Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    Bro, you don't think I've been through hell before? I've been through a 42 week diet. I was not trying to be condescending at all. I'm trying to make you understand. I know you don't want to fuck things up man, but I have no idea what all you've been doing to this point, and how am I supposed to give you detailed info if you've been doing something else your entire contest prep. I have put all this FREE info out there man. And I have previously addressed all your questions bro. You know I don't believe in cutting water or sodium. You know I don't think you should do a big heavy carb load if you are on a keto diet. what more do you want me to tell you?

You didn't offend me. I was just trying to make you understand my point of view.
    Sorry I took it that way Layne. I'm just really going through some panic attacks you know. Im just second,third, and fourth guessing myself with everything Im doing. I didnt mean to lash out. I want to make these last 18 weeks worth it and do the best I can. I dont want all this effort to be for not. But I can tell you that my diet has been the same all the way through. 40-45 grams of protein every 2-3 hours. Carbs have not changed AT ALL. Half cup of oats before lifting and half cup after. Cardio was 4 times a week on a stationary bike at level 6 for 17 minutes keep my RPM's at over 90 and usually over 100. Does this help? Can you direct me to the keto interview w/ Dave by any chance I could not find it.
    NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

oh I'm not mad at all or anything like that. I just have to draw a line somewhere. I've put all this info out there for free I KNOW it hurts my business. How many people have used my precontest diet with success? I know it has to be around the thousands. I could have kept that to myself but I like hearing people say my stuff helped them so I do it. At times it does get tiring when people continue to ask questions than I have covered extensively in all my free info I have out there. People want me to spoon feed them info and frankly, that's where I draw the line. I'm not mad at crou and I hope he understands my position.

I give you credit. You have patience like a saint! People are lazy! They will ask you something that they could find out with a little research but figure what the heck, I'll just ask Layne. LOL

Thats why I say the things I do in the manner I do. Is it right? HELL NO! I truly know that and feel bad afterwards but like in life, once you say something you cant take it back.
      TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
      Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Comment

• Originally posted by crou View Post
        Sorry I took it that way Layne. I'm just really going through some panic attacks you know. Im just second,third, and fourth guessing myself with everything Im doing. I didnt mean to lash out. I want to make these last 18 weeks worth it and do the best I can. I dont want all this effort to be for not. But I can tell you that my diet has been the same all the way through. 40-45 grams of protein every 2-3 hours. Carbs have not changed AT ALL. Half cup of oats before lifting and half cup after. Cardio was 4 times a week on a stationary bike at level 6 for 17 minutes keep my RPM's at over 90 and usually over 100. Does this help? Can you direct me to the keto interview w/ Dave by any chance I could not find it.
        Check your PM

When I was 19 I was getting ready for my first show and had no guidence. I started emailing Dr. Joe Klemczewski (the man who would later become a mentor to me and later a good friend) and Joe helped me immensely. Adjusted my diet for me, told me about protein/carbs/fats, this thoughts on water & sodium, etc. Very patient with me, but at a point he told me that the level of detail I was requiring (I basically requested a final week plan) and he had to draw the line. He was very nice about it and just said he would meet with me personally and detail everything for me but he had to get some compensation for the level of detail I was requiring. At that point I realized I had been a brat and was being inconsiderate of him. Here is a man who makes his livelyhood on this and I was milking him for all he was worth and not giving anything back. However, Joe was cool about it and has always gone above and beyond to help me and I never forgot that.

In the same way I understand what you are going through... like I said... I've been there, but at a certain point I have to draw the line. Despite my glamor (sarcasm) I'm not a rich guy... I'm in school just like you and trying to support myself and my future wife. I've got loans just like you... I'm just a regular guy ya know?

Hope you understand. I'm not offended at all and I wish you the BEST.

-Layne
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• One VERY important note on the use of Aldactone. It is EXTREMELY estrogenic! I know a lot of natural bodybuilders are steroid free but use diuretics as I have in the past. It is a very effective tool for some but for others it will cause more harm than good. Once estrogen rises so does water retention.

Comment

• Layne:

Is there really any benefit to using Whey hydrolysate. Can you get a good PWO shake with just Whey Concentrate and Isolate. I hear hydrolysates talked about so much but is it overhype.
            "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

• Layne,

Mega props for everything you do. Quick question, I have read this article that you wrote: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm. My question is, do you still follow this (not sure how long ago it was published)? I know how science and things evolve and I was wondering if there was a more current article or if this one still holds your beliefs (specifically the last week). I'm with you that you don't want to do anything crazy, but a gradual carb up on Fri & Sat along with a mild Na reduction seems to make sense as you've outlined in this article.

Thanks again!
              www.naturaliowamuscle.com
              www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnvil View Post
                Layne:

Is there really any benefit to using Whey hydrolysate. Can you get a good PWO shake with just Whey Concentrate and Isolate. I hear hydrolysates talked about so much but is it overhype.
                Im not layne, but i think as far as Whey Concentrate and Isolate go as a PWO shake, there just fine, quick digesting protien which is good. Also Bcaa's are excellent pre and post workout. I also use protien shakes if i need to up my protien intake, as i find them a quick way to get protien in. Aslong as you stick with your basic nutrition im sure you'll be fine. What people forget to remember is that, all these supplements are good, but nothing beats good old nutrition which comes your food, chicken breast, eggs, fish, beef etc....(protiens)...Back in the day, bodybuilders didnt have a big range of supplements which we use now days, this just goes to show, its all about hard training and the basics!

Comment

• Originally posted by sfightery2k View Post
                  Im not layne, but i think as far as Whey Concentrate and Isolate go as a PWO shake, there just fine, quick digesting protien which is good. Also Bcaa's are excellent pre and post workout. I also use protien shakes if i need to up my protien intake, as i find them a quick way to get protien in. Aslong as you stick with your basic nutrition im sure you'll be fine. What people forget to remember is that, all these supplements are good, but nothing beats good old nutrition which comes your food, chicken breast, eggs, fish, beef etc....(protiens)...Back in the day, bodybuilders didnt have a big range of supplements which we use now days, this just goes to show, its all about hard training and the basics!
                  I suggest you let LAYNE answer the questions since its his thread and 1000 times more qualified.

Just curious why anyone would use CONCENTRATE or HYDROSOLATE.

Why would you use BCAAs with any whey product. 50 grams protein is 12,500 mgs of BCAAS how much is overkill?

Comment

• Originally posted by DEDICATE92 View Post
                    Layne,

Mega props for everything you do. Quick question, I have read this article that you wrote: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm. My question is, do you still follow this (not sure how long ago it was published)? I know how science and things evolve and I was wondering if there was a more current article or if this one still holds your beliefs (specifically the last week). I'm with you that you don't want to do anything crazy, but a gradual carb up on Fri & Sat along with a mild Na reduction seems to make sense as you've outlined in this article.

Thanks again!
                    only change i know of is 2 carb ups a week (on both his leg days)

Comment

• Originally posted by sfightery2k View Post
                      i agree with this, though i do think whey may be so slightly better than food sources due to it's digestibility & high leucine content
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by warbird00 View Post
                        only change i know of is 2 carb ups a week (on both his leg days)
                        yea, some other minor changes but that's really it
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsta View Post
                          I suggest you let LAYNE answer the questions since its his thread and 1000 times more qualified.

Just curious why anyone would use CONCENTRATE or HYDROSOLATE.

Why would you use BCAAs with any whey product. 50 grams protein is 12,500 mgs of BCAAS how much is overkill?

Tipsta:

Layne answered this before (I asked him even once) as to why take free form BCAAs with a WHEY shake. Around workout times you want to SPIKE the levels of BCAA/LEUCINE in the blood. This can't happen with food or whey because these things have to be digested. Think of it as a flood vs a trickle in the faucet. You can get a spike from whey but free form bcaa's taken extra will make an even greater peak.

He has posts on this in this thread if you use the search. I was too lazy to copy some in my reply.

So its smart to take extra Leucine or BCAA with your Whey PWO shake (eventho your shake has BCAA in it once broken down). Its not overkill at all. Layne himself takes 10-15 G of BCAAs with his PWO shakes and 5G throughout the day. So thats liek 20-25G Free form aminos at least a day. You should also read some of his articles on bodybuilding.com on the benefits of BCAAs.

Sam's club has this cheap Whey which I was wondering if its decent because it lacks hydrolayes. I guess it doesnt really matter. Its a mix of isolate and concenrate.
                          "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnvil View Post
                            Tipsta:

Layne answered this before (I asked him even once) as to why take free form BCAAs with a WHEY shake. Around workout times you want to SPIKE the levels of BCAA/LEUCINE in the blood. This can't happen with food or whey because these things have to be digested. Think of it as a flood vs a trickle in the faucet. You can get a spike from whey but free form bcaa's taken extra will make an even greater peak.

He has posts on this in this thread if you use the search. I was too lazy to copy some in my reply.

So its smart to take extra Leucine or BCAA with your Whey PWO shake (eventho your shake has BCAA in it once broken down). Its not overkill at all. Layne himself takes 10-15 G of BCAAs with his PWO shakes and 5G throughout the day. So thats liek 20-25G Free form aminos at least a day. You should also read some of his articles on bodybuilding.com on the benefits of BCAAs.

Sam's club has this cheap Whey which I was wondering if its decent because it lacks hydrolayes. I guess it doesnt really matter. Its a mix of isolate and concenrate.

Since I dont believe in using anything other than Red meat and White potato pwo myself this doesnt apply and besides I cant see a benefit to taking in 30,000 mgs of any amino acid let alone over 100,000 daily because thats what it would come to. I follow Duchaines advice on using Whey as 30% of protein intake. Actually I use it at 50%. I could see a benefit by adding BCAAS to my Red Meat however.

Comment

Check your PM

When I was 19 I was getting ready for my first show and had no guidence. I started emailing Dr. Joe Klemczewski (the man who would later become a mentor to me and later a good friend) and Joe helped me immensely. Adjusted my diet for me, told me about protein/carbs/fats, this thoughts on water & sodium, etc. Very patient with me, but at a point he told me that the level of detail I was requiring (I basically requested a final week plan) and he had to draw the line. He was very nice about it and just said he would meet with me personally and detail everything for me but he had to get some compensation for the level of detail I was requiring. At that point I realized I had been a brat and was being inconsiderate of him. Here is a man who makes his livelyhood on this and I was milking him for all he was worth and not giving anything back. However, Joe was cool about it and has always gone above and beyond to help me and I never forgot that.

In the same way I understand what you are going through... like I said... I've been there, but at a certain point I have to draw the line. Despite my glamor (sarcasm) I'm not a rich guy... I'm in school just like you and trying to support myself and my future wife. I've got loans just like you... I'm just a regular guy ya know?

Hope you understand. I'm not offended at all and I wish you the BEST.

-Layne
                              Layne,
                              Checked the PM... thanks man I appreciate it alot. Ya I should have thought about your situation a little more instead of focusing on mine and being selfish. I'm glad you're not offended and thanks for the wishes.

-Jim
                              NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• no problem bro, i'm glad you understand and we have come to an agreement. I'm sorry if I seemed condescending, it was not my intent
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X