of them.

              1. the book claims that post workout carbs are detrimental to fat loss as it spikes insulin. do u agree with this?

              2. also it says that carbs SHOULD be consumed with fats and NOT CONSUMED with protein. i must say i find this piece of info surprising, as i always thought that fat and carbs should never be consumed together. wads your take on this?

              3. it also advocates carbing-up with your last meal at night. shouldnt ur largest quantities of carbs be consumed in e evening?

              the book is great with loads of new and interesting information. but it has seemed to raise more questions in me den answers haha....
              check out my article here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

              it contains many of my thoughts
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

              Comment


              • What do you reccomend for someone to bring out their vascularity out more? Suppliment wise.

                Comment


                • layne you're getting your phd in protein metabolism, so I thought you'd be a great person to ask this very speculative question of.... do you believe there is an upper limit to how much muscle mass, naturally, a body can accrue? I mean, if one were to continually provide ample stimulus to the muscle fibers to grow, and provide a caloric surplus what's to stop indefinite progress....I am always hearing about "natural limits" or filling ones "genetic potential" but in most cases it seems people just get very comfy with eating maintenance calories and lifting the same weights they have been lifting for years, and that maybe that is the true reason they aren't getting bigger as opposed to some "natural limit"....thoughts?
                  Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                  http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Quelly View Post
                    layne you're getting your phd in protein metabolism, so I thought you'd be a great person to ask this very speculative question of.... do you believe there is an upper limit to how much muscle mass, naturally, a body can accrue? I mean, if one were to continually provide ample stimulus to the muscle fibers to grow, and provide a caloric surplus what's to stop indefinite progress....I am always hearing about "natural limits" or filling ones "genetic potential" but in most cases it seems people just get very comfy with eating maintenance calories and lifting the same weights they have been lifting for years, and that maybe that is the true reason they aren't getting bigger as opposed to some "natural limit"....thoughts?
                    Good question that - one i was thinking about last week

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Quelly View Post
                      layne you're getting your phd in protein metabolism, so I thought you'd be a great person to ask this very speculative question of.... do you believe there is an upper limit to how much muscle mass, naturally, a body can accrue? I mean, if one were to continually provide ample stimulus to the muscle fibers to grow, and provide a caloric surplus what's to stop indefinite progress....I am always hearing about "natural limits" or filling ones "genetic potential" but in most cases it seems people just get very comfy with eating maintenance calories and lifting the same weights they have been lifting for years, and that maybe that is the true reason they aren't getting bigger as opposed to some "natural limit"....thoughts?
                      http://www.weightrainer.net/potential.html might be of some use.

                      The formula Casey Butt uses works to determine at like 8% bf with your body structure what your maximum weight would be. The calculations comes to within 1% accuracy in predicting +the size of many elite drug free bodybuilder's.
                      "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Meat View Post
                        What do you reccomend for someone to bring out their vascularity out more? Suppliment wise.
                        get leaner
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Quelly View Post
                          layne you're getting your phd in protein metabolism, so I thought you'd be a great person to ask this very speculative question of.... do you believe there is an upper limit to how much muscle mass, naturally, a body can accrue? I mean, if one were to continually provide ample stimulus to the muscle fibers to grow, and provide a caloric surplus what's to stop indefinite progress....I am always hearing about "natural limits" or filling ones "genetic potential" but in most cases it seems people just get very comfy with eating maintenance calories and lifting the same weights they have been lifting for years, and that maybe that is the true reason they aren't getting bigger as opposed to some "natural limit"....thoughts?
                          It's probably an asymtotic growth curve. Meaning when you first start lifting you grow very fast for a period of time, then it slows, then the gains get slower and slower and slower. I don't think they ever stop so long as you can stay healthy and eat right and keep getting stronger, but they just become very slow. Now once you hit 40-50 you probably aren't going to gain muscle after that just because various factors start working against you: reduced insulin sensitivity, decreased testosterone, etc.

                          That said, very very few people ever reach their 'genetic potential' most just use the term as a cop out.

                          -Layne
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            waste
                            Hey Layne:

                            Can you explain why you think its a waste in more detail if you have time? please

                            Thanks!
                            "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

                            Comment


                            • well what will you get out of them? aminos & vitamins? if you are eating a high protein diet and taking a multi then there is no need for them.

                              additionally, the liver is the 'trash filter' of the body. Not quite sure why you'd want to isolate that and eat it
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                                well what will you get out of them? aminos & vitamins? if you are eating a high protein diet and taking a multi then there is no need for them.

                                additionally, the liver is the 'trash filter' of the body. Not quite sure why you'd want to isolate that and eat it
                                There is a thread on the board talking about Liver Tabs. Some swear by them. My thinking was the same as you...if you eat red meat 1-2 times a week at least you can get the benefits. Same with supplementing Arachidonic acid.
                                What was interesting though is that the tabs nutritional panel some say is higher in vitamins than what is in a typical serving of red meats. I dunno if bio-availability is an issue too. Lastly, they contain hem which I know we should get to help build muscle but do we really need it extra like this I dunno.

                                I'm sure those liver tabs are cleaned (?) of toxins before they reach the shelf. I HOPE! Just seems to me like an out dated supplement people are trying to make vogue again.
                                "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X